Is pausing a failure and end of set, or does it still count?

Options
Okay, I've started doing the NROL4W. Stage 1 Group A calls for 2 sets of 15 reps of push-ups with a 60 second rest between sets (well actually you alternate sets with another exercise... but anyway...). I cannot up and down non-stop for 15 reps. I get maybe 5, then a 2 second max breather while I'm stuck on the floor, then up a couple more, breather, up a couple more, breather... Doing 15 like this .... is that 15 reps in one set? or should I be counting only the first 5 that I did non-stop? Does a couple seconds regrouping matter?

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Since you're just starting out, this is good to see where you're at physically. Stop, breathe, then keep going if you have to. Next time, focus on doing one more before you stop. You'll soon find yourself progressing just because you're working your body.

When I first started out running, I couldn't even run from one bench to the next (which were probably only 10 yards apart) and last I ran, I did two straight miles, just by adding a little at a time. Once I could run from bench to bench, I focused on pushing myself to running to two benches.

You're going in the right direction so keep on heading that way. :drinker:
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Thanks! But, how should I log it?

They urge us to keep a training journal. We have goals for each set. Then you log your actual performance and how much weight you used. So, should I be logging BW(bodyweight)/15 to say I did 15 reps at bodyweight... or should I log BW/5 since that is how many I did till I had to breathe for a second or two? I did 15 over all.... but is that how I should be logging it?
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    log it how you want...i think you are thinking too hard about it.

long as you make progress.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    You did 15 overall, so I would count 15.
    If you had completely quit after 5, then I would say 5.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I would probably just make note of how often you had to stop in addition to the number you did, and then watch how you progress....you will see that you need to take fewer and fewer breaks as you go along.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Yes, this. For what it's worth, almost none of my exercises are done in a perfectly fluid and constant motion. Especially my last few reps of the major movements like squat, deadlift, bench, OHP. I have to pause for up to 5 seconds to squeeze out that last rep. As long as I'm making progress it doesn't matter. Log it as the actual amount of reps you completed, IMO. You're overcomplicating it otherwise.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Absolutely. OP, don't over think it. When the progress stops, then figure out what to change.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Agreed
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I think those little mini set breaks are helpful. I do them when I need to. When I log my workout, I just make note where I paused and how many total I did. Then next time, I try to do more before needing to pause until eventually I don't even need to pause at all.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I think those little mini set breaks are helpful. I do them when I need to. When I log my workout, I just make note where I paused and how many total I did. Then next time, I try to do more before needing to pause until eventually I don't even need to pause at all.

That sounds like a plan :smile:
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    do pushups on a smith machine bar set a few feet off the ground. the increased angle of your body will make the pushups easier. When you can do 15, drop a rung on the smith machine and go for 15 again. repete until you can do them from the floor.

remember though, elbows tucked into your body and and bar touches your chest, not your shoulders.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    A couple of seconds every handful of reps? Yes - log it as one set. If you fully stop - as in come out of the position - then I'd say no.

In fact, some lifters/trainers advocate that when doing heavy lifting - where you'd be resting for 3-5 minutes between sets - re-racking the weight for 15 seconds if you can't complete the set in one go and then completing the set. Obviously, it's a bit different when doing push-ups, but the point is that a few seconds - short, compared to the prescribed rest time - is fine to take, if necessary.

Don't worry - keep it up, and you'll be cranking out 15 pushups and feel like you could do 15 more.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    When I log that scenario I do it as follows:

pushups 15:5,5,3,2

That tells me that I did one set and it was 15 total and that I did it as you described: 5, pause, 5, pause, 3, pause, 2

Maybe the next time I can log:

pushups 15:8,5,2

If my goal is 2 sets of 15 then eventually I'll be able to log it as:

pushups 2*15

which will tell me that I was able to do 2 sets of 15 with no pauses during a set