10 Things You Need to Know to Lose Weight

Options

Replies

• jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You gotta love forums.......everybody gets their chance to scream on their soapbox.
    Another troll with their "You all are wrong, I am the only one who is right" post.

Can we develop a new forum category called "Narrow Minded Advice"?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    Watched a program the other night about 10 things we need to know to lose weight, scientifically proven. These are the 10 points.

1. DON'T skip meals
    False. There is no "set" standard regimen on how many meals one should consume to lose weight.
    4. Don't blame your weight on your METABOLISM.
    False again. Hormones and certain medications DIRECTLY affect metabolism.
    6. Eat soup, more often, keeps you fuller longer.
    Eating clam chowder or cream of mushroom soup more often would make one fatter if calorie is surplus.
    7. Eat LOW FAT DAIRY, don't cut out dairy from your diet.
    Though I don't practice it, dairy isn't required in the diet to lose weight.
    Just wanted to share the insight. It made the point with scientifically proven studies and experiments, so if we can incorporate most or all of these points, I think we'd find those pounds falling away?
    While most these seem like good ideas, to state that they are "scientific" and proven should be backed by links of the studies so they can be scrutinized and researched.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    My top ten things (scientifically proven, by me :laugh:)

Seriously though do what works for you. I have never done "low fat" anything, I drink whole milk (yes you heard me WHOLE) which compared to "real cows milk" is just watered down processed crap. I work out and though I don't have to work out to lose weight my *kitten* certainly looks better. Loose skin and a soft body just don't do it for me. I eat a lot of lean meats, and a lot of red meat. I also eat a lot of veggies, well... I just eat a lot of everything.

I don't consider sitting on the couch working my thumbs working out either. I lose about 5lbs a month, but inches. 11 weeks after my daughter is born and I am almost at a 6 pack

But this is me. This works for me. Me. :) have fun with what works for YOU.

Thank you for this. I believe your science more, because it was proven.
    I also believe your since, because I see no reason to believe you are doing anything wrong, fan-tabulous job. I drink skim 'cause I hated the hell out of milk my 'whole' life except the past few years...when I have discovered an amazing drink called the chai latte :tongue:

Chai. Latte. Magic words...:flowerforyou:
  • sammiehof
    sammiehof Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love this and so very true!
    :smile:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,642 Member
    Options
    People who eat dairy have fattier stools. The calcium bonds with fat causing more to be excreted, apparently.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Thats too many rules and confusing. I have only 1 rule

Eat a little less than what you burn daily but not too much.

Its been working rather well for me I think
  • taunto
    Options

1. DON'T skip meals
    Why not? I often times skip breakfast or lunch. I often eat more than half my calories at dinner. Nowhere in any PEER-REVIEWED studies has it proven that skipping meals hurt weight loss.
    2. Change your plate size from 12" to 10" or even smaller.
    Unless you plan to eat the frigging plate and count the calories from it... this doesn't do jack.
    3. Count your calories.
    Why we're here. Very proven thing. Kudos for making first point that makes sense
    This statement confuses me. Don't call people who're from Italy, Italians. Its nothing to blame, its just is. Your metabolism has an impact on how much you can eat and burn in a day.
    5. Eat protein, to keep you fuller longer.
    Another nice point. Kudos. But you don't HAVE to eat protein. I eat fairly high amount of carbs and fat. Again, its been working for me.
    Soup is yummy and tasty. Does it make you FEEL fuller? I guess to some. But not many (including me)
    Why? I mean I drink low fat milk because this way I get to have another glass of milk but nothing wrong with full fat. And have you had low-fat cheese? its frigging disgusting!
    8. Exersize.
    Good point.
    9. AFTER BURN from exersize plays huge role in weight loss.
    No it doesn't. Eating less than your TDEE plays a huge role in weight loss
    10.Keep moving, even the little bits during the day will add up to loss.
    it'll add up to create a bigger deficit from your TDEE which means you can eat more or have a bigger deficit which means weight loss. Its a good tip nonetheless
    Just wanted to share the insight. It made the point with scientifically proven studies and experiments, so if we can incorporate most or all of these points, I think we'd find those pounds falling away?

Finding anything on the internet regarding weight loss isn't pure gold. Its not worth sharing. These aren't scientifically proven points. Most of it is bro-science and some are common sense.

Your intentions are god and thats good but... many people here have struggled in getting away from such nonsense. We have to learn to rely on GOOD PEER-REVIEWED research.

If I were to do everything available on the internet for weight loss i'd be living on water and air since apparently carbs are bad, fat is bad and protein is bad (many still say no to meat, even lean meats)
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    the-difference-between-science-and-screwing-around.jpeg

So true! I conduct research for a living, and most days consist of me screwing around and taking pictures and notes of what makes the biggest mess lol!

