Has anyone had success due to spinning classes?

Options

Replies

• rob32768
    rob32768 Posts: 505
    Options
    Spinning has helped me a great deal so far. I would also recommend starting slow and getting a heart rate monitor. After a few weeks I found it helped me keep my intensity and effort levels "honest". I currently have a 1200 net cal / day goal which I get close to hitting by lunch time - but a good spin class give me that extra 400+ cals so I have some room for a decent evening meal.

Also - The first few times the seat was very uncomfortable for me - but after 2 weeks I got used to it now it is no bother at all. Keep this in mind if you find yourself in the same boat.

Lastly - have the instructor get your bike set up properly (seat, handlebars, etc) A correctly set up bike makes a BIG difference.

Good luck!
  • Katy010305
    Options
    I have lost over 30 pounds since June 1, 2012 and have been spinning 45-60 minutes a day for at least 3 days a week. I love it! I am definitely hooked! I completely recommend it to anyone! You work your way up in intensity. You can go at your own pace...and one day, you will be spinning just like the rest of us! :o)
  • Zorod
    Zorod Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just like with any new exercise your body will struggle to adjust. The beauty of spinning is that there is no impact on your joints. Until you are comfortable sit in the back row if there is one at your gym. Don't stand if your not balanced yet and be conservative with the resistance. Be careful that you don't injure yourself with an improper bike fit and don't put huge resistance on until later.
  • TheBookFairy
    TheBookFairy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've only just started going to Spin classes (I'm a runner and I got injured while Marathon training), my Physio recommended cycling to cross train and maintain some of my fitness until I can run again. I have to say - please don't assume that just because you find the effort really hard, and you sweat a lot, you are burning more calories than you would doing other kinds of exercise! 800 calories an hour is unattainable! Running hard burns more calories than pretty much any other sport (apparently cross-country skiing is the only sport which generally burns more!), and I wouldn't expect to burn more than about 650 cals in an hours run. When I'm spinning I sweat bucket-loads, far more than when I'm running. it feels such hard work! Yet when I check my heart rate, I'm not even up to my "easy-run" heart rate! This is partly because it is new to me so the effort appears to be harder, and also because I don't have my cycling muscles developed... Yet! Having said that, I love the classes, our teacher is a demon! And I have now started road-biking with my husband (a new MAMIL!).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've only just started going to Spin classes (I'm a runner and I got injured while Marathon training), my Physio recommended cycling to cross train and maintain some of my fitness until I can run again. I have to say - please don't assume that just because you find the effort really hard, and you sweat a lot, you are burning more calories than you would doing other kinds of exercise! 800 calories an hour is unattainable! Running hard burns more calories than pretty much any other sport (apparently cross-country skiing is the only sport which generally burns more!), and I wouldn't expect to burn more than about 650 cals in an hours run. When I'm spinning I sweat bucket-loads, far more than when I'm running. it feels such hard work! Yet when I check my heart rate, I'm not even up to my "easy-run" heart rate! This is partly because it is new to me so the effort appears to be harder, and also because I don't have my cycling muscles developed... Yet! Having said that, I love the classes, our teacher is a demon! And I have now started road-biking with my husband (a new MAMIL!).

Remember too though, you are already cardio fit - so your HR doesn't have to beat as much to supply the required oxygen to burn the fuel.

Depending on if your HRM has VO2max and HRmax properly setup, you may be burning more than you know, even though HR is low.

Because cycling does for most folks, especially with running background, have an equal correlation of about 10 bpm less for equal effort and calorie burn.

So add 10 to your Spin HR, does that match a tad better to running at easy-run level?
  • alejandra555
    alejandra555 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I almost always hit 1200 by lunch, so it's great to have the leftovers for dinner :)

I started spinning this summer and absolutely fell head over heels in love with it! Yes, the first class was hard, but it got better and better. It's the closest to a runner's high that I've found (besides running, of course). I definitely recommend it!! And don't worry about butt soreness, that fades away...your glutes will start burning so much that you'll forget about the seat!
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    At this point, I don't exercise at all. I've always wanted to try spinning classes. I've been told you can burn a lot of calories and really tone up from spinning.

If you don't exercise at all, do NOT start with a spinning class unless it is specifically slated for beginners. Spinning is intense and can be difficult even for people who are used to a lot of exercise.

