In it for the long haul, want friends who are too

Options
Hi I'm Rae, I have over 100+ lbs to lose and am working on making sustainable lifestyle changes for my health. My youngest child is 9months old and I developed gestational diabetes during the pregnancy. It was good and bad - I ate better than I had in 20 years and lost 30 lbs, but have put it all back on. I got just a taste of what it is like to have less pain in my body, more energy, and more room to move around - and I want to have it again, but for life. So I'm taking it slow, am adjusting my portions, lowering my carb intake (by choosing better for me carbs), getting back to exercising, and bringing my family along with me (2 boys and a hubby).

I'm not into drastic or VLC diets, shaming to motivate, or being a gym junkie - I've been there and all it did was help me to gain more weight over my life.

I'm looking for friends who will be supportive, help motivate me, may be experiencing similiar journeys, etc. I know this will be a hard and challenging journey for me, I'm trying to be as positive as I can to make my life livable again.

Wanna help each other out? Friend me!

Replies

• Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am in it for the long haul too. I have almost 200 lbs to lose. I sent you a friend request :)
  • ThisIsForMyLife
    ThisIsForMyLife Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hooray! lovely to meet you! I've added you.:smile:
  • emsoquena
    emsoquena Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I sure would love to help out! Add me as a friend. :)
  • lynette778
    Options
    I'm making the changes for the long haul too. I"m 47 and am trying to make serious changes to lose close to 200 pounds,
  • Msbarnes91
    Msbarnes91 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a long way to go as well, and I am sending you a request!!!
  • CarrieR3
    CarrieR3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :)
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    My ticker says it all :)
  • Shim2013
    Shim2013 Posts: 48
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. Would like for others to add me as well. :)
  • lllooper
    lllooper Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have100+ pounds to lose as well! MFP is a great place! I'll send you a friend add, if you don't mind!
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hi Rae and welcome to MFP! You will find so many wonderful people that have similar goals as you. I have type2 diabetes and am trying to get that under control. I have been on MFP since January 3 and have lost almost 25 lbs. It is amazing to get healthy again...I've been unhealthy for so long!

With honest and faithful tracking of your food and exercise, you will begin to see results. Work hard and you too will be a success story. The fact that you have already introduced yourself, is a step in the right direction. You have good reasons to do this...your family! It is never too early to teach them the right things to eat.

