Body Key by Nutrilite -- anyone done this?

Options
The trainer at my gym is rolling out the Body Key program. (By Nutrilite, parent company Amway). They take a mouth swab, test your DNA to see if you are one of three body types (which will help decide the best supplements, diet and exercise to help you lose weight), and then give you supplements and such (listed below).

From the pamphlet:

Take the genetic test and find out which NEW
BODYKEY by NUTRILITE™ plan is right for you.

1. Carb Reducer™ Plan
• BODYKEY Meal
Replacement Shakes
• NUTRILITE® SLIMMETRY®
Dietary Supplement
• NUTRILITE Carb Blocker 2

2. Fat Trimmer™ Plan
• BODYKEY Meal
Replacement Shakes
• NUTRILITE SLIMMETRY
Dietary Supplement
• NUTRILITE CLA 500

3. Better Balancer™ Plan
• BODYKEY Meal
Replacement Shakes
• NUTRILITE SLIMMETRY
Dietary Supplement
• NUTRILITE Glucose Health

Has anyone done this before? Experiences? Results? Side effects?

(Please don't give me any "the only way to lose weight is through exercise and proper diet" sermon. I've been around the weight loss block a couple times, I know what has worked for me in the past is not working for me AT ALL this go round. Working out in a kickboxing boot camp and eating right for the past month has resulted in me not being able to slide off my wedding ring or fit into a gown which fit before I started working out, and my weight has remained the same. I have even cut coffee, sodas, caffeine, and artificial sweeteners. I am posting this to find out experiences from anyone who has used this system.)

If this has been posted as a forum topic before, please give me the link and I'll be glad to read through it. Through the basic search function, I couldn't find anything.

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    It would work out the same as any other meal replacement program out there. It ultimately cuts your calories. The meal replacements don't do anything magical in terms of increasing your losses. And the pills... they won't make you lose anymore weight.

It isn't a magical system. It is another form of a multi level marketing company. People are distributers who than make money off of your orders... probably why someone suggested it to you in the first place. They want to make money off of you.

To me, it's a complete waste of money. You can get much better and cheaper nutrition from real food as opposed to shakes and pills. Don't go by what people say who sell the stuff as they just want to make money.

Ultimately, these shakes and pills won't give you higher losses than proper diet and exercise. Are you really willing to spend hundreds of dollars on something that won't make for LASTING weight loss? Any weight you do lose due to cutting your calories for some chemical filled shake won't actually last once you stop drinking the shakes and taking the pills. Shake diets don't teach you how to live with sustainable weight loss that is healthy.

This stuff is the same as Body by Vi, Shakelology and the rest of the MLM shake crap out there. Eat real food and don't waste your money. Don't waste your money. Spend the money on a trainer (not the trainer selling this crap) instead.
  • thisismeraw
    Options
    Also, I went to take a look through your diary to see if there was anything I could point out to help you with but you haven't filled it in. Do you track elsewhere or do you not track at all?

If you honestly track, measure/weigh your food, make proper choices and get exercise (while changing it up now and again) you will lose weight. It all depends on how much you are eating, exercise you are doing, when you changed things up last, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Well the positive is that they manufacture their own products (most companies hire 3rd parties to do this then just slap their label on them). Carb blockers haven't be found to really work and CLA is very very modest at helping with weight loss. When you purchase from an MLM company, you're usually paying for the income of the upline (who most of the time had nothing to do with the sale, manufacturing, etc.) which IMO you could go out and spend less to get the same kind of quality supplements.

But I'll re emphasize that if it's not a program you're willing to stick to for life, then chances are it's just a temporary fix. And that's what the diet industry wants: temporary fixes for repeat business.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jmoiso
    jmoiso Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi!! I have not tried this system yet, but my husband will be doing so next month when we place in our next orders.
    I am currently using Slimmetry and Carb Blockers, and have lost 17lbs in three weeks! They are pretty awesome.

I also replace two meals a day with meal bars and meal replacement shakes. Also, previous posters are correct- these aren't "magic" pills!!! I work out everyday, drink plenty of water, eats lots of fruits & veggies and track all of my calories. In my personal experience, I have found that they have given me an edge with losing weight.

Good luck with your weight loss!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback :) The more I looked into it, the deeper I dug, the more I realized it's just another fad diet without substance. And yes, the fitness trainer recommending it is also the rep. That put me on guard right off the bat.

thisismeraw - I don't log my food often enough. I have excuses and I have reasons. *shrug* I'm getting back into working out and I'm very aware of what I eat, which is the start of me getting back into it. I've lost the weight before, with diet and exercise, so I know how to do it again, but this time around it's been harder. I've had a lot of health issues that are preventing me from exercising, but I'm slowly overcoming them. Once I'm ready, I'll start logging better. I do have spells where I log regularly but they are 2 or 3 days here or there. I know I'm not eating at my calorie limit to lose weight but I also know I'm not eating at my calorie level I *was* before.... which means I should see some weight loss, no matter how small. Again... *shrug* I'm doing what I can at the moment. If I'm not sick, someone else in the house is sick, so I do what I can, where I can. Thanks for taking the time to look and try to make suggestions!!