Hey that sounds like fun! I could do that!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

the-difference-between-science-and-screwing-around.jpeg

I'm stealing it
  • cherylnadine
    Options
    Why can't we all get along... I thought this site was about helping each other... not who is right and who is wrong.. we all have our little things that have helped us along our weight loss journey.... the whole point of this site is to share what we know.. nobody is obligated to follow every post
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Watched a program the other night about 10 things we need to know to lose weight, scientifically proven. These are the 10 points.

1. DON'T skip meals
    3. Count your calories.
    8. Exersize.

There was a Horizon programme very similar to this shown in the UK a year or two ago, one of the Michael Mosley (5:2 diet) ones and it might even be the same one that has been repeated. I think it's a stretch to say that people NEED to know these things to lose weight and even that they are "scientifically proven". I remember on the programme I saw, the soup thing, for instance, involved giving a group of people an ordinary meal and giving the other group of people the same meal liquidised with water. Now, who would seriously want to liquidise their meals?

The dairy thing, as I remember, wasn't completely clear as they seemed to be showing some effect from dairy but why only low fat dairy?

It was an interesting programme, and I'm sure some of the points are very valid (people sometimes think they're eating less calories than they are, people who fidget and move all the time tend to be slimmer, etc.). However the guy who presented the programme changed over to the 5:2 diet (for another programme - Eat, Fast, Live Longer) and wrote a diet book about it, so presumably those recommendations didn't work for him in the long term. So much for never missing a meal! :laugh:
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Screw that. Full fat dairy or nothing, tyvm.
  • taunto
    Options
    Why can't we all get along... I thought this site was about helping each other... not who is right and who is wrong.. we all have our little things that have helped us along our weight loss journey.... the whole point of this site is to share what we know.. nobody is obligated to follow every post

While I agree that the main purpose of this site is to help each other in fitness, isn't it helping each other when we tell them when they post something that is pure BS? Sure some of the points in the OP were correct and some were based on preference but thing like "don't skip meals" can actually be a source of stress or even derail a person from eating under a deficit since they just say "screw it, i'll do it when I have more time for my health".

We ARE sharing what we know via peer-reviewed research and using it to shun the broscience that has clogged our minds and the internet.
  • akritii
    akritii Posts: 1 Member
    Options

1. DON'T skip meals
    3. Count your calories.
    8. Exersize.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Discussing what information is right and which is wrong IS how we help each other. I'm very glad there were people here who would tell me that it doesn't matter what time you eat and that you don't have to do low-carb for example. I likely would not have made it this far if I had believed that I had to follow a bunch of arbitrary rules.

OP, if you're going to say "scientifically proven" then you really need to link to the studies. Documentaries aren't a reliable source since a lot of them (especially the food ones) are slanted toward one point of view.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I agree. Great tips!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    As a chemist, I heartily endorse the Mythbusters quote and LOL @ lift_hard_eat because it's true. :D

@Cherylnadine- I'll admit that my post was sarcastic (because I'm mad about the dairy thing), but it was intended to be helpful. Helpful for people who are allergic to dairy (or just "allergic" to the violence) and people who just don't like low fat dairy, for people who can't afford new plates, for people who are sedentary and can't exercise, for people who are nauseated at the mere thought of breakfast, people with metabolic problems, people who don't like soup, people who can't count calories. They can all loose weight too if they want to.

I'm not saying that these tips wouldn't be helpful for some people, they probably would. However, it needs to be framed as such. I don't think it's very helpful to say these are "scientifically proven things you NEED to know to loose weight."
    It's completely untrue. The only thing you need to know is that you have to eat less calories than you use.

@Volume77- <3<3
    ?

?_?
  • Amy106Days
    Amy106Days Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing OP. I liked all these tips. I enjoy dairy, soup and have access to plates of varying diameter.

Repeat after me "I want to lose weight so my clothes will be loose"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    Informing people of CORRECT information is helping. Being the fitness industry myself for several years, should I just agree with peers who naively listen to the myths that are passed along without actual scientific back up just to pacify them? That would be getting along.
    It's not being rude to inform someone if they are incorrect and give them research to back it up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options

1. DON'T skip meals
    3. Count your calories.
    8. Exersize.

I disagree with a few of these, based on my own experience/opinions as well as scientific evidence that exists to prove the exact opposite of these claims. I do agree that #2, #3, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10 can be useful tools for helping some people lose weight, but I do not believe they are essential. #5 is true, as protein can help you feel satiated longer. I don't think #1 is true, it really doesn't matter when you eat your calories, but not skipping meals could help some people with appetite/hunger.

This list is more of a "tips for weight loss" with an overarching theme of "eat at a caloric deficit." Definitely not a must-do list but it does have merit.