Say No To The Size Zero Campaign

Options
knittingwitch
knittingwitch Posts: 231 Member
Have you seen this, do you care, What are your thoughts?

Personally I like the shirts and the Strong is the new Skinny shirts, I think its empowering, being proud of your body type.
I was reading this blog http://hellogiggles.com/saying-no-to-the-say-no-to-size-zero-campaign she did make some good points, but I think she wasn't really understanding it. Yes their are people who are doing exactly what she is talking about in the article, how ever I think its bigger than that. People have been lead to believe their not pretty if they have curves or muscles, this is our way of taking back out pride and saying yes I am sexy, I am proud and happy about the way I look.
It is true the say no to size zero really is a campaign lead my a model, but really I think it is a gimmick to get people to buy underwear, but I do think its a powerful statement . It is telling yourself I don't need to be a size zero to be beautiful, my curves are beautiful.
Just my thoughts, what do you think

Replies

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Now, don't get me wrong. I am a HUGE fan of the "strong is the new skinny" idea.
    Having a daughter I really hope this trend continues.

BUT "say no to size zero" isn't really a motto I can get with. A lot of very strong and very fit women happen to be a size zero. So why on earth would you degrade that?
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    BUT "say no to size zero" isn't really a motto I can get with. A lot of very strong and very fit women happen to be a size zero. So why on earth would you degrade that?

Yup.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I like her saying yes to body confidence and yes to health.
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Now, don't get me wrong. I am a HUGE fan of the "strong is the new skinny" idea.

I don't think she's necessarily degrading being a size zero.... but the fact that a lot of women believe that to be beautiful they need to be a size zero, which isn't true. If your body type allows you to be strong and healthy at a size zero, go for it! No one is stopping you :) But for women who have larger frames and whatnot, being a size zero is unrealistic and they need to realize that just because they aren't a size zero doesn't mean they're not strong and beautiful.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

Yup.

<== Agree...size 0
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Exactly.

End thread
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Having been extremely slim in high school and quite slim in college (no eating disorder, just grew faster than I could keep up with, I think), I get very angry about any campaign that belittles or degrades ANY body size or shape. There are plenty of people for whom a size zero is totally healthy and appropriate. Rather than rejecting any size or shape, I'd much prefer to put my support behind a campaign that embraces any and all sizes and shapes. I'm actually even a bit against the "strong is the new skinny", because again, it degrades "skinny" as an acceptable body type. When I was skinny, I ate healthfully, I participated in sports, and I got teased mercilessly right to my face, being called "disgusting" and lots of other names. It wreaked havoc on my self esteem, regardless of the fact that I was trying to live a healthy life.

Enough with putting down ANYONE'S body types! Can't we all just get along? :heart:
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, making one group feel better by putting down another. Awesome.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options

Yes, yes, yes! No more "no's", lots more "yesses"!
  • knittingwitch
    Options
    That's the part I liked in the blog
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Agree 100%.
  • MsMo4DE
    MsMo4DE Posts: 62
    Options
    My daughter is 11 years old, super slim and wears a size juniors 0 tall pants. In my opinion, it scares me to see grown women look like that. Some may not be able to help it for health reasons, high metabolism or are fitness buffs, but others who struggle with body issues and focus on becoming that size 0 fate is worrisome and extremely sad. To me, healthy is eating balanced meals and doing physical fitness at least 90 minutes a week and trying to be more active instead of sedentary. This campaign should focus more on being fit and healthy instead of a specific size.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    It looks to me like the campaign originates with a model, yes? The fashion world is not like the real world when it comes to body image/sizing. Women who are above a US size 8 are considered 'plus size' in the fashion world.

If this campaign was specifically protesting that being a size 0 was a requirement for getting straight-size modeling contracts, I could get behind it. But if it's applied outside of the fashion industry, not so much.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    People should strive for a healthy weight that suits their goals. For some women, that will mean fitting into a Size 0, for many more, it won't.

I'm wary of campaigns that dictate a body size. Some years ago, Dove had a manipulative campaign that supposedly promoted the beauty of curvy women while at the same time pushing their cellulite products. Boiled down, it went "You're curvy, you're perfect, now work on your cellulite."

Besides, clothing sizes for women are not very meaningful. Yesterday's Size 2 is today's Size 0.
  • IkirPaulson
    IkirPaulson Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Body confidence is #1 in my book. I am really sad about the "Real women have curves!" movement because it says "Women without curves are not real!"

Personally I would like to see the "Real women come in all shapes and sizes!" movement take off.

• knittingwitch
    Options
    Ahhh, making one group feel better by putting down another. Awesome.

But when someone is wearing these shirts do you think their really think yes I'm better then you? Like the strong is the new sexy, to me that isn't putting down skinny people its more lumping them in with the other group. Like pink is the new black, doesn't mean pink is better then black.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what this is even about. Personally, as a woman I've never been lead to believe that woman can't be beautiful with muscles or curves. Whether or not a size 0 is healthy or beautiful depends on a woman's build. Some women can be size 0 and have curves or muscle. Some can't.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Body confidence is #1 in my book. I am really sad about the "Real women have curves!" movement because it says "Women without curves are not real!"

Personally I would like to see the "Real women come in all shapes and sizes!" movement take off.

That would be a campaign to support. Although it's exhausting and dismaying that women's bodies are STILL such a focal point.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

I agree with all of this. I have a couple of friends that are incredible strong and healthy... but they are in the size zero range themselves... they are incredibly beautiful women as they are.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options

I would support that!