ninerbuff - I love kickboxing! Started it about a month ago. Now only if I can get my kicks in proper form!! grrrr. I have the punches down. I love it!!! Such a great workout!

jmoiso - Good luck on the program! I hope you see great results. I already knew ahead of time I'd have a problem replacing meals with shakes. I just can't do it. Is Slimmetry the Reliv product? I love Reliv. I need to get back to drinking those shakes. They are AMAZING nutritionally!!
  • ulricaann
    ulricaann Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congratulation, I am also on both products and have decided you become an IBO. It was the best choice I have made with working towards a better life. I have lost 10 lb but to be honest with you. At this time in my life I am really busy, so I mostly walk and not do the 4-3-2-1 workout video. Everything is well worth it. I hope that you add me as your friend so that I can be updated with your progress. Good Luck!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Congratulation, I am also on both products and have decided you become an IBO. It was the best choice I have made with working towards a better life. I have lost 10 lb but to be honest with you. At this time in my life I am really busy, so I mostly walk and not do the 4-3-2-1 workout video. Everything is well worth it. I hope that you add me as your friend so that I can be updated with your progress. Good Luck!
    Op decided NOT to do it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ram130
    ram130 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just to verify are you guys saying you won't loose any weight with the Body Key Shake? or if you do it's only temporary? How come?
  • rdoiban
    rdoiban Posts: 1
    Options
    to what thisismeraw stated: "To me, it's a complete waste of money. You can get much better and cheaper nutrition from real food as opposed to shakes and pills. Don't go by what people say who sell the stuff as they just want to make money. "

Are you suggesting that every single product known to man kind is a waste of money? Cause last time I checked every single commercial/ advertisement we see everywhere is someone trying to sell you stuff to make money. But because an individual would like to do the same its wrong and we shouldnt listen to them.

In my opinion the company does almost 12 Billion dollars a year in revenue. My guess is their products are pretty good if they selling that much. To show how much they stand by their products they give you 6 months to use the whole thing and if you dont like it they will refund your money no questions asked.

But hey thisismeraw might be making more then 12 Billion a year so he/she might be smarter.

FYI: Some of the sports franchises who use Exclusively Nutrilite products. Detroit Red Wings, AC Milan Football club. So its good for some of the most credible athletes in the world.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    garbage..do not do it!
  • thisismeraw
    Options
    to what thisismeraw stated: "To me, it's a complete waste of money. You can get much better and cheaper nutrition from real food as opposed to shakes and pills. Don't go by what people say who sell the stuff as they just want to make money. "

Are you suggesting that every single product known to man kind is a waste of money? Cause last time I checked every single commercial/ advertisement we see everywhere is someone trying to sell you stuff to make money. But because an individual would like to do the same its wrong and we shouldnt listen to them.

In my opinion the company does almost 12 Billion dollars a year in revenue. My guess is their products are pretty good if they selling that much. To show how much they stand by their products they give you 6 months to use the whole thing and if you dont like it they will refund your money no questions asked.

But hey thisismeraw might be making more then 12 Billion a year so he/she might be smarter.

FYI: Some of the sports franchises who use Exclusively Nutrilite products. Detroit Red Wings, AC Milan Football club. So its good for some of the most credible athletes in the world.

My bet is you work for the company somehow.

What I said was my opinion... everyone is free to form their own. I may not agree with them and you may not agree with mine but that doesn't mean one person is right.

I don't purchase products pushed through MLM. That's a choice of mine.

I believe all the different shakes and pill companies are a waste of money. Outside of some medical issue you can achieve the nutrition you need through real food alone without resorting to pills and shakes. All those diet shake companies are a waste of money. All those diet pill companies are a waste of money. I barely consume processed foods. I can get my nutrition from things that are not processed. Relying on nutrition and weight loss from shakes and pills is not healthy. Popping multiple pills a day in the name of weight loss is not healthy and that's part of Body Key.

You don't have to agree with me. It doesn't mean I am right or you are right.

While the people who use the products can help push sales it doesn't always mean a product is good. Realize that people and companies are paid to state they use the products, love the products, recommend the products, etc.

A companies yearly revenue doesn't equal a great product. Nutrilite alone does not take is 12 billion a year. Amway makes just over 11 billion a year. High revenue just means a lot of people are buying the product... it doesn't mean it is a lot of repeat customers. HIgh revenue doesn't always mean good products or healthy products. A good return policy doesn't mean a great product. Most people don't return something when you have to ship it back to a company. Making a lot of money doesn't mean one person is smarter than the other either. If that's what you really think that I feel bad for you.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Truth: the majority of money made from an MLM are from the "distributors" buying the products to stay active. A small percentage is actually made from "outside" sales.

IDEA Fitness member
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading at "test your DNA"...

took the words right out of my mouth

why do people actually get excited about this stuff? Every time some money making sharks come out with a new 'magical' way to lose weight there are always crazy people queuing up to hand over their hard earned cash to them. Always.

Stop it!

