146 lbs to lose!

Options
Good morning everyone,
This is my first time on here. I have the daunting task of losing 146 lbs in front of me. I am excited and scared at the same time. I truly feel like a prisoner in my own body and don't want to feel this way anymore. I need all the encouragement and support possible and appreciate all the help.

Thanks so much,
Amira

Replies

• SassyMom23
    SassyMom23 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! I don't have as much as you to lose, but I too feel the same way. Sending you a friend request, and we can encourage and support each other!! :smile:
  • vjdancer
    vjdancer Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Amira -

I guess we are on the same wavelength today because I just signed up, have over 100lbs to lose and I'm feeling the same way! You described it so exact - being a prisoner in my own body! So many things I want to do, play golf (well, try to anyway) go to the movies, roller skate, ride my bike - the list goes on, but I always find an excuse not to because I know it won't be as enjoyable as I imagine because I'm out of breath and tired so easily.

But I guess we've both made a good first step - we signed up here. I even logged my breakfast shake meal so far...I hope we can enourage and find encouragement!
  • mombieocalypse
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I have over 100lbs to lose myself. I have set a realistic goal of getting it off by December 31st 2014. I plan on changing my life little by little and know it will take a long time. We can do this.
  • Lind140
    Lind140 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi Amira!
    Welcome to MFP, I'm glad you chose this site to help you, there are a lot of really
    nice and supportive people here, and many going through and facing what you are.
    I will never forget feeling the same way when I looked down the road and saw a need
    to lose 200 pounds, it's overwhelming! But log your food carefully, try to increase your
    activity a little at a time and you will see a difference. Best of luck to you!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    If you start today...in one year you'll be amazed. I know, a year sounds like forever right now. But time passes anyway so at that time you'll be so glad you made this decision to work on your health and amazed at the difference in how you look and feel. Good luck to you, embrace both the good and the tough things about weight loss, because we're all worth it.
  • belleparis
    belleparis Posts: 111
    Options
    Welcome!
    Take is one day at a time. It takes patience and hard work but you can do it. MFP is an awesome site. :)
  • Georgianbaygirl67
    Georgianbaygirl67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi Amira,
    I have started again today. I have tried before, but without support. I am asking for some friends too. I too have a lot of weight to lose.
  • emeraldj18
    Options
    Good Morning,
    Glad to meet you here.I have a way to go myself with my weight.I have been here for 36 days and have lost weight and have had much support from the people on this site.My advice is to take it one day at a time and do not get discouraged and don't be a slave to the scales! Tracking you food and what you eat is very useful and has been very successful for me! I didn't realize how much I was eating until I started tracking my intake.Good Luck to you and feel free to accept my friend request as it does help when we have friends who are going throrugh the same ordeals.
    Have a Great Day!
    Jeanine
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    To Amira and all the new people on MFP! Welcome!!! This is a great place to help you in your weight loss goals. As you know, there are no miracle drugs or magic pills and you have to put in a lot of work to lose this weight. But, if you do the work, the results will start to show!

I would start by looking at this weight loss in smaller goals. It would seem very daunting to see the total amount. Maybe set your goals in 20 lb increments and take progress pictures along the way.

If you have not already done so, buy a food scale and begin weighing and measuring everything! That is the only way to truly know how much you are eating. Also, if you have not already done so, start exercising. Every little bit helps your body.

Also, don't try to drastically reduce your calories. MFP will set calories for you based on information you provide, but sometimes this is not realistic. Find out how many calories your body actually needs and then eat a deficit of these calories. I like to use the calorie deficit calculator at http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/caloriedeficitcalculator.php. It takes into account your height, current weight, age and your activity level. If you had been eating a ton of calories (and lets face it, if we are overweight or obese, we all were eating WAY too many calories) and then try to drop to 1200 calories, your body will not be happy. Remember that food is fuel and your body needs fuel to function. If you are always hungry, then you may not be eating enough and may start to "snitch" and sabotage your efforts.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I have been doing this since 1/3/13 and have dropped nearly 25 lbs. I don't have all the answers...just a fattie trying to lose weight and get healthy and fit.

Nancy
  • kellyjt1965
    Options
    I started again this past week. I have 215 lbs to lose to reach my "ultimate" goal. I'm taking it one day at a time, MFP is a great way to keep track of everything you need to track. Good luck and as I said, one day at a time, I have a habit of biting off more than I can chew so to speak so am taking this one day at a time. It will be worth being healthier and having more energy in the long run!!
  • mikester66
    mikester66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP . I have a 100 or so bls to lose and try to log on every day. Feel free to add me:)
  • amiraf
    amiraf Posts: 2
    Options
    thanks so much!
  • projectthin1
    Options
    hey,

I know how you feel! I have over 100 pounds to lose :( I am determined to do it this time and will be using this site regularly as I certainly need all the motivation I can get.
    Don't worry, you will be able to do it. It's all about willpower and making the right choices. It will be a long journey but definitely worth it in the end.
    This is also my first time logging on properly in a while as I have given up countless amount of times but I am much more determined to do it this time! x
  • melliejsmith
    Options
    Hi

I have been doing this for just under a week now and have 43 lbs to loose, which is really daunting to be honest.

I have broken my weight loss goals down into small chunks, like 5% of what I need to lose, 10% and so on. Hopefully this will make things easier!!

Good luck everyone and good luck to me too as I think I will need it!

Mel
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    As you can see, you are not alone! I second (third?) those who say take it one day at a time, and set smaller goals for youself. The final goal weight loss is daunting, but set up smaller milestone goals and reward yourself at each one. One more pound, for example, and I get a new pair of shoes!

Feel free to add me, we can all use the support.
  • remaines
    remaines Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It most definitely can be done! I'll send you a friend request.
  • aprilhopps
    Options
    Hi. I too have 100+ lbs to lose. I sent u a friend request. I am on here everyday! I lost 50 lbs with weight watchers after my 2 yr old was born & gained a lot of it back. MFP seems to be helping me a lot more. Good luck! Just take it one day at a time! You can do it!