Why is eating healthy so darn expensive?

Options

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Maybe it seems more expensive because you started eating meat instead of white flour. Meat costs more than wheat. Eating healthily, eating comparable foods, is only more expensive if you aren't cooking.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Beans and rice are cheaper when you buy them in bulk. We also buy a lot of our meat in bulk to save some extra money there. If something isn't available fresh seasonally, then we tend to buy frozen since it has the best taste and is usually cheaper. We don't buy any 'diet' foods generally.
  • momma2jillian07
    momma2jillian07 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is, some times it isn't. We purchase all of our meats from a local butcher and its much better for you (all grass fed) and its significantly cheaper. Not to mention I'm all for KEEPING IT LOCAL!

Have you thought about a garden? I know thats seasonal for fresh but we grow tomatoes, corn, green beans, bell peppers, jalapeño peppers, zucchini, squash and even raspberries, blueberries & strawberries. Sounds like a lot but its really easy just plant, water and watch it all grow. Then when it starts to roll in you freeze, can or make salsa/spaghetti sauce/stewed tomatoes and so on. Last year we harvested 90 ears of corn, I blanch them and freeze and we enjoy fresh corn on the cob all year long.

How about meal planning? Plan your weekly meals according to sales that offered in your stores. Sure you can coupon, and I use to be BIG time into it. However I won't waste my time with it now, maybe for paper products or diapers but the foods that coupons are offered for are HIGHLY processed and J U N K!!!

One last thing, remember a bundle of bananas is half of the price of a bag of chips. Typically a package of chicken or some filets of fish from the deli are cheaper than frozen entrees. Be mindful of what your putting into your body. "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"

GOOD LUCK!! :)
  • essaryswife73
    essaryswife73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    We have an Aldi discount grocery store and I buy almost all of my fresh fruits and veggies there. Plus whatever snack the kids have for the week. I buy most of my meat at Sam's Club and very little at a regular grocery store. I've cut about $150/month off my grocery bill. Oh, and the produce at Aldi is amazingly good.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    For veggies I'd see if there's a farmers market type setup nearby you since Spring is here. Generally it seems like I spend half as much on fresh veggies there compared to from the grocery store. Plus, most have a section for veggies that are almost ready to go bad that's even cheaper. Buy those up and freeze them yourself. During the winter months I go with frozen veggies from the grocery store, particularly Birds Eye brand which seem to be slightly better in my opinion.

As far as fish is concern, Wal-mart has super cheap frozen fish. WAY cheaper than buying fresh. My personal favorite is Swai. Big planks with low calories!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I don't find it much more if more at all.

I find healthy foods (fresh fruits, vegetables, etc) are much more filling and therefore need less food.

I make my meals based on what is on sale for the week at my local stores. My main grocery store price matches other stores sales so Ialways go through flyers and make a list than get everything at one store. I own't buy a bunch of broccoli for example if it's expensive (right now they are aroun $3). I won't buy apples if they are $6 a bag. I buy based on what is on sale and plan meals around that.

I also buy dried beans instead of canned. I make my own soup instead of buying canned soup. When something we use a lot of is on a really good sale we buy a lot of it. We also go to the store shortly before closing since our store marks down the meats at that time. Still perfectly fine meat but half the price if not cheaper.

Farmers markets are super cheap for produce. Go about an hour or two before they close. Might not have as much selection but they greatly reduce their prices so they don't have to bring everything back with them. Also, shop around. Don't always go to one grocery store. Some are cheaper than others.
  • abrodniak
    abrodniak Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I rarely use coupons anymore since they don't make many for healthy products. I have found that if I go grocery shopping early in the morning I have a better chance of finding meats on sale. Also, I buy the bigger pkgs since they are cheaper by the lb and I break them up into smaller amts when I get home and freeze them. Try to competitor shop. It takes more time, but Walmart is not the only place that does it now. Shop places like Aldi and Save-A-Lot. Not all of their products are great, but a good bit of them are. Don't get discouraged. There are ways to get around the high prices, but you have to take the time to do so.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I use to think it was so much more expensive to eat healthy but when I actually broke it down and looked at it I discovered it wasn't that terribly expensive. Especially since I cut out dining out!

It turned out the reason I thought that was because I was going about it all wrong.

I shop organic and natural as much as possible. I don't buy as much meat because honestly we eat too much meat anyway. I buy mainly produce and I do most of my cooking on sunday in order to have stuff to just grab and take for lunch or to make a quick dinner on days I don't want to cook. I usually spend $40 a week and that's with some splurging.

At first my shopping healthy was expensive but with experience I learned what to buy, what not to buy, how to buy, when to buy. Stuff like that.

This whole weightloss thing is a learning process. Give it time and you will figure out what works best for you. :)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    20110925_bittman_marshgph-popup211.jpg
  • angelatoof
    angelatoof Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is where my thoughts are now. Im paying about $300 for my diabetes and high blood pressure meds a month. There is no way we would spend that plus what we already pay for groceries. Buy the healthy food!
  • pwicke
    pwicke Posts: 29
    Options
    It is expensive/ Add in food allergies and its a paycheck! I spend over almost 1K at the market every month. Its the only way really!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    One thing I have not seen mentioned, it sometimes depends on where you live. I have lived in several states, and I was suprised at the differences in the costs of groceries. One state was 5 dollars a gallon for milk, while another was only 2.75. You may live in a costly area.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Its not expensive. Proper portions and learning how to shop differently and buy the right things instead of the wrong things. stop buying name brands look for the sales pay attention to what you are buying. Plan meals out before you shop. Oh...and dont even bother trying to shop healthy for yourself and Not healthy for everyone else. Its a whole house solution.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    While there may not be manufacturers coupons for fresh food and meat (though I have seen it happen, they are far and few between), the grocery stores do put them on sale regularly, at least around here they do.... but then I live in a food rich environmnet where there are at least 3 grocery stores within a 1 mile radius of anywhere. Major chains, ethnic, and off the path. I shop mostly either at Super Target or our local Safeway, both of which give decent coupons (and personalized sale deals) on food products I buy the most of.

