Whole Milk VS. Low Fat/ Non-fat Milk

Options

Replies

• MandyPhoe
    MandyPhoe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if this has been a topic in the past. However, I am rather curious on the general consensus here, given that there has been much debate by nutritionists on whole milk VS low-fat/ non-fat milk.

Personally, I am partial to whole milk because of the general taste. I've grown up loving milk and when I have gone through years of drinking the skim stuff. Somehow, it just didn't cut it for me. I found that it didn't satisfy me the way whole milk did.

What are your thoughts on this MFP?

I'm the opposite. I grew up with whole milk and have always thought it was vile. I used to put ice in it. Soon as I got my own place it was skim for me. I can tolerate 2% and can cook with whole but can't drink it. *shudders* For me it's about taste vs fat and calories.

Now yogurt on the other hand, there is NOTHING like whole yogurt, yum.

Completely agree with you on whole yogurt!!! Greek Yogurt + A teaspoonful of nutella is my favourite not-so-guilty-cheat-treat. ;)
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I hate milk.
    Milk hates me. :frown:
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I know Dr. Oz isn't very well liked by some MFPers, but he made the point that skim milk is nothing but milk sugar. That contributes (does not outright cause) to metabolic issues including diabetes. I have had issues my whole life and was raised on skim milk because my Mom was a very early Weight Watchers member. My husband was raised on whole milk and has no weight issues. I think there is something to what he has to say. Unfortunately I am unable to develop a liking for whole milk. I am trying to make the switch to almond milk. If I could I would join your team! :smile:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    There are some studies showing that whole milk may have health benefits that low-fat milk does not, including being more helpful in weight control. However, I believe the criticism of these studies is that they were sponsored by the dairy producers.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with you on whole yogurt!!! Greek Yogurt + A teaspoonful of nutella is my favourite not-so-guilty-cheat-treat. ;)

SHUT UP. You did not just say that. You can put nutella in yogurt? *dies*

Edited because you're the OP and I don't have to apologize for the derailment of the thread into nutella <3!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    “There’s only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water lying about being milk.”

skim-milk.gif
    ron-skim-milk.gif

Just...thank you for the opportunity.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    “There’s only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water lying about being milk.”

skim-milk.gif
    ron-skim-milk.gif

Just...thank you for the opportunity.

I just saw this today. Oh Ron Swanson *swoon*
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i prefer 2% milk. mind, i havent had whole milk in 15 years, and the one time DH bought no fat milk, i just about killed him...
    having said that, i tried a coconut based milk replacement, and IMO it made my protein shake taste better than the milk did. but coffee and hot chocolate are better with the "real" stuff.

(now i'll watch and wait for the milk-opposition to jump out of the woodworks...)
  • MandyPhoe
    Options
    i prefer 2% milk. mind, i havent had whole milk in 15 years, and the one time DH bought no fat milk, i just about killed him...
    having said that, i tried a coconut based milk replacement, and IMO it made my protein shake taste better than the milk did. but coffee and hot chocolate are better with the "real" stuff.

(now i'll watch and wait for the milk-opposition to jump out of the woodworks...)

LMAO!!! @ Milk-opposition! I have heard a lot of positives and negatives about coconut based replacement.... never ventured that direction because I am allergic. That said, IMHO, life's just better with whole milk. Perhaps it is the fat content or something, it just satisfies.

(dodges flying shoe from whomever)
  • MandyPhoe
    Options

SHUT UP. You did not just say that. You can put nutella in yogurt? *dies*

Edited because you're the OP and I don't have to apologize for the derailment of the thread into nutella <3!

Whoops. Sorry... did I commit message board faux pas??? Sorry... rookie mistake. :S

But .... I am not sorry for greek yogurt and nutella (just remember..... MODERATION.... a little goes a LOOOOONNNNGGGG way)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if this has been a topic in the past. However, I am rather curious on the general consensus here, given that there has been much debate by nutritionists on whole milk VS low-fat/ non-fat milk.

Personally, I am partial to whole milk because of the general taste. I've grown up loving milk and when I have gone through years of drinking the skim stuff. Somehow, it just didn't cut it for me. I found that it didn't satisfy me the way whole milk did.

What are your thoughts on this MFP?
    Excuse me
    :drinker:
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't much care for the taste/texture of whole milk but I love 1%.

I don't know about the health benefits of one over the other, though so I'm not much help.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Whole milk is fine as long as you can fit it within your calorie amount and macros
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is the bomb :explode:
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I use fat free milk

I get my fats from other sources cause I want to eat a variety of food. there is nothing wrong with either choice as long as you get your macronutrients filled
  • Lisafrazier71
    Lisafrazier71 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    We recently switched to sweet acidophilus milk. I am not sure if it is sold everywhere or just here in the south, can't recall ever seeing it when I lived up north? It is 1% but has pro-biotics (Acidophilus & Bidfidobacterium cultures), 100-110 calories in a cup depending on which brand and 12 grams of suger. Idk why they call it "sweet" it doesn't taste any different than regular milk, but tastes more like whole milk than regular 1 or 2%. It's REALLY YUMMY :D And the older folks I have met around here swear by it for good digestion.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options

- Ron MF Swanson
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I used to drink half-and-half for a while. :D
  • Grabbit5
    Grabbit5 Posts: 9
    Options
    Fat keeps you full. I've just lost 15lbs by adding real fats back into my diet and not getting sucked into the "low-fat, low-cal" manufactured diet foods. We're marketed that fat is the enemy, but that is not always the case. If it's a natural, good fat, don't be scared of it. When fats are removed from natural products, that can sometimes indicate that other synthetic stuff has been added in its place.