Weight Lifting At Home

Options
So I currently do alot of Jilian Micheals workouts an hour a day and also hit the treadmill for usually an hour as well. I am looking to start lifting free weights at home. I do not have a fitness bench only free weights. The ones I have right now are 10 and 12 pounds which may not seem like alot to those of you that are use to lifting weights but that is where I am starting. What I am looking for is a good website that can give me some beginner moves that I can make a whole workout to. If anyone has any ideas that would be great. :)

Replies

• saratf
    saratf Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this workout: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
    You might look into getting adjustable dumbbells. For around $40 on amazon you can get a cheap set that should go up to around 25 pounds each.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    That site looks pretty good thanks. I also had no clue they made adjustable dumbells.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Also check out Fitness Blender. They're on YouTube, but they also have their own website which lets you know what equipment you'll need for each workout.
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    nerdfitness.com

awesome site!
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest you get two each of 3lb and 5lb dumbells. A lot of really great arm workouts use the small dumbells, and I promise, 10 lbs is too heavy, unless you want to be a weight lifter model! SELF magazine, and a lot of other fitness magazines have some great videos in their monthly issues. I do weights at home a lot and don't have a bench. I only use the 10lbers for regular bicep curls and sometimes with lunges. If you want those sexy arms Michelle Obama has, the lighter ones are all you need :)

Look for keywords like tricep and deltoid in the description of what you're doing. My favorite: Stand with a 3 or 5 lb weight in each hand, palms facing each other, arms extended straight to the ceiling. Bend your elbow back so your forarm is level with the floor. Slowly, in a controlled move, straighten your arm. Bend elbow and straighten. Do this a total of 15 times, either both arms at the same time or one at a time. Do 3 sets. It gets rid of the nasty "bat wings" we women seem to get on the bottom of our upper arms :)
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Craigslist you can get a power rack, bar, weights, and maybe even dumb bells at a cheaper price then buying them new.
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Since you are just getting started.....make sure you have 3s, 5s, 8s, and 10s to start off with. Even for those of us who do use heavier, these are an absolute necessity. If you are starting off, start with 5s minimums. You'll find out that even though they seem light, by the time you get to your 8 or even 12 count (depending on your rep goal) they will be heavy and getting your second set in will be impossible.

Best way to try.....with your lightest ones, while standing with knees slightly bent, lift weights (straight arm) to breast hi, then swing open even with your sides, then put down on your side. Repeat backwards....lift straight arms from your sides, bring to front.

If they get heavy after the first 3....good indicator you need lighter weights. This is a great workout for shoulders and biceps, but not worth a darn if you can't lift the weights.

Go light for the first 2-3 weeks then move up one weight size and work that way. Easier on the joints and muscles.

Good luck.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later. Thanks all!
  • ink176
    ink176 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have the same problem -- love Jillian Michaels but she doesn't do much arm work. Here are some of my favorite arm workouts on DVD (shorter workouts, part of larger DVDs -- which is what I like) -- http://www.squidoo.com/best-arm-workout-dvds