Thoughts on Fasted Training?

Options
On Mondays I lift in the am because I have work and school from 10am-8:30pm. My lunch break usually falls around 12-1pm and I love stuffing my face all at once as opposed to make frequent small meals. Recently I am finding out this approach is way more convenient for me.

Monday morning I will usually get up early make breakfast and then training 45min-1hour later. I was wondering if anyone here has had expereince lifting weights in a fasted state. For me personally when I am full of food I feel great and full of energy while working out. However the food I eat in the morning effects how much food I get to eat in the evening. Would switching to training on a fasted stomach be detrimental to me or is there anyone out there that has had success with it. My concerns are that I will get dizzy and light headed without food.

I appreciate any help and all comments! Thanks in advanced.

P.S. It also seems fun and invigorating to me that is another reason why I would want to try it. Just another challenge :bigsmile:

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I typically do not eat before a workout, weights or cardio, unless I'm feeling super hungry or weak. I've only ever lifted this way, so I can't really say if it affects my lifts or not, although I have had sluggish days (usually feeling extra tired) where I have to "force" myself to lift. You could give it a shot and see how you feel, it's going to be rather individual.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I would say it's a personal preference.

Give it a try.

I train fasted all the time and I still have energy for my morning workouts.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's a personal preference also.

Personally, I do cardio on a fasted state a couple times a week, but I always eat before lifting. Like you said, eating gives us energy, and I always want as much energy as I can when I lift so that I can always do my best.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I saw my best results after i started training fasted. I do take some bcaa before a fasted workout though (Leangains protocol)
  • mikepasztor
    Options
    I go to bed on a serving of casein.

I get up at 5:30 and I work out at 6 fasted between an hour and two hours.

I usually load up with a thermo and pre-workout beforehand and I don't feel dizzy or exhausted. This has been my favorite way to workout for awhile now.

I tend to notice burning out and fatigue more at the ends of my workouts when I'm fasted though.

I follow up with a post workout carb to help shuttle protein and perk me up a little bit.

If you work in cardio, definitely do something steady state. HIIT isn't something you want to do fasted. Lol.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    I saw my best results after i started training fasted. I do take some bcaa before a fasted workout though (Leangains protocol)

I looked into that but on my college kid budget I cannot afford more supps or then whey at the moment. Do you notice that bcaa make a huge difference. Would a whey shake have the same affect in regards to proetin synthesis?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've lifted while fasted, and I don't think it had any detrimental effect.

I also like to run while fasted, as I feel better when there isn't food in my stomach.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I lift fasted all the time, in fact, I prefer it. I've also been doing intermittent fasting for about 4 months now and I love it, as i'd rather eat big and well and be done with it. My eating window is 1-8pm. I train at about 11am...so i've had no food for about 15 hours prior to my training session.

I find that my lifts increase regularly, and I have more energy and am able to focus in when I train fasted. I usually supplement with a dose of BCAA before I lift (Xtend, ON Amino Energy, etc) and have not had any problems.

For me, when I eat beforehand I feel sluggish and "heavy", if that makes any sense. I think it's about personal preference. I've heard of some people passing out, feeling weak/dizzy, etc but that hasn't been the case for me.
  • this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    For me it's almost the complete opposite. . I can't eat anything anywhere before I work out . .I feel bloated and can't concentrate with out the feeling that I am making a sloshing sound. . .I usually have a super light breakfast(100-200 cals) and skip lunch so I can work out at night, then eat dinner afterwards . .but on the weekends I wake up around 9-10am and hit the gym till almost 2pm and get a nice big meal afterwards, but zero food before hand. . .hell if I have a heavy meal the night before I some times fill to big for a work out. . .but I have been putting on more LBM and losing inches, lots of definition to boot!
    hope that helps, good luck!
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    You will be fine lifting fasted, i wouldnt waste your money on BCAA's as long as you have sufficient protein at the end of the day youll be just fine.

Give it a shot, see how your lifting goes. If you arnt able to lift at capacity, get some liquid carbs/protein in you before hand.
  • mikepasztor
    Options
    For me, when I eat beforehand I feel sluggish and "heavy", if that makes any sense.

Same here, my lifts aren't the same.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm not as educated at this as others, but from all I have seen, you should be okay. I suppose the best thing to know how it is going to make you feel is to just try it. If it affects your workout, then eat something. If not... run with it!
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options

I looked into that but on my college kid budget I cannot afford more supps or then whey at the moment. Do you notice that bcaa make a huge difference. Would a whey shake have the same affect in regards to proetin synthesis?

To me, the bcaa helps me with energy on those days where i didnt eat enough the day before/ its been over 19 hours since the last time ive eaten. The whey shake would suffice although you wouldnt be in a fasted state anymore.
  • 5grls1boy
    Options
    I workout on an empty stomach always.......it works for me. Try it, I don't think their is any benefit to working out on an empty stomach but see if it works for you. :)
  • Griffin220x
    Options

To me, the bcaa helps me with energy on those days where i didnt eat enough the day before/ its been over 19 hours since the last time ive eaten. The whey shake would suffice although you wouldnt be in a fasted state anymore.

True that, just curious about the bcaa's. Thanks much appreciated.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

BCAA's in powder form can be even cheaper than whey protein, depending on your brand (BCAA in pill form, however, is expensive to get the right amount). I like scivation xtend, it's cheaper and also pretty tasty.

You don't need it, necessarily, but I do notice a difference between taking BCAAs and not, but I hear not everyone does. I just have more drive to get through, weights don't feel as heavy, and energy is sustained.
  • mikepasztor
    Options
    The cool thing with BCAAs are their metabolic routes. They do not have to be metabolized by the liver and tend to be used by the muscles. They do not have calories unlike a protein shake, so it helps when following an intermittent fasting leangains regimen.

So for homey, he probably consumes his largest meal after his workout which ends his fast and then he has 8 hours to consume his calories for the day.
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    The cool thing with BCAAs are their metabolic routes. They do not have to be metabolized by the liver and tend to be used by the muscles. They do not have calories unlike a protein shake, so it helps when following an intermittent fasting leangains regimen.

So for homey, he probably consumes his largest meal after his workout which ends his fast and then he has 8 hours to consume his calories for the day.

Thats not really true, BCAA's do indeed have calories. Leucine infact has 7 cal/g
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback!
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your are trying to accomplish. If you are looking to lose b/f and maintain muscle mass then IF would be the way to go but if you are trying to add size/mass then I would have at least some carbs before hand.