Juicers Be Aware

Options
2»

Replies

• jessichri
    jessichri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Complex carbs don't equal simple carbs. Complex carbs are in fruits and veggies, simple carbs are in processed foods/sweet food. Complex carbs contain other necessary nutrients like fiber, minerals, and vitamins, and cause a relatively low spike in insulin levels. They take longer to digest, keep you fuller for longer, and help supplement your body functions, especially when working out.

Drink up that juice or shake, it's good for you.

This. And also getting a full complement of fruits and veggies (as its easy to do with juicing) makes your body function more efficiently, specifically your digestive system. This is a great thing. You'll feel awesome. Don't hate on juice. Its wonderful.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I will never beat myself up over sugars and carbs from fruits and veggie; cookies- i would.

This is me too.

When I juice, I save the pulp and add to other things. (apples and similar fruit for oatmeal or even quick bread like zuchini bread, veggies for stew, chile and pasta sauce) I freeze them in ice cube trays and bag them.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Because regardless of where the carbs/sugar come from, they cause spikes in insulin and that is what causes your body to store fat. Even if something is healthy, it doesn't mean it can't cause problems when trying to lose weight.

No.

Excess calories makes you store fat.

I've lost each and every week and consume two meals of fruits each day.
  • darthjen
    darthjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I misread that, my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Carbs aren't so bad so long as it's natural and not added sugar.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Ive read that for each item that you juice, you times the grams of fibre in the item you are juicing by 4 and minus this from the total calories as you are not ingesting the fibre. Thats the formula ive been using when i juice. Read it somwhere in some juicing book.... cant remember exactly which one. So in the end your juice would have ended up more like 185 calories, if this formula is true ;)
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ive read that for each item that you juice, you times the grams of fibre in the item you are juicing by 4 and minus this from the total calories as you are not ingesting the fibre. Thats the formula ive been using when i juice. Read it somwhere in some juicing book.... cant remember exactly which one. So in the end your juice would have ended up more like 185 calories, if this formula is true ;)

. Fiber is unable to be digested and so passes through your system and yes, each gram of fiber is equal to 4 calories. But, if you are juicing and removing them you aren't getting the full benefit. Fiber keeps you feeling full longer and aids in the passages of waste.
  • tolly_06
    tolly_06 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't really get juicing. All of the things you listed are delicious on their own - except the lemon and ginger which I season with all the time. Why would you go to the trouble of juicing it when you could just wash and eat? I don't worry about the sugar - I would much rather get my carbs from fruits and veggies instead of processed junk!

The reason I juice is because I grew up not eating vegetables and fruits and have struggled for years to consistently incorporate them into my diet. Its a good way for me to start my day eating more fruits and vegetables. I actually really like the juice and don't mind drinking it.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have a nutribullet as of 2 days ago.. It processes everything into the juice.. so I have nothing extracted from the fruit/veggies, seeds, stems, pulp, peels.. if it goes in, it stays in.. so I'm sure what i logged today is wrong.. probably why i'm so full right now..

thinking I need to just log the entire fruit/veggies as if i ate it raw.. guess I'll have a ton more recipes to create.. since I also have no mastered the art of 1 serving per recipe yet lol.

i dont' care about the carbs/sugar from fruits and veggies.. they are healthy natural and meant to be eaten by us. It's the added ones that you need to watch out for.
  • epros39
    epros39 Posts: 17
    Options
    was referring to the natural sugars in fruit compared to who knows what found in packaged snacks.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    what about smoothies? you say you don't like vegetables on their own, but what about incorporating more than just the veggies? a fantastic smoothie i used to make was:

1/2 banana
    1/2 cup berries (this varried by what was stored in my freezer)
    2 - 3 cups spinach
    1 medium zucchini
    1/4 cup skim milk

keep in mind, this was prior to my low carb days, but this devided between 2 people was a grand, spanking 92 cal, 19g carb, 6g fiber, 0 fat, 68g sodium. you still get all the pulpy goodness and if you freeze the banana and the berries beforehand, it has a thicker consistency. the fruit masks the veggies, so it's easier to transition into eating them on their own. :)

still, good luck on juicing. :)
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options

. Fiber is unable to be digested and so passes through your system and yes, each gram of fiber is equal to 4 calories. But, if you are juicing and removing them you aren't getting the full benefit. Fiber keeps you feeling full longer and aids in the passages of waste.

Right. but the topic of the thread isnt to juice or not to juice. Its was more about the calories found within said juice.