10 Things You Need to Know to Lose Weight

Options

Replies

• SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    My top ten things (scientifically proven, by me :laugh:)

Seriously though do what works for you. I have never done "low fat" anything, I drink whole milk (yes you heard me WHOLE) which compared to "real cows milk" is just watered down processed crap. I work out and though I don't have to work out to lose weight my *kitten* certainly looks better. Loose skin and a soft body just don't do it for me. I eat a lot of lean meats, and a lot of red meat. I also eat a lot of veggies, well... I just eat a lot of everything.

I don't consider sitting on the couch working my thumbs working out either. I lose about 5lbs a month, but inches. 11 weeks after my daughter is born and I am almost at a 6 pack

But this is me. This works for me. Me. :) have fun with what works for YOU.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I believed you until you spelled exercise wrong....
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    the-difference-between-science-and-screwing-around.jpeg

So true! I conduct research for a living, and most days consist of me screwing around and taking pictures and notes of what makes the biggest mess lol!
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Seriously though do what works for you. I have never done "low fat" anything, I drink whole milk (yes you heard me WHOLE) which compared to "real cows milk" is just watered down processed crap. I work out and though I don't have to work out to lose weight my *kitten* certainly looks better. Loose skin and a soft body just don't do it for me. I eat a lot of lean meats, and a lot of red meat. I also eat a lot of veggies, well... I just eat a lot of everything.

I don't consider sitting on the couch working my thumbs working out either. I lose about 5lbs a month, but inches. 11 weeks after my daughter is born and I am almost at a 6 pack

Thank you for this. I believe your science more, because it was proven.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I also believe your since, because I see no reason to believe you are doing anything wrong, fan-tabulous job. I drink skim 'cause I hated the hell out of milk my 'whole' life except the past few years...when I have discovered an amazing drink called the chai latte :tongue:
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options

I also believe your since, because I see no reason to believe you are doing anything wrong, fan-tabulous job. I drink skim 'cause I hated the hell out of milk my 'whole' life except the past few years...when I have discovered an amazing drink called the chai latte :tongue:
    Absolutely kid tested and mother approved :smokin:

Did I see chai latte? Yum!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    PHYLITA: Good post. Don't get discouraged by all the *kitten* throwing shyt at your post.

Out of all the things you listed, writing down/ tracking what I stuff in my pie hole has had the biggest effect.

Oh...and it won't be long before some dork posts that you forgot to post "lift heavy"..."do squats and deadlifts..."
    I think you just called yourself a dork...
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    1, 2, 5, 8. 9 and 10 aren't bad ... it's not all a load of crap. Soup ... really? IMO, Soup runs right through you and is usually loaded with sodium ... pretty worthless, no matter what the commercials tell us. I limit dairy ... so I guess I am doomed to be fat, although I have lost quite a bit of weight since I do very little dairy (only a little cheese) now and am smaller than I have been in 30 years - I am 52 now. Many people don't agree with cutting calories ... but I do ... 1200 is what I do with protein as my focus. Sorry you are getting slammed so hard, but don't set yourself up as an expert unless you truly are ... which obviously you aren't. None of us are experts on what works for everyone ... otherwise we wouldn't be here. My favorites are the smaller plate and increasing your protein intake (as the protein keeps you full longer - my experience only). Best of luck to all!
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It made the point with scientifically proven studies and experiments, so if we can incorporate most or all of these points, I think we'd find those pounds falling away?

LOL. What are these scientifically proven studies and experiments you speak of? Can you site any of them?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The one thing I needed to know:

1. www.myfitnesspal.com

I used it exactly as directed (ignoring all the crap people say on the forums) and had no problems losing and I've maintained easily for almost 2 years now. :drinker:
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    all I can say is just do whats right for you. I do organic fat free milk just cuz I only use in my protein shakes so who cares what it is that's in it. I am now following In Place Of A Road Map, <-- Amazing look it up on MFP. I also lift weights and just pretty much move as much as I can. I can say the plate one is a good one, I did cut mine down to a lunch size 10" and measure everything and it makes it look like a HUGE portion so my mind thinks, " OH BOY!! FOOD GALORE!!!" ....so meh :3
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    All of these are false, but I had a huge LOL @ 7.

Listen up, lactose intolerant people (80% of the world's population), there is no hope for you. You HAVE to eat LOW FAT DAIRY to loose weight.

Sorry, it's a scientifically proven fact. Don't even try loosing weight without it.

Look at all those overweight vegans! Look at all those fat paleo/primal lifestyle peeps! They are all so unhealthy, look at them, they need dairy... the poor things.

Anyway *ahem*

1. Meal placement does not affect weight loss. Eating a calorie deficit does. Spacing your meals evenly can help some people cope with a calorie deficit and curb hunger. There are, however, people who find that intermittent fasting works very well for them.

2. Your brain estimates hunger and fullness by volume, and you will have a perception of being fuller if you eat the same amount of food on a plate with no extra space. This is just a trick to help you eat a calorie deficit. There are a lot of people, myself included, who have lost weight without purchasing new dinner plates, though. It's hardly necessary, especially if you count your calories.

