couch 2 5k, weight lifting and insanity?

Options
I know I'm crazy. I do Insanity every other day, and I started couch to 5 k on opposite days. I'm only in week 1 of Couch 2 5k and I know compared to insanity I'm not nearly getting as good of a workout as I do on my insanity days. I also want to start lifting weights and thought maybe if I did it on the days I do the couch 2 5k that wouldn't be too much....it'd be like an hour of exercise total.

Anyone else do multiple exercise programs?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i am doing insanity, which i know has improved my cardio no end, so i am interested as to whether you need to do couch to 5k right from the start? have you tried going for a run to see how far you get? if you can do insanity i would imagine you could jog for 20 minutes if not more?!
  • AprilBurns86
    Options
    I do Insanity 6x per week, and just added c25k 3x per week. I am starting week 2 of c25k today. It has been going great so far, but I also start month 2 on Insanity today...so I guess we will see how it goes with the intensity a little higher! :) I think alternating days you should be fine. It's basically just cross-training...you're just doing a program instead of generic workouts.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    i am doing insanity, which i know has improved my cardio no end, so i am interested as to whether you need to do couch to 5k right from the start? have you tried going for a run to see how far you get? if you can do insanity i would imagine you could jog for 20 minutes if not more?!

I've done insanity more than once at this point - I do feel like the couch 2 5k is not nearly as intense as I could go but want to follow the program properly. I haven't tried running outside the app I'm using but I do know I'm thankful for the walk part after 1 minute of jogging (I think I'm probably running more than jogging though, I'm averaging 10 mpm).
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    Last year, I did that exact workout!! I did Insanity 6 days a week though... added C25K in 3 times a week, and weights 4 days a week. I would walk about 3 miles on my "rest" day too... just to keep my body moving. I am hoping to do something similar this year - C25K, Combat, and weights.
    BTW - Overall, I lost about 15 pounds, and went down 2 sizes in clothes! The clothing sizes are more important to me than the weight loss... inches show more. :laugh:
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I do C25K and P90X. I just do the three strength/ab training programs of P90X each week and substitute running instead of Plyo & Yoga.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

I haven't done insanity, but I was doing lots of cardio, some fairly intense bootcamp stuff, I'd done JM Shred it with Weights, etc., and running still kicked my butt in the beginning. It's just a totally different way to use your body, at least for me.

I'm currently training for a 5K, then a 10K, and lifting heavy 3 days a week. I'm adding in blogilates, and I'm also worried about it being too mcuh, but I'm giving it a shot. I may not do any extra blogilates leg workouts, just to keep my legs fresh. Listen to your body. Definitely make sure you're eating enough, especially protein to help your muscles recover. If you start to feel tired or worn out, dial it back.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have been training for a 1/2 marathon and haven't had enough time to do my Insanity/Asylum dvd;s....last year, I would do 2 total body workouts which included weights and cardio (Bob Harper's interval/circuit dvd's are amazing!) and the rest of the days, either do an insanity or asylum or a spinning class. I loved the results I had! I also was very strict with my diet...I have been very sloppy with my food and even though I have been training for a 1/2 and have been doing a lot of running, I have gained weight! LOL!! UGH!! I will get it back under control though.....I think mixing Insanity with weights is great.....I don't think you need to do the couch to 5k too if you are doing Insanity.