For a family of 3 (which I really cook for more, because I eat left overs or freeze meals when I can), I spend around $100 a week. I plan by whats on sale, what staples I have, and make sure I have a comprehensive list.

I have done the whole "we are broke, so let's eat overly processed foods until we are better"... and I seem to buy less for more when I do that.
  • sociologywoman
    sociologywoman Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There are certainly some added expense to eating healthy, but you should also be counting food costs to see what you're spending per meal. I have made tweaks to my budget and cut costs in eating out or other entertainment activities to afford the change in food costs. Understand that there is also an increase in food expenses SIMPLY because of the economy and gas prices etc.

Certainly things like Doritos on sale for $2.50 seems like a good deal, but for $3.00-4.00 you can buy apples for near the same price!! I can buy a bag of carrots for $2.50 per bag...and when veggies are on sale such as peppers etc, I'll cut them up and freeze them in bags to use in dishes later. So the reality is there are not "Dollars" worth of differences... where you start to see huge differences is in the Organic section, and processed organic foods. IF a food is processed I still attempt to avoid it period. processed is processed is processed... and sometimes, being organic doesn't necessarily make it the best.

With that said, there are things you can do, coupons and if you can't find any contact the Manufacturer!! I do, and I receive coupons religiously when I contact them and ask for them.

Since I have eliminated things like dairy, gluten, and a few other things in my diet, I no longer buy those items and therefore am saving money on those items regardless. If you can look for bulk stores, places that sell items in bulk that will help to defer the costs.

When purchasing meats, definitely wait on the deals if you can or look for items marked down. During college I worked for a deli and you'd be surprised at the misconception American's have about meats. If a meat is browning...it does NOT make it bad. Some fine restaurants age their meats for WEEKS!!! Then serve it. Browning of red meats is simply due to exposure to sun and air. Now with items such as chicken and pork certainly more concern has to be taken because of the illness that can come from bad meats. However, expiration dates were set by the federal government for removal from a shelf...it does not determine that the product has actually expired. Such things as eggs, actually when fridgerated can last a couple weeks past their expiration date. USE your nose and well common sense.

Additionally, buying frozen veggies can prove to be cheaper than fresh and if you can't afford fresh -- frozen is the next best thing...avoid things canned at all costs...they are NOT healthy!

Since I opt to try to really eat healthy I do look for things organic but only if they fall on the DIRTY DOZEN list.. (google it), it's a list of fruits and veggies that are receive the most heavy use of pesticides. I don't buy everything organic...but certainly these items.

Again, its about good planning, and keeping an eye on deals as they come along!
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I buy the meat on clearance and cook it in a healthful way. Roasts, fish, pork loin, whatever is on sale. We need healthy protein.

Veggies last all week and are much cheaper for crunch factor than chips, that's for sure!

I find salads about to expire, that helps.

Yogurt is often cost effective protein.

Other things, I weight the cost of a gym membership, which I don't have...and eating in versus out, which saves. And frozen veggie coupons are really helpful! Learning to understand my grocer's sales makes a big difference. For instance, you don't get the lowest sale price listed at Kroger unless you buy 10 participating items...use your coupons that week and buy items in 10. It does take a lot of attention and effort, but it helps!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Ha.. switch to organic.. then lets talk...

But here is your answer in a nut shell..

Because healthy foods can spoil- means less income/less profit-
    Because people will pay more for healhty foods- if totinos pizza is more then $1.00 do you buy them?? (I woudln't when I used to buy them!) But you sure will pay 1.69 a pound for tomatoes!
    Because processed foods are addicting and not filling, which means you will purcahse more of them. (added sugar and salt is *really* what people like in those foods)

Wanna know why organic so expensive?

no hormones = less milk/eggs produced and less meat on the animals
    no GMO = more spolied crops in the feilds
    + all of the above

Every have steak in Amish country? Totally different and so very good!

of course you will eat less of the raw whole healthy organic foods, once you teach yourself how to eat properly, so it should settle down a bit. Plus there are less expensive ways to get these foods. I joined a co-op and shop at farms themsevles.
  • Beautifulsoull
    Options
    I'm reading people saying they've never seen coupons for unprocessed foods. I have a kroger in my state and I always get coupons from them for frozen bags of chicken, frozen vegetables, fruits & vegetables. I get all kinds of coupons. I do get lucky to get non kroger coupons for unprocessed foods that I use at walmart. Its all about looking around for those coupons.
  • KarimeKH
    KarimeKH Posts: 2
    Options
    hang in there! over time you'll learn when to buy ie certain stores do their fish specials on certain days. And don't forget to look at a bag of spinach for example and then divide how many servings will be in it and then you'll get an actual price per serving and you'll be happy with the results. When I buy salmon I do it and think hey that cost me a couple of quid for me and my daughter if I make a brown rice pasta with salmon in it. and don't forget those damn crap carbs got you to a place that didn't make you happy!
    good luck- we are in this together.
    Karime
  • JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Does your local grocery store have online coupons? Mine does and they often have a few for meat and fresh vegetables or fruit. I also plan my menu around what is on sale. So if chicken is on sale I'll plan a few chicken items. I've been able to cut our grocery bill down by an average of $50 a month by doing this.