Whole Milk VS. Low Fat/ Non-fat Milk

Options

Replies

• WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    We've been drinking raw, whole milk for several months now. I'd urge anyone, in the U.S. or Europe especially, to check out this study on our countries' general milk supply and give a serious look at what you're drinking.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/07/09/the-devil-in-the-milk.aspx
  • JennKoz529
    JennKoz529 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge milk fan so I use non-fat milk to drink. I hate the thickness of whole milk! But I understand the health value of whole, which is why I give it to my son. And I do cook/bake with whole milk....things just come out better that way!
  • natsmom118
    natsmom118 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Neither. Almond milk (unsweetened or original)
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I was raised on skim milk, and so I am partial to that. Whole milk tastes thick and gross to me.

I can't speak to health benefits from one to the other though. If you like whole milk, I think you should drink it and just make it fit in to your calorie allotment.

I think it is weird that humans are one of the only animals who continue to drink milk past weaning.

we are also the only beings who drink milk from another source, no other animal drinks milk from another mammal other than humans.

I guess neither of you have ever put down a saucer of cow's milk for an adult cat...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I was raised on skim milk, and so I am partial to that. Whole milk tastes thick and gross to me.

I can't speak to health benefits from one to the other though. If you like whole milk, I think you should drink it and just make it fit in to your calorie allotment.

I think it is weird that humans are one of the only animals who continue to drink milk past weaning.

we are also the only beings who drink milk from another source, no other animal drinks milk from another mammal other than humans.

We are also the only species to use the internet, play video games, work at jobs, pay taxes, etc.
  • Millertime_jason
    Millertime_jason Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Since I hate Skim milk, I have switched to unsweetened almond milk.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

I guess neither of you have ever put down a saucer of cow's milk for an adult cat...

Just because you can eat something doesn't mean its healthy. I could eat nothing but chips alp day, wouldn't mean its a wise decision..speaking of cats....you shouldn't give them milk. They can't digest it properly...guess you haven't given a cat a saucer of milk either...
  • sheldonz42
    Options

Just because you can eat something doesn't mean its healthy. I could eat nothing but chips alp day, wouldn't mean its a wise decision..speaking of cats....you shouldn't give them milk. They can't digest it properly...guess you haven't given a cat a saucer of milk either...

Actually, like my mother before me, I have. They loved it and neither I nor they had any issues. My (I thought rather obvious) point was that, inter-species milk drinking happens quite frequently, and not just in the young of said species, without problems.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Whole milk when bulking, skim milk when cutting
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

Same store bought whole milk leaves this gross film in my mouth, like i drank wax or a bucket of bacon fat and it left behind a residue. but whole milk straight from the cow is bestest stuff ever

we drink 2% here if we do store bought, closest i can get to whole with out the residue
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Actually, like my mother before me, I have. They loved it and neither I nor they had any issues. My (I thought rather obvious) point was that, inter-species milk drinking happens quite frequently, and not just in the young of said species, without problems.

Then that's pretty messed up on your part and your mom's part because lactose among cats is the norm. Most cats will *kitten* all over the place after drinking milk. You may not have noticed since you probably just gave them the milk and wandered off. Such as how the majority of humans have some lactose intolerance symptoms which vary person to person, and ethnicity. Some people drink it just fine, others get some gas, nothing major, and others have to lie down debilitated from cramping.
  • sheldonz42
    Options

Then that's pretty messed up on your part and your mom's part because lactose among cats is the norm. Most cats will *kitten* all over the place after drinking milk. You may not have noticed since you probably just gave them the milk and wandered off. Such as how the majority of humans have some lactose intolerance symptoms which vary person to person, and ethnicity. Some people drink it just fine, others get some gas, nothing major, and others have to lie down debilitated from cramping.

Thou doest assume and protest too much. Again, I have given cats milk (or worse ice cream) as an occasional treat WITHOUT PROBLEMS. And I am the one who cleans the litter box. But I am clearly the one who is crazy and an a-hole... Oh, and you contradicted yourself.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I use fat free milk

I get my fats from other sources cause I want to eat a variety of food. there is nothing wrong with either choice as long as you get your macronutrients filled

This is what I usually do. I drink copious amounts of lattes so whole milk just uses up to many calories because of the fats in it that I would rather get from other sources. I have been drinking skim for so long I am used to it so it tastes fine to me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    We've been drinking raw, whole milk for several months now. I'd urge anyone, in the U.S. or Europe especially, to check out this study on our countries' general milk supply and give a serious look at what you're drinking.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/07/09/the-devil-in-the-milk.aspx

Merclola is not a reputable source.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Oh rly?

Birddrinkingmilk_zps271330a5.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I love whole milk, but I've pretty much had to cut it out. In an effort to support my wife who can't have any dairy right now, I've cut it way back and noticed that a lot of my sinus issues and congestion disappeared when I stopped eating so much dairy (used to be a dairy freak). I think now, dairy will forever be a pretty minimal part of my diet.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Oh rly?

Birddrinkingmilk_zps271330a5.jpg
    orly indeed
    115629-tiger-and-piglets.jpg
    Dog-lion-cubs_1445308i.jpg
    cow-goat_1409889i.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Same store bought whole milk leaves this gross film in my mouth, like i drank wax or a bucket of bacon fat and it left behind a residue. but whole milk straight from the cow is bestest stuff ever

we drink 2% here if we do store bought, closest i can get to whole with out the residue

mmmm....bacon fat...
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Merclola is not a reputable source.

Source? And interesting that you chose to only look at the site where the article is hosted, and not actually read it. :(
  • swedishwillow
    swedishwillow Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    watch Forks over Knives (or Knives or Forks, I can't remember which one it is)

I did a thesis paper on milk, milk DOES NOT do a body good - you can get the same or even more calcium by drinking Almond Milk.

:-)