I started a spinning class thinking it would be fine because I always did a lot of cardio, and it was one of the most painful things ever!

DISAGREE! Go! Spinning is for everyone!

Come on, that is ridiculous.

ANYONE at ANY FITNESS LEVEL can do a spinning class. The first time I ever took a spin class, I had just had my 3rd child and had not worked out in 9 years (9 years of near constant pregnancy (6 pregnancies) and nursing). Yes, it was hard, and my booty hurt, but it was motivating.

I became an instructor within 6 mos. That was 8 years ago.

Huge calorie burn! Bring water, get there 10 minutes early, and have the instructor explain everything to you.

Go 3 times within 2 weeks and your booty will no longer hurt, you will be able to do everything and you will be hooked.

P.S. do not waste money on padded shorts or a padded seat. 3x in 2 weeks, and you will be fine. that is all.

blessings.

I SO agree with this.

My first spin class was brutal and I nearly threw up. After a dizzy spell while getting off the bike I had a more seasoned spinner tell me that there was no reason I had to push myself to be at the level the others were. Most spin instructors reference heart rate zones as well as cadence/gears/resistance and that is what I pay attention to, even now after 2 years of spinning. My heart rate may be at 75% at 90 cadence, 10th gear/resistance and the next guy may be at 75% at 110 cadence, 15th gear/resistance. That is why heart rate targets are THE best way I've found to enjoy these classes while getting the maximum results.

I fell so in love with spinning I actually bought a commercial spin bike and now do spinning.com dvd's in our home gym. No padded shorts, but I do highly recommend getting cycling shoes with clips for the rides that you stand up in.

Oh - and to answer the OP's question - MAJOR SUCCESS from spinning. Not just with lbs/inches lost but with endurance across the cardio board. Running, swimming, road bike, etc.
  • kyliedurnan
    kyliedurnan Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hayleybjohnson
    Options
    Spin bikes have gears which means you can do it all at your own pace, that's not to say you shouldn't push yourself for maximum results. There are instructors there to guide you, take advantage of that otherwise you may as well buy your own spin bike and watch a DVD!
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spin. I haven't been in a while. I cancelled my $100 gym membership because the quality declined and price went up and individual classes are pricey for how often I used to do it.

It's such a calorie burn! Just make sure you fuel your body and hydrate, If it's your first time, take it slow. You don't always have to increase resistance as much as the instructor says. It can be crazy and the first class you probably want to see what your getting yourself into! But a few classes and you'll be great.
  • phnompenny
    phnompenny Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just went to my first Spinning class today and absolutely loved it. It's hard, yes, but when you are there you want to push yourself and I have to say seeing the sweat pouring out of me only made me want to work harder. Totally addictive workout and high intensity too. Can't wait for the next class!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    At this point, I don't exercise at all. I've always wanted to try spinning classes. I've been told you can burn a lot of calories and really tone up from spinning.

It depends what you mean by "success".
    I have mostly been doing Les Mill's RPM since the beginning of the year. I agree with others who have said that for a beginner this sort of high-intensity interval training is extremely hard for a beginner. But, it can be done.

I burn on average around 600 calories per 45min session. It is absolutely fantastic for cardio-vascular fitness and heart health and toning your legs. RPM is part of a number of activities and dietary program that I use for improving my health and wellbeing (inc. weightloss).
    kind regards,

Ben
  • BelleVegan77
    BelleVegan77 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I actually work in a gym :) and we do have spin bikes here. You really do burn a lot really effective work out! Here are the tips I have to offer! Bike shorts or a gel seat or even a towel over the seat are a MUST LOL my butt hurts so bad I give up after about 10mins max but I always sweat like a pig and come away feeling like I have done something!
  • caitnessy
    Options
    I love spin classes! My favorite type of spin class is called and spin and pump...we do reps of squats...sit ups..walking lunges...resistance bands..ect in between the spinning circuits....if you weigh around 150lbs my average spin class burns about 600. In just a straight spin class that was an hour we did 650 calories..
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I would highly encourage spin classes :). The hardest part is getting over the uncomfortableness of the seat. I started in January and took my first class. All I could do was sit and spin. I couldn't hover or stand, much less change any resistance. I worked on other cardio equipment for two months and came back to spin. I was amazed at how much I could accomplish. I now spin 3 times per week and it's my absolute favorite class. I usually burn at least 600 cals in an hour.
  • AllenTGregory
    AllenTGregory Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weigh 260 and I do spin class once a week. The bikes at my gym say that I burn about 400-450 for an hour of class. But that can't be right because I get on the elliptical for 30 minutes and burn that same amount. I work MUCH harder in spin class than on the elliptical.