3. This is another helpful aid for eating a calorie deficit, and probably the most useful because it is exact. I would also include keeping a food journal.

4. Hormonal factors for metabolism can be extreme in some people, like people who have long histories of disordered eating or those with hypothyroidism. It can be very difficult for people in these circumstances to get enough macros/micros on a diet that would put them in a calorie deficit because their BMR's are so low. For most people, it's not an issue, but if you have trouble loosing weight it is important to see a doctor. Also, hormonal responses to stress and also to calorie restriction can lower your metabolism and make weight loss more difficult and lead to plateaus and stalls. Why discount these things out of hand?

5 & 6. Tricks to deal with a calorie deficit and curb hunger. I'd also add raw and steamed vegetables.

7. AHHAHAHHAHAHA What was this sponsored by the dairy industry? Seriously, were there lots of Got Milk? commercials?

8, 9 & 10. Exercise ("afterburn" effect included) and activity are not necessary for weight loss, eating a calorie deficit is. Exercise can help you create a calorie deficit but it is not necessary.

Here, I'll translate:

1. Eat a calorie deficit.
    2. Eat a calorie deficit.
    3. Eat a calorie deficit.
    4. Ignore people with metabolic issues, pretend plateaus and stalls never happen.
    5. Eat a calorie deficit.
    6. Eat a calorie deficit.
    7. Support corporate sponsors.
    8. Create a calorie deficit.
    9. Create a calorie deficit.
    10. Create a calorie deficit.

I'll admit it doesn't make for great TV, though.

^^i love you.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Soup ... really? IMO, Soup runs right through you and is usually loaded with sodium ... pretty worthless, no matter what the commercials tell us.

If you actually make the soup, it can be pretty low in sodium.
  • error_number_404
    Options
    no way bro i have to skip meals, especially breakfast lol. i put on weight like crazy if i eat anything for bfast besides coffee or energy drinks xD
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I skip meals and use regular sized plates all the time and I rarely eat soup. Still losing weight great. Currently not exercising either though hope to get back into lifting weights again.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I cant eat dairy due to a severe allergy. so does that mean scientifically i cant lose weight?
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've actually watched 1 or 2 documentaries lately that say low fat dairy is worst for you and you should only have full fat dairy.

Also read that saturated fat is GOOD for you and is essential for a healthy brain. Oh US government, the crap you weave.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Sure, most of these tips aren't hard and fast rules for losing weight. But there's logic behind them that is helpful for the average person.

Take the milk fat suggestion. The fat in dairy is perfectly healthy. However, those who are overweight have likely been eating enough fat as it is, and by switching to a lower fat %, they're easily cutting out calories. Worked for me!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Watched a program the other night about 10 things we need to know to lose weight, scientifically proven. These are the 10 points.

1. DON'T skip meals
    2. Change your plate size from 12" to 10" or even smaller.
    3. Count your calories.
    4. Don't blame your weight on your METABOLISM.
    5. Eat protein, to keep you fuller longer.
    6. Eat soup, more often, keeps you fuller longer.
    7. Eat LOW FAT DAIRY, don't cut out dairy from your diet.
    8. Exersize.
    9. AFTER BURN from exersize plays huge role in weight loss.
    10.Keep moving, even the little bits during the day will add up to loss.

Just wanted to share the insight. It made the point with scientifically proven studies and experiments, so if we can incorporate most or all of these points, I think we'd find those pounds falling away?

1. Skipping meals could be bad, but not necessarily. If you skip a meal and replace it with junk it will probably end badly. But, if you just gradually add calories back in a good way, it's probably not going to hurt. I have finally learned how to do this.

2. No word on bowls?

3. Counting calories works. I was doing portion control before coming here and that was also working, but not nearly as well as counting calories. Portion control might work for someone that has just a little weight to lose and a lot of patience. That is definitely not me.

4. This is good. Yes some people have issues. But, not me. I would have sworn I had a low metabolism. But, I have been counting calories and counting my exercise calories and I have lost precisely the amount of weight MFP predicted.

5. This one is definitely not true. Oatmeal keeps me full as long as protein and/or fat. I think fiber is probably just as effective as protein to keep people full. Also I have a tendency to not hit my protein macro and I still am not going hungry. Yes I know I need to hit that macro for other reasons though. Just saying a lack of protein won't necessarily make someone hungry.

6, Um nope. I love soup I make homemade. One day I made a lot of soup and was trying to just have that and not a higher calorie meal. I was starving. I didn't overeat that day, but I didn't feel full either until I ate something that had substance to it. I really wish this one worked as advertised cuz I love soup.

7. I am a vegan and for people who are lactose intolerant this is a really really bad idea.

8. Of course.

9. So, what you saying three sessions of exercise a day is better than one?

10. Fidgeting can burn up to 500 cals a day, but most fidgeters burn around 300 a day.

So, I would say the bottom line is whatever works. I think logging is the best tool.
  • fitnessbuilding
    Options
    Hello SteelySunshin,
    Excess intake of water is also a one of thing to for weight lose. :)