30 Day Shred/Ripped in 30...issues?

Options
Hi Ladies!

I noticed that there were quite a few of you on here that have attemped or are attempting Jillian Michael's workouts in one form or another.

Basically, I started her 30DS as a way of toning up my body reading for my summer wedding. I'm almost 5ft 10 and weigh around 133lbs (9st 7lbs), so I don't need (or want) to lose any weight.

I completed the 30DS after, well, 30 days, and really enjoyed it. I've since started Ripped in 30 and am finding it more tricky, although some of the moves are similar to those in 30DS.

Now, as I said before, I don't want to lose any weight. The problem I've been having is that I'm finding up putting on weight. Pounds of weight. About 5-6lbs over 6 weeks in total, and it's still going up. I know that some will say it may be muscle and/or water weight, which is what I've also read in reviews. My issue is that I'm also CONSTANTLY hungry. Because of this, I'm eating more and more. I figure if I'm feeling hungry, I should listen to my body and eat. It's obvious that doing the workouts is having an effect on this. I eat three good meals a day, plus healthy snacks in between and before I go to bed. I'm just concerned about where the line if between blaming weight gain on 'muscle/water weight' and actually eating too much? I'm kind of hesitant to carry on at the risk of piling on loads more, and I'm actually finding it quite demotivating.

Before any one talks about losing inches/using a tape measure, I have, and I am looking more toned, especially around my stomach area. I think the main reason I'm conscious of the scales going up is because I used to be a lot bigger than I am. I know you can't rely soley on what the scales tell you. But, like many, I do like to use the scales now and then as a guide to ensure I am maintaining a healthy weight. I don't believe that you can always tell whether you have lost or put on weight simply by looking at yourself in the mirror every day. I have heard others say 'your weight/scale reading will start to stabilise after a couple of weeks', but I'm now on week 6 and haven't seen any sign of it stopping!

I don't know...I think I was expecting to do this workout, tone up, lose inches, and be able to pretty much eat everything within moderation as I was working it off. Now I'm not so sure.

Replies

• chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I saw someone else post that they were always hungry doing the ripped one :/ I have not seen the video but have you done your calculations to see how many calories you should be eating to maintain? Then eat the extras from working out? Jillian's workouts (from my stand point) are merely more to tone / gain muscle. But even working out - you can eat too much. I would suggest checking all your math (BMR, TDEE etc.) to make sure you are where you need to be for calories.
  • __cupcake
    Options
    I would suggest checking all your math (BMR, TDEE etc.) to make sure you are where you need to be for calories.

Thank you very much for this advice. Would you be able to point me in a suitable direction...? *feels silly*.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    As soon as I read this thread and followed it - I not only feel better...I lost weight and inches (which was my goal..I do more cardio for now than strength)
    Follow the links - it will help greatly to calc what you need
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    As soon as I read this thread and followed it - I not only feel better...I lost weight and inches (which was my goal..I do more cardio for now than strength)
    Follow the links - it will help greatly to calc what you need
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm

Ditto. Once I starting following this I got to eat more and lost more weight before I was starving. Remember to eat back your exercise calories if you arent pre-adding them into your TDEE.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    After several weeks of those exercises, I am sure you have increased muscle mass. Also, a healthy weight for someone your height is 132-145, if you have a small frame. Because of your inceased activity, your appettite has understandably increased, but I (frankly) dont see why you are concerned. You have said that you look leaner and your stomach has gotten more toned. I would think a few lbs (like the 5-6 that you have noticed creeping on) are healthy and to your benefit.

After my first 2 weeks of doing the 30 day shred, I hadnt lost a single lb, even though I had dropped well over 10 inches off my waist, chest and hips. I was starving most of the time and I ate when i felt hungry, usually something high protein, low fat.

If you notice your weight continuously going up and your clothes not fitting as well, feeling lethargic, fatigued, bloated, etc, then I would reevaluate your eating/exercise plan.

Congrats on your results, Jillian's workouts are crazy effective!
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    From what you posted, it sounds like you are eating at a surplus from your TDEE, meaning that weight gain is MUSCLE, my friend! Which is a good GOOD thing, because muscle takes up less volume than fat, so while you may weigh more, your body fat percentage will be lower, and you will look SMOKIN for your big day! Also, it's something to be mega proud of since it is exceptionally difficult for women to gain any substantial muscle weight due to our lack of testosterone. Keep it up, stay hydrated, and I also highly, highly recommend checking out scooby's plan for a "clean" bulk! (When I say bulk, I don't mean like crazy female body-builder. I mean building a solid muscle base and looking like Aphrodite.)
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm doing RI30, and on the days when I do that workout on top of my normal daily activity, I burn about 300 calories more than normal. And it does increase my appetite as well, simply because of the higher calorie burn. Her workouts, because they're heavily strength-based, give you a really awesome afterburn. Try this calculator, it's the one that's closest to my actual calorie burn for the day: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

You may find the number to be a little higher than you expected, but if you do, that will completely justify your increased appetite. Once you calculate your calorie burn for the day (TDEE), just know that if you want to lose, eat about 500-1000 calories less than that number, or if you want to maintain, eat up to (but not over, obviously, haha) that number.

If you're looking for more definition, try to make 30% of your calories for the day come from protein, NOT more than 30% of your calories for the day come from fat, and the rest of your calories- about 40%- come from carbs.

As your body gains muscle, you burn more calories. Which is awesome in my opinion, because that means you get to eat more calories! Yums!

*Edit- also, if you're really concerned, grab a scale from Walmart or Target that will measure your body fat %. I think they run about $20-$25. And at your height/weight, it might be a better idea for you to go by your body fat % rather than weight.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Are your clothes still fitting the same or looser? I am 5'7 and started these videos at 130 pounds and I just spent the last two months doing 30 DS and then Ripped in 30 (started 6 week 6 pack today) and I noticed the same as you. I started at 130, went up to 133.8 after the first month and am now back down to 132 (I also walk 30-60 min a day.) My clothes are looser though so I am not going to worry about the weight gain. I do eat back the exercise calories usually.

I am trying not care about the weight as long as my clothes don't get tighter. LOL!!

(Ripped in 30 is awesome, it's made me stronger, I couldn't do a non "girl pushup" on day one and now I can a decent amount!)