Sugar addict

Options
mcwhit
mcwhit Posts: 44 Member
I love sweets. They're my "trigger." I've been doing better. Tracking food. Not eating my usual treats (ice cream, cookies, chocolate). Working out really hard every day. Finally dropped a few.

Then, this weekend, I lost it. Sweets!!! Can't eat one M&M, I have to eat half a container. Then I want more.... Ice cream!

So, I'm thinking it's time to give up refined sugars. I clearly can't handle it and thwart my weight-loss efforts. All those calories I burned--undone so quickly.

Anyone else have sugar "issues?" Anyone given it up?

Would love advice/stories. Thanks!!

Replies

• AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm a "need to have chocolate everyday" person. On top of having tea with lots of sugar. For me, it because it didn't fit my calories anymore. I switched out to eat apples and grapes, grapes are nice and sweet.

Then, I started to find lower calorie alternatives. Skinny cow chocolate truffle bars are my fave...just as good as a fudgesicle! I eat the fiber one brownies. I have special k chocolate crisps. (100 cals).

These items usually have less sugar but still satisfy. Now, when I eat a regular cookie, it tastes too sweet! I NEVER thought I'd say that.

One thing that helped me was cutting out the pop as well. Vanilla almond milk is my sweet drink of choice now.

You can do it, just find alternatives...or..don't bring it home! Good luck!
  • RAEQ127
    RAEQ127 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, but sadly I haven't figured out how to stop. Quitting smoking was easier. I just fit it within my calories for the time being. I've cut sweet tea, which was MAJOR. It only took one time going through McDonald's for a large tea and seeing it was 300 calories to stop me dead in my tracks.
  • BmrSnrAlly
    BmrSnrAlly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I too have had a very hard time with sugar! It felt impossible to pass up on the cupcakes in the office, or the cheesecake after dinner, or the ice cream ANY time of day! ha I have started making baked goods with stevia and xylitol as well as oat flour as opposed to regular flour, and adding in protein. They're actually really tasty and good for you! It has helped me see that I don't have to necessarily have the "junk" to get a sweet tooth fill. Below is a link to some of the recipes I have been making. The cinnamon swirl bread, and pumpkin protein bars are favorites for both me and my (picky) husband. Maybe they'll help you too!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-recipes-main-page.html

Also, if you're on instagram, there are lots of people on there who post clean or at least healthier dessert/sweet type foods that I like to try. jazzythings, fitalicious_me, and tastyhealth all have yummy treats with generally easy recipes.
  • katrinajMiles
    katrinajMiles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Alot of people have this issue and I am also one of them sugar is so addictive and pretty much the biggest reason why so many people don't loose weight.

I found the thing that best worked for me was after lunch I would have ONE piece of 85% chocolate it's rich so you don't really crave more but also because it has the sugars it gets me through.

Also another good thing is to replace bad sugars with natural sugars like a small serving of berries or fruit.

One thing that really helped me is finding replacements for all the things i love so i still feel like i get them as a treat but it's a healthier option.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I find that there are certain sweets that it's just impossible for me to eat in moderation. These include M&Ms, sour patch kids, and other candies. However, there are some sweets that I can handle, like dark chocolate and toffee, so I'll keep those in my cupboard instead.

I also find that it helps to buy the pricey fancy stuff. There's no way I'm going to eat all of it in one sitting if I forked out the cash for it!