Pls share- Vegetarian Crockpot recipes

Options
itsHealthy
itsHealthy Posts: 119 Member
I bought a new crockpot.
Was very excited untilI overcooked Quinao and broccoli.
I am looking online for good veg recipes but not too many out there :(

Please share your recipes!!

Replies

• itsHealthy
    Options
    bump
  • lrichelle
    lrichelle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Check out vegweb.com, they have great crockpot recipes! I have found some really good crockpot chili recipes from that site.
  • itsHealthy
    Options
    Check out vegweb.com, they have great crockpot recipes! I have found some really good crockpot chili recipes from that site.

Thank you!
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    bump bump bump bump bump! :) I need more veggie crock pot ideas!
  • groversa
    Options
    btw, this is my fav vegetarian chili :) I make it every other week, its so good!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-veggie-chili/detail.aspx
  • groversa
    Options
    http://luluthebaker.blogspot.com/2011/09/cheesy-vegetable-chowder.html

And I have been wanting to make this, looks yummy :) (Replacing chicken broth with veggie broth)
  • Stasiasaurus
    Stasiasaurus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    http://www.simplebites.net/rustic-chickpea-stew-with-apricots-turnip-slow-cooker-recipe/

^Chickpea Stew w/ Apricots & Turnips. When I made this I did it on the stovetop because I was in a bit of a hurry, but the recipe is written for the crockpot and it was very tasty over some quinoa. And second the chili idea, yum. I don't have a recipe for that because I usually just eyeball it, but adding a spoonful of unsweetened cocoa powder along with the chili powder/other spices really adds a little something something.
  • natashalh1998
    natashalh1998 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump, I could always use some vegi ideas. I love to use my crockpot!
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Coming up on summer, so I'll be making fake chorizo and peppers in my crock pot... I adapt this recipe from http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/pork-crock-pot-recipes/portuguese-chorizo-peppers.htm

2 pounds chorizo sausage, casings removed and crumbled (I use 'Soyrizo' from Stop and Shop)
    2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
    2 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
    1 6 ounce can tomato paste
    1 cup red wine (I always use local port wine, goes over very well with my friends)
    1 cup water
    2 tablespoons crushed garlic

In a slow cooker, combine the sausage, green pepper, onion, tomato paste, wine, water and crushed garlic.

Stir so that everything is evenly distributed. Cover and set on low.

Cook for 8 hours. Uncover the pot and cook an additional 2 hours to allow some of the liquid to evaporate.

Serve over rice or with Portuguese bread. You can also get some torpedo type rolls, it makes for excellent sandwiches once the liquid cooks off.

Makes 8 servings.

As a plus, if you make it overnight your place smells excellent when you wake up.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I love yam curry... could probably be a crockput dish
    it's seasoned with clove, a cinnamon stick, bay leaf, a bit of turmeric, cumin,
    then in it goes yams, coconut milk, and whatever veggies you want - kale, pumpkin, celery, eggplant... pretty freeform
    when it's ready I throw in some white beans from a can (drained and rinsed - or rehydrated and cooked) and finish with fresh corriander
  • ladyillusionist
    ladyillusionist Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Here is a VERY simple soup recipe that my family loves. It does involve a lot of canned items so you may not like the sodium factor, but with that said, I am always well under my sodium ratio each day so I don't usually work about it.

I just made this up so you may have to adjust it to your crock pot size, this is for a 4 qt.

Add 1 package of frozen vegetables (I use Birdseye Fresh Steam variety) or you can use fresh if readily available
    1 can of tomato soup
    1 can of beef (or vegetable) broth
    1 can of Hunts diced Italian herb tomatoes w/fluid
    1 can drained kidney beans
    Fill the remainder of the crock pot up with water.

Cook on high for 4 hours or cook or low for 6-8. The last 15 minutes of cook time add (1) cup of elbow pasta.

Optional: You can add 1 fresh zucchini and it is a really yummy addition! Just be sure to that if you are doing the fast 4 hour mode that you pre-cook the zucchini a little bit otherwise it might not be done all the way. If you let it cook for 8 hours it will be fine.

My family loves this homemade soup. I made it last night and the leftovers will be my lunch this week. Approximately 320 calories for this hearty soup.

Side note: I am not a vegetarian so I hope this recipe meets your dietary requirements. :)
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Spicy Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew with Chipoltes

This is a recipe from the 2/26/2013 New York Times "Recipes for Health" section. While it is written for stove top cooking, it could easily be made in a crock pot. It is very tasty with sweet and spicy elements along with high fiber. The NYT intro: "The sweetness of the sweet potatoes infuses this Mexican-inspired lentil dish along with the heat of the chipotles, which also have a certain sweetness as well because of the adobo sauce they are packed in. The combination, with the savory lentils, is a winner."

Olive oil - 1 tbsp
    Onion - 1 Medium diced
    Garlic - 2 Cloves finely diced
    Salt - to taste
    Cumin seeds - 2 tsp
    Carrots - 2 Medium
    Brown or Green Lentils - 1.5 cups
    Water - 6 Cups
    Sweet potatoes - 2 Medium peeled and diced
    Chipoltes - 1 to 2 seeded and chopped to taste
    Tomato Paste - 2 tbsp
    Bay leaf - 1
    Fresh Cilantro or Parsley - 1/4 Cup
    Lime Wedges for Serving

Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy soup pot or Dutch oven and add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until it softens, about 5 minutes, and add the garlic and a generous pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until the garlic smells fragrant, about 30 seconds, and add the ground cumin seeds and carrots. Stir together for a minute, then add the lentils, water, peeled and diced sweet potatoes, chipotles, tomato paste, salt to taste and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer 40 to 45 minutes, until the lentils and sweet potatoes are tender and the broth fragrant. Taste and adjust seasoning. Stir in the cilantro or parsley, simmer for another minute, and serve, passing lime wedges so diners can season their lentils with a squeeze of lime juice if desired.

For a crockpot, I would double all the ingredients and combine them in the crock pot and cook on low for four hours. Then taste. I would guess that six hours would be plenty and it could probably go for as long as eight hours, but might get a bit liquified. BTW, soak dry lentils in fresh water for several hours before adding.
  • SarahL522
    SarahL522 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Everything sounds amazing! THANK YOU!
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump
  • itsHealthy
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Timpicks - that sounds amazing! Can't wait to give it a try for dinner tomorrow :) Thanks!
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    This was posted last week in another crock pot thread by another member and I made it over the weekend. Very yummy! :)

This one is easy and I've served it to others several times and everyone really likes it

Lentil Soup (serves 8)
    Throw all of this stuff in the crock pot in the morning. Turn it on low for 8+ hours (sometimes I do more than 8 hours and it’s always been fine)
    3 Raw Carrots Chopped
    3 Stalks of Celery - Chopped
    1 Onion - Chopped
    2 Cloves of Garlic - Diced
    2 C lentils (rinsed) (I've used whatever the cheapest bulk lentils I could find at Sprouts)
    64oz of Vegetable broth
    1 can of diced tomatoes (I prefer the Rotel with Habanero so that it has some spice, I didn’t think the jalapeno ones had enough spice but I may be crazy) OPTIONAL
    3 Russet potatoes (small or medium) – OPTIONAL (I often add these for bulk)

About 15 minutes before serving add:
    1.5 Tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar
    2 cups Kale (or other green like Spinach or Collard Greens)
    Salt & pepper to taste
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Oops--you don't have to soak the lentils in the recipe I posted above. Just rinse dry lentils, toss them in, cook 'em and you're good to go.