Newbie on the LCHF diet.

Options
And I definitely would love to have more friends to cheer me on and share recipes and encouragement with. I'm Insulin resistant/PCOS and my doctor ordered me to eat this way. I'm trying it since I've tried every other diet out there.
Nice to meet you!

Replies

• Amy11108
    Amy11108 Posts: 74
    Options
    What is that diet?
  • llhackney1
    Options
    Hi, I have PCOS too but with and underactive thyroid. I have been dabbling with the Paleo diet but although I got good results, it's difficult to stick to. I find that it's easier to cut out as much gluten as possible and do LCHF, my skin has really cleared up but losing weight is slow as usual with me. How are you geting on with it?
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    What is that diet?

Low Carb High Fat
  • Amy11108
    Amy11108 Posts: 74
    Options
    What is that diet?

Low Carb High Fat

Oh thanks!
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Looks just like Atkins to me....it works, but keep in mind it cant be long term..
  • hayleysuel
    hayleysuel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am on a low carb diet right now too! I have been on it for all of March & April & have lost 9lbs so far :)

My favorite recipe has been twice baked cauliflower! You boil cauliflower until it's soft & mash with cream cheese, sour cream. chives, shredded cheese, bacon bits, etc. & bake at 350 for 30 minutes topped with more cheese, bacon & onion! It's my go-to low carb "comfort food". I have an entire Pinterest board of yummy low carb recipes!

http://pinterest.com/hayleysuel/march-meltdown/

Good luck! I hope you enjoy LCHF! :)
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm doing LCHF to help keep my blood sugar down.

I like to have lettuce wraps with ground meat, onions, tomatoes, hot peppers, cheese and a little mayo.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    well, idk about the high fat part, but low carb...some AMAZING recipes on 24hourlowcarbdiner.com she is an absolute kitchen wizard, and my inspiration. :-)
  • DrakeMorse
    DrakeMorse Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am on a low carb diet right now too! I have been on it for all of March & April & have lost 9lbs so far :)

My favorite recipe has been twice baked cauliflower! You boil cauliflower until it's soft & mash with cream cheese, sour cream. chives, shredded cheese, bacon bits, etc. & bake at 350 for 30 minutes topped with more cheese, bacon & onion! It's my go-to low carb "comfort food". I have an entire Pinterest board of yummy low carb recipes!

http://pinterest.com/hayleysuel/march-meltdown/

Good luck! I hope you enjoy LCHF! :)

delicious! congrats on the 9 lost
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I have been LCHF since March 8th and I've lost 13lbs. A lot was water in the first week but I find I lose a steady 1.5/week now that I"m in the swing of things. I eat about 65% of my calories from fat (animal, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts) and I eat about 25-30% in protein and 5-10% in carbs from veggies and fruits. Sometimes my macros are off a bit but that's what I aim for. Best way to control cravings ever. I think you'll love it! Friend me if you like :)
  • LustyLowCarb
    LustyLowCarb Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • reneah2013
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have PCOS/Insulin Resistance and metabolic syndrome. I have fought with my weight all my life. The only diet that ever worked for me was Atkins. I lost 60lbs. 20 of it in 14 days. After 12 years I have put it back on. I have going to see a trainer twice a week and have gained 2lbs, He told me not eat over 150 carbs a day and only complex carbs after 2pm. I hate all the confusion of dieting, but I am tired of being 205lbs too.I hope we will get there!! Good luck!!
  • LustyLowCarb
    Options
    Looks just like Atkins to me....it works, but keep in mind it cant be long term..

I am on my third year of LCHF. It is my way of eating and I never plan on eating any other way. Can you explain why it can't be long term? Thanks!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

I am on my third year of LCHF. It is my way of eating and I never plan on eating any other way. Can you explain why it can't be long term? Thanks!

Because that's what someone else on MFP said. If it's repeated often enough people will believe it's true lol
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options

It can be long term.

Of course, not the induction phase part of Atkins. I've been on less than 100g carbs and 45% fats for a year and a half. It works, I'm happy, I'm maintaining.
  • LustyLowCarb
    Options

Because that's what someone else on MFP said. If it's repeated often enough people will believe it's true lol

Got it! :laugh:
  • amyvedes
    amyvedes Posts: 5
    Options
    It is similar to atkins except you eat more fat than protein and carbs. The reason being if you consume too much protein it turns to sugar. Glucogeonesis. And it can be long term. The food you eat is real food. Meats, veggies, berries. Cutting out sugar and carbs will reduce inflammation and will lead to your body using fat as fuel instead of carbs. Its been over a year for me and my kids. :)
  • amyvedes
    amyvedes Posts: 5
    Options
    Great job!!
  • missmickeys
    missmickeys Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for about a week now and lost 4 lbs out the gate. I'm pretty happy and its the only time in my life while trying to diet that I haven't been starving. I used to go home and binge eat every few days because I was so hungry. Now I'm good. I feel better and for the first time in my life. I'm able to wake up and actually get moving when my alarm goes off. I'll never stop eating this way. I think it should be a lifestyle change.
    :happy:
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    The only time I see a change in my weight is when I cut carbs between 35-75.
    I have many health issues that require this. I also try to eat healthy fats with the lower carbs. I fell off the low carb wagon for about a month out of 345 days on MFP.

i admit I am struggling to eat low carb again after nearly a year of depriving myself of my favorite white carbs and gluten. The problem for me is not in staying under calorie goal, instead it is lowering the carbs.

I also kicked the gluten along with high carb, gluten,sugar addiction at the same time on Atkins and it took me 1 month of induction to do it. I fell off the lCHF wagon when I started allowing myself to eat 100 carbs. For me high carb foods cause me to crave more carbs and along with processed food equals battle to keep calories to under goal because of hunger. I battle severe low blood sugar,(Hypoglycima) hypothyroid, Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia and PCOS, I find eating low carb helps control my appetite and the blood sugar.

I do allow myself fruit and all vegetables except white potatoes I try to eat rarely.