Need a good protein drink

Options
I work out two days a week with a trainer for 60-90 mins...it's very intense.... I just hit week 6 and I can finally do a real push-up. Lol. Anyway, For my trainer days I'm looking for a protein drink with 20+ protein that is under 200 cals and not a sodium nightmare. My trainer suggested a drink but it was like $6 a serving which is out of my budget. I went to costco to save a buck and like the taste of the generic brand one i bought but the cals and sodium are crazy... i'd prefer a chocolate flavored drink....any suggestions? Oh and prepackaged type drink but if you know of a good cost effective powder please suggest that too.

And I know I need to eat my workout cals... I do...I just hate drinking cals...I'd rather have extra chicken at dinner then waste an extra hundred cals on a protein drink. Thanks all!

Replies

• BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    buy optimum nutrition whey protein powder. If you mix it with skimmed milk It'll taste fine (I drink it with water but thats not to everyones taste).. Whey protein per serving is probably the cheapest, lowest cal, highest % protein available. I'd also advise getting some carbs in after a workout since its primarily what your body uses to fuel the workout.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Can you just have a protein bar instead?
  • Jessbnsac
    Jessbnsac Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    THANKS!

I will check out the whey powders…a friend lent me a few scoops of hers…but I am unsure what it was…

And yes, I can have a bar instead; I just haven’t found one that seems healthy. They usually have a lot of sugar and sodium. To me they are like mini candy bars that taste like crap, but I haven’t really tried very many…only grocery store brands…I’m still a little intimidated by the health food stores. Any recommendations on a good one to try? :D
  • AllNewMelanie
    AllNewMelanie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had a Pure Protein chocolate protein shake this morning and it was so yummy! I also LOVE their bars :)
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    What about doing something like eating some greek yogurt afterwards? Or add a bit more protein to your meals so you have that boost of protein on your trainer days?

I can't remember the nutritional info but I loved Muscle Maxx in chocolate. Mixed with milk it tasted just like chocolate milk.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    And I know I need to eat my workout cals... I do...I just hate drinking cals...I'd rather have extra chicken at dinner then waste an extra hundred cals on a protein drink. Thanks all!

Just skip the protein shake and eat your extra chicken at dinner.
  • swingsnatchlift
    swingsnatchlift Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Right now I am using Bluebonnet French Vanilla and am really happy with it. It's a bit pricey (about $40 USD on Amazon for 2 pounds) but I need something sweetened with Stevia as artificial sweeteners give me migraines. It's whey protein isolate, 26g protein per serving and only natural occurring sodium from the whey (30mg?). The ingredient list is super short, so you know what's in it. I'm still nursing my youngest and don't want to ingest anything weird.

ETA: 116 calories per serving.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Core Power Light- they are all natural and super yummy.

7531478-5T.jpg
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    casein has been much more filling than whey from my experience.

i have been using protein powders for 5 years
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition to help me meet my protein macros. For one scoop, it is 120cals with 25g protein. I've tried (and really liked) the Double Chocolate and Rocky Road. I just ordered Mocha Cappucino which has gotten a lot of great reviews so we'll see how that goes :D
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    [Me, too!
    quote]
    I had a Pure Protein chocolate protein shake this morning and it was so yummy! I also LOVE their bars :)
    [/quote]
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I use soy portein powder here are the specs

Eas Soy Protein Shake - Vanilla - Protein Shake, 1 scoop

Cal-170

Carbs-19

Fat-2

Protein-20

Sodium-190

They do have it in chocolate too but never tried it.....
  • mysterycookie
    mysterycookie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition natural chocolate is delicious! I prefer the natural one because it has a lot less artificial sweeteners

130 kcal/scoop, 24g protein.

If you do protein powder, I recommend getting a Blender Bottle... those things are awesome!

I like mixing protein with milk, but water tastes decent with it.
  • DonnieBailey
    Options
    I use Abbott Eas Lean 15 Protein Powder 100 calories, 15 g. protein, 5 g. fiber and fat g, 1.5 and sodium is 115 mg. and it tastes good in the vanilla cream flavor. I use 1% milk and I put 12 frozen strawberries (50 calories) and 2 tbs sugar free cheesecake pudding mix and all total it's 235 calories and I blend it and it comes out like ice cream. or a thick shake. Good luck and oh it's only $20.00 per can. I was using Visalus but can't afford it anymore.
  • llamalee
    llamalee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One scoop Designer Whey Double Chocolate + 8 oz Blue Diamond Unsweetened chocolate almondmilk, 4 oz water and a little ice in a shaker. Total calories 145, protein 20 g. Delicious!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I just got some Dymatize ISO 100 in the pina colada flavor 9it comes in chocoalte and a bunch of others), and it is really good. It's 106 calories for 25 grams of protein. I don't know on the sugars or sodium off the otp of my head. It can be pricey, but bodybuilding.com is having it on a pretty good sale right now. Just a plain old glass of chocolate milk would work, too, a little less protein, but a great balance of carbs, fat and protein. You could also do a slice of whole wheat toast with some PB if you'd rather eat than drink.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    8oz Non-Fat Mootopia Protein Fortified Milk
    5 oz (2Tablesp) Hershey Unsweetened Cocoa
    2 Tables Spenda.

Heat Milk 2 min in microw, stir in cocoa & splenda. Drink Hot or Fridge to chill.

Cal - 110
    Carb - 18
    Prot - 14
    Sod - 125
    Sug - 6

Add 2 L or XL hard-boiled egg whites and you've got 20-21 gm prot for excellent Post workout Protein blast without all the extra cost, bad taste, or extra stuff in your diet. If you like, add 1 Teasp honey instead of the Splenda. Plus, you get an added dose of calcium, magnesium, and it tastes yummy.