exercise weight. gain?

Options
I've been working out 1-2 hrs a day. A normal day is 1 hour cardio in am. Then 20 min of 5 lb weights for my arms. Eating healthy... squats and lunges also. I lost 4 lbs the past 2 weeks. Exercising for 6 weeks rigorously. Then I went up 5 lbs ... my sister in law says it's a muscle gain before loosing more? I am loosing inches still

Replies

• HaleyMulligan42
    HaleyMulligan42 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Best thing is to take measurements. I've just started running after being a retired athlete for 5 years :) and I haven't lost a single pound in 2 weeks BUT i can tell my jeans fit better my shirts aren't tight...so I know it's muscle gain. It probably is the same thing happening to you.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    weight fluctuations are normal.

also check your diet, what is your calorie total and macro breakdown? It's very common to see people eating healthy foods when first starting out, but completely lacking certain macronutrients. So guess what, you're starving and depriving your body and messing with your metabolism.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain/

Read this article... I doubt its muscle gain ... Muscle gain takes a caloric excess not a deficit. And it takes a serious long amount of time with heavy weights not light weights high reps.
  • kristitattoo
    Options
    I started measurements 3 weeks ago.. I've lost about 5 inches total... it's just confusing seeing inches drop. But weight go up.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Could be water retention for the muscles, too.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Can't gain muscle that fast. You can't gain muscle with 5 lb weights period. (not noticeable amount anyway).

Most likely reasons for your observation
    1. Fluctuations
    2. Misjudged calorific intake numbers
    3. That time of the month (possibly)

Your daily goal seems high for weight loss, but I am estimating your weight based off your photo.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You're weight is either fluctuating due to water and glycogen storage.

Or you're building muscle at a deficit with 5 lb dumbells.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I've been working out 1-2 hrs a day. A normal day is 1 hour cardio in am. Then 20 min of 5 lb weights for my arms. Eating healthy... squats and lunges also. I lost 4 lbs the past 2 weeks. Exercising for 6 weeks rigorously. Then I went up 5 lbs ... my sister in law says it's a muscle gain before loosing more? I am loosing inches still

Weight changes are normal. Weight loss is not linear.

I'm sorry but your sister in law is wrong. You won't experience and real muscle gains while eating on a calorie deficit.. especially with lifting 5lb weights.

Ensure you are eating enough to support your level of exercise.
  • kristitattoo
    Options
    Could someone look at my food log and tell me if I'm eating wrong? Its only 2 days worth.. since I'm new. I also had hernia repair surgery on my stomach 3 weeks ago.. so that's y I've been exercising my legs and arms. My weight has gone crazy since surgery. Dropping then raising ..
  • Angelsrose12
    Angelsrose12 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Agggie, great article! Thanks!

OP, I have been doing a lot of reading about how you need to switch things up to trick your body in order to continue weight loss. Basically, your body can get used to a certain routine, whether it be your workouts or eating habits, and adjust your metabolism accordingly resulting in a lower weight loss. What seems to be best is to switch up your eating habits and/or workouts either weekly or biweekly. For example, if this week you are consuming 1400/day calories, next week consume 1600/day then switch back. Another way to switch things up would be to either increase or decrease speed and incline if you are running or walking at least weekly if not more.

In addition to keeping you workouts fresh, be sure you are getting enough calorie. As much as this may sound counter-intuitive, as thisismeraw said, you need enough calories to support your level of exercise. If you eat too few calories, you can put your body into starvation mode and lose less weight overall.

Good luck!
  • kristitattoo
    Options
    Could someone look at my food log and tell me if I'm eating wrong? Its only 2 days worth.. since I'm new. I also had hernia repair surgery on my stomach 3 weeks ago.. so that's y I've been exercising my legs and arms. My weight has gone crazy since surgery. Dropping then raising ..
    .. I Hav also been pregnant back to back.. babies are 14 months apart... youngest 8 weeks . Wondering if that has something to do with my fluctuating
  • Angelsrose12
    Angelsrose12 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It looks to me like you are not getting enough calories, particularly for how much you have been working out.
  • kristitattoo
    Options
    Agggie, great article! Thanks!

OP, I have been doing a lot of reading about how you need to switch things up to trick your body in order to continue weight loss. Basically, your body can get used to a certain routine, whether it be your workouts or eating habits, and adjust your metabolism accordingly resulting in a lower weight loss. What seems to be best is to switch up your eating habits and/or workouts either weekly or biweekly. For example, if this week you are consuming 1400/day calories, next week consume 1600/day then switch back. Another way to switch things up would be to either increase or decrease speed and incline if you are running or walking at least weekly if not more.

In addition to keeping you workouts fresh, be sure you are getting enough calorie. As much as this may sound counter-intuitive, as thisismeraw said, you need enough calories to support your level of exercise. If you eat too few calories, you can put your body into starvation mode and lose less weight overall. Thank u! I'll try that

Good luck!
  • kristitattoo
    Options
    Yea.... I guess being told I need to eat more makes me panick... I'm so used to being told eat less exercise more