I just went to two different websites (Self dot com and Glamour dot com) that had calculators and they say I burn about 1300 calories per class. I had no idea it was that much. Even if it's off, I still burn at least 1000 calories in an hour.

Spin class is awesome. I have flat feet so I probably need to get some insoles that's the only reason I don't do it more. I should probably do 3 classes a week. I think that's something I'm going to shoot for.

Having said all that, go for it. It's worth it.
  • emilyjobson7
    emilyjobson7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great responses in this thread, and I agree, spin is a great workout and anyone interested should give it a try! A few pointers and clarifications:

As said, talk to the instructor first and let them know you are a beginner so they can give you a few pointers. You always, ALWAYS work at your own level. If you have an instructor that is berating you for not working hard enough, or even worse, changing your gears for you (yes, I've seen it), find a new class.

Proper bike set up is ESSENTIAL to prevent knee pain and injuries. Indoor bikes won't be perfectly aligned, but you can get close. Your instructor will know how to set you up, but the rule of thumb is, at the bottom of the pedal stroke (foot flat at 6 o'clock), you should have a 15 - 30 degree bend in your knee. With your foot at 9 (forward, half way down), your knee should be around even with the crank. You can adjust these using the seat up/down and forward/back. One big issue with indoor cycling is that the handlebars are often poorly positioned. Just adjust so you aren't reaching far forward.

If you're at the point of standing, the key is to not put your weight on your handlebars. Move your butt back, feel the seat between your thighs. This is the target zone. Note that this position is not useful for outdoor cycling though (climbing hills outside is done differently, in a different position).

Take the watts on an indoor bike with a grain of salt. I am a certified Kaiser instructor, and when I was teaching, performed multiple FTP's (Functional Threshold Power - watt output testing) sessions on my classes using the Kaiser. I've done them myself on a regular basis. I am now a professional outdoor cyclist (road) and train on a bike trainer with a power meter and my own road bike. My set up now is VASTLY more accurate then an indoor bike and my numbers are completely different - i.e. my true watts are much lower than I was led to believe on the indoor bike, mostly because indoor bikes aren't usually calibrated properly, nor are they looking at all the variables (such as the rider's weight). A PP mentioned holding 200+ watts during a one hour class - up to 250 even. If you are female and doing that, you are cycling at the same level as a low level professional (I did a proper FTP a month ago and my one hour output is 192 watts, and I am a CAT 5 female cyclist;my husband's output was 289 and he's a CAT 3 cyclist - one level below regional pro level). I'm sure you probably aren't pushing that many watts, so please, don't trust the watts on an indoor bike.

To that point, and as mentioned, indoor cycling will not translate to outdoor cycling skills (unless you're on your own road bike on a trainer - even then, not the same thing), so don't depend on it for anything more than fitness and cardio.

For the question on calorie burn, on average, for our 60 - 70 minute classes, my HR averages 170 (peaks around 190) and I burn between 500 and 600 calories. I'm ~150 lbs.

ETA: If you can, get clip in's. Then you're using all the power in your legs rather than just pushing down. Not essential though.
  • chriscovino
    Options
    http://www.indoorcycleinstructor.com/icipro-instructor-training/standing-burns-calories-sitting-indoor-cycling-class/

This is in response to the instructor who said that you get more calorie burn sitting. Research states the opposite. I am a competitive cyclist and spin lover, and you burn more energy standing for sure. All of my training partners minimize standing to conserve energy on our long rides. Regardless, get out there and ride or spin, it's the best thing you can do for yourself. It helped me lose 50 lbs and lower my BP, cholesterol, resting hr, weight, etc...
  • noitavitom
    Options
    I disagree with building your fitness first....yes it is hardddd!! when your a beginner but its a gradual process it will get easier. If anyone is reading this and thinking of trying it .....give it a go!!

I have attended classes before but just invested in my own!!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Spin class is amazing. It's not only a great cardio workout for anyone, it's a great way to increase you cycling speed. If you are regularly spinning in Jan, Feb, March, when the spring and summer come around, you will notice that you bike at a higher speed than it feels like.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!