Again, welcome!
  • Nina_mb
    Nina_mb Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi! I joined the site yesterday and I need to lose 100+ lbs. Feel free to add me!
  • kailexx
    kailexx Posts: 197
    Options
    I'm looking to lose close to 100 pounds myself, and am looking for similar things! I've added you! :)
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm in this for the long haul as well. I'm half through and have been at it for about 18-months. I always welcome new friends.
  • carriej82
    carriej82 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. I have 50lbs-ish to lose.
  • badpenguin
    Options
    I'min it for the long haul too I'll friend you.
  • 36721rm
    36721rm Posts: 1
    Options
    I was new to the site about a year ago and have decided to become active again. I just do not seem to have the discipline to make it week after week. I know my eating habits are poor, right now I work long hours and very little time to cook. However, this will be coming to an end shortly and time will open up for me, I plan to get back on board and back to the gym. I don't love the gym but know how important it is for my body. I want to loose about 25 lbs and just need others to help me stay on track.
  • chaasch
    chaasch Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, Rae,
    I am afraid I am in it for the long haul, too. I never had a weight problem in my youth -- but, no wonder, I took 4 ballet classes per week, from a very demanding, highly professional dance master (sometimes our toes bled right through the tips of the toe shoes) and also I showed event horses competitively. In college I was on a varsity polo team, plus swam and did downhill skiing for gym. After college I exercised Thoroughbred racehorses plus ran my own stable, training horses professionally. I gained 56 pounds when I was pregnant with my (only) daughter, but managed to lose all but 20 of it. So, that extra 20 hung on around my middle until 2005, when I was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Then, they gave me massive doses of steroids for the operation, which had to be tapered slowly, even though they made me eat like a fiend, plus, I woke up paralyzed. I did succeed in learning to walk again, but I gained 62 lbs. from the ordeal, and have only lost 20 of them in the subsequent 7 years. It's been a see -saw -- lose 18, gain 22, lose 32, gain 40. I have done the hcg diet (a VLCD -- very low calorie diet), I have tried Sensa, raspberry ketones, prescription diet pills, green coffee extract, acai, rhodiola, and a no-carb (Adkins) diet. That last is the only thing that seemed to really work. But to give up all carbohydrates, to me, is practically everything that's any good --_!!!! Ice cream, bread, beans, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, chocolate. . . the only things I can eat are leafy greens (leeks, fennel, radicchio, lettuce, cabbage, chicory, kale, spinach, celery, radishes, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, peppers, bok choy, asparagus) and protein. Preferably fish or chicken. Although I gotta admit I cheat and eat steaks and hamburger in there, too. Sometimes I cheat with cheese. String cheese (low fat mozzarella) or cottage cheese. Oh, yeah, and I can also have apples, strawberries, grapefruit, or oranges. I figure a clementine is like an orange so I cheat with those too. No cherries, melon, berries, bananas. . .no avocado, plaintain, peaches, apricots, guava, mango, pineapple, coconut. . . sigh. I have SO much respect for overweight people, now. It is SUCH a struggle! Last time I lost weight I lost 32 lbs. in 8 months and kept it off for 2 years. Or more accurately, I didn't keep it off, it just took an entire 2 years to creep back on. Now I'm 3 days into a diet, again. I KNOW I won't be able to resist all the good food in life for the entire rest of my life (which is what it will take for me to stay slender) but I'm hoping to be able to stick with the diet 16 months, this time, instead of only 8, thereby losing all 64 pounds which I need to do to to get to my "ideal" weight of 177 lbs. Which sounds really high, except that's what a registered dietician concluded, with that test where they send small pulses of electricity through you to determine your true fat to muscle ratio (I forget what it's called). Actually if I could just get below 200 and stay there, I'd probably be satisfied with that. (Remember, I said the extra 20 hung around my middle for years, pre-tumor?) My most recent research blames my hormones (yes! I had a total hysterectomy/oophorectomy in 2004 -- my uterus and tubes were tumorous, too). It is supposed that my adiponectin is low (intermittent fasting -- every other day -- is what it takes to fix that) my ghrelin is high (no sleep deprivation is what it takes to fix that, yet I'm on call at the hospital at least 2 nights per week) I probably have insulin resistance (eat more magnesium) and my cortisol is high (do slow deep breathing exercises 8 times per day). And, oh yeah, I don't drink enough. 4 cups per day, and it's supposed to be 8. And needless to say I barely ride anymore -- I feel too sorry for my horses to expect them to cart my lardy *kitten* around any more. Still being lame, I can't run (I'll fall down) and have to walk slow. Although I could use a treadmill (since it has handholds). And I could use the hospital's equipment, for free! But so far I can't seem to psyche myself up enough to do it. I AM wearing a pedometer, at least, trying to get to 10,000 steps today (instead, I have been averaging between 4,000 and 6,000 per day, and as I say, they are slow ones.) I could sure use a buddy. There are times when I just give up, I just pig out on what is bad for me. I know I am undoing all the work of the last 2 or 3 weeks, and I just can't stop myself. It is so depressing!
    Sincerely,
    Candy
  • jdekost81
    jdekost81 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have well over 100 pounds to lose. I lost 60 last year, and gained about 35 of it back, so now I am working to get it in gear again. Its not an easy process, but happy I am still here and trying. :) Anyone is welcome to add me!
  • nursemegan
    nursemegan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm in it for the long haul too! I finally have gotten tired of being unhealthy and overweight. I have struggled with my weight for most of my adult life and have tried all sorts of different exercise programs and changes to the way I eat. This time it just feels different and I'm finally feeling more motivated than I ever have. I have a supportive husband, but am also looking for some friends going through the same thing to share support with. I have about 70 pounds to lose, it looks like a big mountain most days, but I am determined to do it! Nice to meet you!
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hello! Feel free to add me! I have two daughters and a hubby. I've lost a substantial amount of weight in the past 4 years, and started on MFP after having my second baby girl last year. I have 22 more pounds left to lose, and they are sticking to me like glue!