Strength Training Ideas

Options
I feel like cardio is pretty easy to to create workouts for, but I always have a hard time creating or finding good strength training workouts. I have a membership to planet fitness so I just wander aimlessly and do 15 reps 3-4 times on a bunch of the different machines. I do stick to just arms one day, and just legs another, with abs mixed in. I also like to do cardio first for about 25-45 minutes and want ideas for a quick 15-30 min strength training workout after at the gym. I have yet to feel "sore" from my strength training and am a novice at the gym equipment. Can someone offer some advice or point me to good resources to get an efficient strength training workout in?

Replies

• gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Look up starting strength and 5x5 workout, its what I started with...
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I've seen New Rules of Lifting for Women recommended a lot on here. Abbreviated NROL4W. A search brings up a lot of posts. I do Starting Strength. It's easy to follow but requires barbells.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    You need to be lifting more weight at a heavier weight, example standing dumbell curls, start off with 10's, 12's 15's 20,lbs heavier than that if your strong, do 6- 8 reps per set, doing 15 of something is a waste of a workout, I do 16-20 sets per bodypart.. I do H.I.I.T for cardio , 30 minutes of running, or I like to do 1hour Spin classes. Trust me if you go heavy , you will feel it the next day, be sure to use proper form..
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Chalean Extreme DVD set.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Chalean Extreme DVD set.

she has a gym membership
    gym trumps workout DVDs every time.

look into stronglifts 5x5 or new rules of lifting for women
  • Lisafrazier71
    Lisafrazier71 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I found a circuit training app for my phone called Gym Pocketguide, it is idiot-proof. And free. It gives specific gym exersizes to do every day, two different programs, one for fat loss and one for muscle building. Even shows a little video clip of how to do the movements properly. I can tell I was not doing enough lower body before because my legs are so sore! In a good way :) It is working. Just be careful with the dead-lifts if you do try it!! they KILLED me at first.
    Good luck!
  • bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    5x5 at Planet Fitness, OP gym, is difficult since limited free weights.
  • lovesweetlove
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will def look into new rules for lifting for women and even the 5x5 (my PF has lots of weights and I go at night when it's not crowded). This whole time I thought more reps at less weight was better, so I'll fix that. Thanks again for the help
  • lovesweetlove
    Options
    Ps I love apps and will check it out!
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It's often better to not follow a "routine" because variety stimulates growth. So what you're doing by wandering around randomly picking machines is actually not a bad idea as long as you're hitting all the muscle groups. The best advice I would have is focus not on what you're doing, but how you're doing it. When you do 15 reps, are you at failure at the end of each set? If you can do 15 reps without reaching failure, up the weight. Also, when I say failure, I mean you literally cannot move the weight another centimeter. Maintain good form, mix up the number of reps per set (6,8,10,12,15,18, even 25), but just make sure you get the most out if each set. You should be whimpering at the end of each set, and you're muscles should feel like jello when you leave the gym. If you're not doing this, you are not stimulating growth. And font worry about getting "bulky". This is a myth. Woman have a very hard time putting on visible muscle mass unless they are intentionally lifting for size Snd eating a calorie surplus.
  • eddie152
    eddie152 Posts: 5
    Options
    I feel like cardio is pretty easy to to create workouts for, but I always have a hard time creating or finding good strength training workouts. I have a membership to planet fitness so I just wander aimlessly and do 15 reps 3-4 times on a bunch of the different machines. I do stick to just arms one day, and just legs another, with abs mixed in. I also like to do cardio first for about 25-45 minutes and want ideas for a quick 15-30 min strength training workout after at the gym. I have yet to feel "sore" from my strength training and am a novice at the gym equipment. Can someone offer some advice or point me to good resources to get an efficient strength training workout in?

Drop the reps and focus on compound exercises will really build up a lot of strength, exercises such as squats, deadlifts and benchpress, allows you to put on heavier weights increasing the strength needed