Eat less and move more. Nobody needs to be taking DNA swabs from you. This is not a crime scene
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options

And this is your first post. LOL Are you by any chance a rep/sell the product?

FYI: Herbalife is also a sponsor of FC Barcelona and the LA Galaxy soccer teams. That doesn't mean that I should purchase and use Herbalife, does it? I get that it lends an air of legitimacy to the product, but I would wager that if you ask the professional athletes whether the product is the precursor to their success, they would look at you like you were nuts. Also, it is a very different thing for a professional athlete, who burns tons and tons of calories each day during the season, to drink a shake or two to get in enough calories and recover after workouts than for someone who is trying to lose weight to use the same product.
  • jennapotashboles
    Options
    Hi there,
    I have a reply to your bodykey comments and question about its validity. First of all, I had the most amazing results on bodykey more than any other weight loss system i have ever tried. Like you i tried exercising, eating healthy, and every other fad out there. My friend, who is an Amway IBO, suggested bodykey because they wanted to help me, not just because they wanted to make money on me. Yes they have a store and are making money when someone purchases something, but isnt that the case with EVERY other store out there? Doesnt walmart, costco, and YOUR BOSS all make money off of you? In this case you have a caring trainer who knows your body and is there to help you!! What more could you ask for? Wouldnt you rather buy a weight loss system from him rather than from someone else? What is more appalling is that you seem to trust people out in the blogosphere rather than your own trainer who physically knows you, which definitely points to some issues. Maybe you should do some valid research on Bodykey and Nutrilite like i did and you would find that Nutrilite is the NUMBER ONE selling vitamin and supplement company in the WORLD, and I found that info on a neutral website. Stop worrying about MLM's and start worrying about your health, because that is what this post is supposed to be. If you follow bodykey and have help from your trainer, i guarantee you will see great results, or he will give you your money back. I lost 5 pounds and 2 inches in the first week!! So stop worrying about what everyone else thinks and go talk to your trainer, the person that actually knows and cares about your wellbeing, not these negative people out here will just bring you down.
  • annafern360
    annafern360 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently attended a nutrition seminar by Dr. Kip Johnson who has his degree from the University of LA and who's focus is prevention and natural wellness. He is not a distribution of or an employee of Nutrilite, Amway or Body Key BUT he fully endorses the product line and is extremely excited about it. He's very concerned about a number of the top health problems we are facing today including heart disease and obesity and made a point to impress upon us the potential of Nutrilite and the Body Key program to make a huge difference in people's lives in a positive way and save lives.

He talked about the genetic testing and why that's important. Genetic research has identified over 100 genes that effect how your body metabolizes food. We all know people who seem to be able to eat anything and never gain weight as well as people who try diet after diet without significant results. While there is some truth to the calories in calories out philosophy there are in fact some variations in how our bodies metabolize food and the Body Key genetic test targets six specific genes that are directly tied to that. The Body Key PROGRAM as whole is not about just pushing shakes and pills, yes there are shakes and supplements you can buy, but that's not the program. The program is aimed at identifying the type(s) of exercise your body will respond best to and what balance of fats, protein and carbohydrates you body needs. Simply saying "eat less move more" sounds good, but if you aren't eating the right foods in the right proportions that your body needs you are going to be very hungry and you won'
    t have the energy to do that moving.

Also, if you are saying meal replacement shakes and supplement are a waste if money and eating real food is cheaper you are either ignorant and need to do some better research or you just haven't done the math. Nutrilite shakes and supplements are designed to deliver maximum nutrients at minimum calories and cost. And unlike some things out there they are actually palatable, my three year old loves them! Nutrilite supplements are made from organic plant concentrates. Eating organic, free range, grass fed, wild caught ect expensive, and trying to get all the variety if fruits and vegetables, lean protein, healthy fats ect that we need EACH day is a full time job on its own. The fact is that 93% of Americans are NOT meeting their nutritional needs through "just eating food". Nutrilite supplements and shakes are designed to complement the eating plans in the Body Key PROGRAM which includes menus eating REAL FOOD designed by a professional chef to be healthy and taste good!

To the people who said they don't buy products sold through MLM/direct selling/network marketing ect, think about what you are saying. You are trusting products brought to market through advertising and paid shelf space over the recommendation of person you personally know. I doubt you chose your doctor or dentist that way so why are you choosing your foods that way?
  • thisismeraw
    Options

Also, if you are saying meal replacement shakes and supplement are a waste if money and eating real food is cheaper you are either ignorant and need to do some better research or you just haven't done the math. Nutrilite shakes and supplements are designed to deliver maximum nutrients at minimum calories and cost.

First post here and you go on and on about how great this product is....

I'm not ignorant, I have done my research and I know the math... I can buy real food for MUCH cheaper than any of those shakes and supplements available on the market. $40 a week and I've got enough food for me... real food, not powdered stuff... that gets me exactly what I need. REAL food is always, by far better than relying on a shake that has been processed in a factory. If I ever wanted some shake full of fruits and veggies I would make it on my own with fresh foods instead of overly processed foods.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Some strong 1rd posts in here