Say No To The Size Zero Campaign

Options
13»

Replies

• knittingwitch
    knittingwitch Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Wasn't the whole point of this campaign to stop modeling agencies from forcing their models to be a size zero? I don't think it was to degrade the size zero people of the world.

Yes that is true but it has taken off in to the real world and people are getting crazy with it. Which is what I'm saying it wasn't meant to be taken the way it has been, but now that its out there what are your thoughts and feelings.
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My sister in law is very healthy has two kids, eats us all under the table (healthy food tho) and she is to small to get into a size 0. She doesn't look sickly or anything! My best friend is a size 16 and can out run the average size folks lol So just to loving our healthy bodies at any size as, we are all beautiful :)
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    How angry would people be if there was a "Say no to size 18" campaign to combat obesity?

It's the same thing.

It would also be terribly wrong and degrade an entire group of people.

I completely agree. Today's society needs to concentrate on loving and embracing your body, and educating on health and fitness. Not be this, not that.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Wasn't the whole point of this campaign to stop modeling agencies from forcing their models to be a size zero? I don't think it was to degrade the size zero people of the world.

Yes that is true but it has taken off in to the real world and people are getting crazy with it. Which is what I'm saying it wasn't meant to be taken the way it has been, but now that its out there what are your thoughts and feelings.

I know a size zero can be healthy. In reality, I think the issue of women striving to be a size zero and being very unhealthy is an epidemic and is probably much more common that women who are petite and healthy.. I think women starving themselves is a bigger issue than people being offended by a slogan. BUT, there should be a better slogan or a better way to get the message out. If you are hearing about this campaign for the first time, it does come off as "size zero is bad' rather than "people are pushing us to be a size zero."
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, making one group feel better by putting down another. Awesome.

But when someone is wearing these shirts do you think their really think yes I'm better then you? Like the strong is the new sexy, to me that isn't putting down skinny people its more lumping them in with the other group. Like pink is the new black, doesn't mean pink is better then black.

It's putting down an entire group of people. "Say No to...." is essentially translated into "Size Zero is Bad/Wrong". If there were a "Say No to Size 22" campaign, there would be outrage. I don't understand why it's socially acceptable to degrade slim people as a means of making non-slim people feel better.

People come in all shapes, sizes, colors, models. One is not "bad" and one is not "good". Supporting a "Say No to Size Zero" campaign is inherently offending people who are size zero.

I don't think there would be any more an out rage then there is for the size zero one.
    That's the hole point of this post, I have noticed a real out rage and I am wanting to learn more about peoples feelings on the issue. I'm not saying these campaigns are in the right, but I think they weren't meant to say to individuals your ugly for being skinny. To me its more a statement on society constantly putting every body shape down that isn't a size 0.
    It wasn't done very well I admit to that, and there are much better slogans out there that you can get on a shirt.
    So far this post has been very educational, I knew that every one at one point or another has been picked on for some thing.

I'm going to have to politely disagree with you here - I think that anti-skinny campaigns are pretty socially acceptable ("Real Women Have Curves", "Bones are for Dogs", etc.), but the minute people make something that could be perceived as a slight against overweight people, it becomes a huge issue.

Maybe the campaign meant to say that beauty doesn't have one standard measure, but it doesn't quite come off that way.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I always thought Dove had a good campaign. Showing women of all shapes and sizes. I can get with that. I DO truly wish that more companies would follow suit and do similar campaigns.

I also like how Marie Claire(I think that's right) would have similar shoots and the women saying what they loved about their bodies.

The fashion industry is probably NOT going to change a whole bunch no matter what campaign. BUT it's lovely to see some people realizing they can make a positive change.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Why don't they just number womens pants with the waist measurement like they do mens? Problem solved :)
  • FireEngineRedHead
    FireEngineRedHead Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I would kill a beeyotch to be a size 0, so no.
    But I do believe you should be able to happy NOT being a size 0.
  • JessieJanie
    JessieJanie Posts: 428
    Options
    Why don't they just number womens pants with the waste measurement like they do mens? Problem solved :)

I agree!!
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    My daughter is a size zero, that is just her body structure. I don't see anyone saying "Say no to the size 14", kind of a weird campaign, why target size zero, making people who really are that size feel uncomfortable?
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't care for this, it feels like an artificial conflict drummed up between thin people and non-thin people when I think the real enemy is the idea that our self-worth depends on our pants size.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I am way more about "Strong is the new skinny" than a stupid number hang up, because I find strong, healthy women to be the most confident, happy and fulfilled, and THAT is what true beauty means to me, regardless of size.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I agree with you that the intentions of people wearing "say no to size 0" and "strong is the new skinny" are good. But I pretty much agree with the blog you posted. I don't like either of them. I started out in size 22 and turns out I have a small frame and here I sit in size 1/2 pants today (usually size 4-6 but vanity sizing I guess?). And while I want to be strong, what's wrong with someone who is skinny? I don't think strong people are better than skinny people just....stronger :tongue: Again, I get that the point is that people should aspire to be strong rather than aspire to be skinny which is a great sentiment.
    Good post OP :happy:
  • dangerxbadger
    Options
    Ahhh, making one group feel better by putting down another. Awesome.

But when someone is wearing these shirts do you think their really think yes I'm better then you? Like the strong is the new sexy, to me that isn't putting down skinny people its more lumping them in with the other group. Like pink is the new black, doesn't mean pink is better then black.

It's putting down an entire group of people. "Say No to...." is essentially translated into "Size Zero is Bad/Wrong". If there were a "Say No to Size 22" campaign, there would be outrage. I don't understand why it's socially acceptable to degrade slim people as a means of making non-slim people feel better.

People come in all shapes, sizes, colors, models. One is not "bad" and one is not "good". Supporting a "Say No to Size Zero" campaign is inherently offending people who are size zero.

I don't think there would be any more an out rage then there is for the size zero one.
    That's the hole point of this post, I have noticed a real out rage and I am wanting to learn more about peoples feelings on the issue. I'm not saying these campaigns are in the right, but I think they weren't meant to say to individuals your ugly for being skinny. To me its more a statement on society constantly putting every body shape down that isn't a size 0.
    It wasn't done very well I admit to that, and there are much better slogans out there that you can get on a shirt.
    So far this post has been very educational, I knew that every one at one point or another has been picked on for some thing.

I'm going to have to politely disagree with you here - I think that anti-skinny campaigns are pretty socially acceptable ("Real Women Have Curves", "Bones are for Dogs", etc.), but the minute people make something that could be perceived as a slight against overweight people, it becomes a huge issue.

Maybe the campaign meant to say that beauty doesn't have one standard measure, but it doesn't quite come off that way.

I fully agree with this. It's like there's a huge backlash against the thinness worship of the 80's and 90's, and IMO it could be correlated with the fact that over 30% of Americans (as of 2012) are obese, compared to the 12% in 1990.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't care for this, it feels like an artificial conflict drummed up between thin people and non-thin people when I think the real enemy is the idea that our self-worth depends on our pants size.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I am way more about "Strong is the new skinny" than a stupid number hang up, because I find strong, healthy women to be the most confident, happy and fulfilled, and THAT is what true beauty means to me, regardless of size.
    See that's why I don't like the "strong is the new skinny" thing. I know plenty of skinny people who are confident, happy, and fulfilled. :flowerforyou: I know it could come down to different definitions of "skinny". I don't see healthy and skinny as mutually exclusive.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Now, don't get me wrong. I am a HUGE fan of the "strong is the new skinny" idea.
    Having a daughter I really hope this trend continues.

BUT "say no to size zero" isn't really a motto I can get with. A lot of very strong and very fit women happen to be a size zero. So why on earth would you degrade that?

^this. there is no need to target a specific size to campaign against to be PRo something else. It's not fair to people who are that size by choice, healthy, or accident, health problems. THere has to be another way to say it or a nicer slogan to run with.
  • dangerxbadger
    Options

See that's why I don't like the "strong is the new skinny" thing. I know plenty of skinny people who are confident, happy, and fulfilled. :flowerforyou: I know it could come down to different definitions of "skinny"

Well, and to be fair, I think that is semantics. It's about opinion and perception, and I think the campaign's INTENT is to focus more on health and happiness rather than striving to be as thin as possible. There are better ways to go about it, but ultimately I'm going to quote Dita Von Tesse here, "You can be the juiciest peach in the whole world, and there will still be someone who hates peaches." You can't make everyone happy.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Personally I would like to see the "Real women come in all shapes and sizes!" movement take off.

Totally!!! what depresses me is that so often these things end up going from shaming one body type to shaming another. There's a huge amount of variation among people, we should celebrate all body types and encourage people to be healthy and the best versions of themselves that they can be.

It's okay to be size zero, and it's okay to not be size zero, so long as you're healthy.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    This is just sizism . . . it's not even presented from a different point of view. I can be a fit and healthy size 0, so what's wrong with that? Basing or bashing goals due simply to an arbitrary size or weight is just not something I can support. I support healthy and fit and active.
  • dangerxbadger
    Options
    Personally I would like to see the "Real women come in all shapes and sizes!" movement take off.

Totally!!! what depresses me is that so often these things end up going from shaming one body type to shaming another. There's a huge amount of variation among people, we should celebrate all body types and encourage people to be healthy and the best versions of themselves that they can be.

It's okay to be size zero, and it's okay to not be size zero, so long as you're healthy.

Yes.