Should I switch to almond milk?

Options
I drink so much milk each day, 3 cups to be exact. It's fat free and I watch my calories so I'm not concerned about that but isn't milk something that should be consumed in moderation?? Could it be negatively affecting my digestive system etc? I was thinking about making a switch to almond milk but concerned about taste and cost.

Are you there other options that taste almost similar to cows milk?

Any one out there with experience on the different types of non dairy milk??

Replies

• darthjen
    darthjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Chocolate almond milk is soooooo goooood
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    if dairy doesn't cause you problems, there's no reason to switch. and none of the other options really taste like cows milk.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i was a HUGE milk drinker before I started paying attention to my nutrition. I could polish off a gallon of 2% a week. Anywho I basically never drink cow's milk anymore and stick to water when I eat my meals. I'm surprised I have adjusted so well actually. I use almond milk for protein shakes, cereal, cooking, etc. I still eat a lot of dairy like cottage cheese. I like unsweetened almond milk but it was an acquired taste, I accidentally bought the sweetened kind this week and could barely choke it down. lol I'm not loyal to one particular brand either. Just give it a try in cereal or something, no reason to go cold turkey on milk if it doesn't bother you.
  • vkw1
    vkw1 Posts: 88
    Options
    I bought it to try- yuck- wont be trying it again
  • loosesealbluth
    loosesealbluth Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't think, unless drinking milk is causing you problems, that you need to switch. I made the switch to almond milk because i use it in my oatmeal every morning and I'm willing to sacrifice 30 calories for added flavor, but not 90. When I exclusively drank skim milk, it was never on a daily basis, so it tended to spoil before I finished it, even when I only bought half a gallon! Almond milk lasts way longer, but considering you drink milk regularly, that wouldn't even be a concern of yours. Almond milk also tastes delicious (the sweetened vanilla is 90 calories per cup and tastes better than skim milk, imo)!

Also, I'm pretty sure milk is much, much more reasonably priced than almond milk – so there's that to consider. Some people also argue that regular milk is better since its calcium etc. is natural. They have to add it to almond milk. I'm not sure if the affects how our bodies absorb it?? Maybe someone can confirm or deny.
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Well I've read to only go the unsweetened kind for health reasons, less sugar etc. My milk consumption is in my protein shakes and oatmeal so hopefully it doesn't taste awful! :l
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't think, unless drinking milk is causing you problems, that you need to switch. I made the switch to almond milk because i use it in my oatmeal every morning and I'm willing to sacrifice 30 calories for added flavor, but not 90. When I exclusively drank skim milk, it was never on a daily basis, so it tended to spoil before I finished it, even when I only bought half a gallon! Almond milk lasts way longer, but considering you drink milk regularly, that wouldn't even be a concern of yours. Almond milk also tastes delicious (the sweetened vanilla is 90 calories per cup and tastes better than skim milk, imo)!

Also, I'm pretty sure milk is much, much more reasonably priced than almond milk – so there's that to consider. Some people also argue that regular milk is better since its calcium etc. is natural. They have to add it to almond milk. I'm not sure if the affects how our bodies absorb it?? Maybe someone can confirm or deny.

Thanks! Maybe I will go the sweetened vanilla route first rather than unsweetened as taste is a big concern for me!
  • cynthiadmail
    cynthiadmail Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was a milk drinker myself only fat free milk I might have one or two cups a week now but I usually use almond milk unsweetened in my smoothies that i have once a day. Trying to drink as much water as I can each day lead me to just cutting out the milk.
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think unless you already know it is the milk that is your kryptonite then you should keep going with it or mix and match with Almond milk if you want different flavors. I drink skim and I think you said you do too. There is a great deal of sugar in the good tasting ones.
  • yokumsm
    yokumsm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I have never been a big milk drinker due to allergies so the transition was not that big for me. It does not taste the same though. I am not sure I would want to drink a glass of almond milk straight. It is really good in cereal (especially anything nutty) and oatmeal. I also mix with Ovaltine for hot chocolate almost every night to stop the after dinner munchies.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    unless you are allergic to dairy or lactose I would stick with regular milk, I'm lactose intolerant and there is NOTHING that tastes like cow's milk :( Plus when you switch to almond/rice/coconut milk, you lose all the protein you are getting from regular milk.
  • juliasays77
    juliasays77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have always been a big milk drinker. I decided to try almond milk as a way to cut calories, plus it has more calcium than cow's milk. I was hooked from the first cup- but I didn't expect it to taste like cow's milk, and it doesn't. I am used to skim milk and almond milk is so much creamier, but with fewer calories. More fat, but I haven't really had any problems staying within my fat limit. I really like it in my coffee and cereal. I did still cut way back on my overall milk consumption, though.

I use the unsweetened original flavor, and prefer Blue Diamond brand over Silk, but obviously that will be different for everyone.
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk but it doesn't really compare to the real thing. I think it has a completely different flavor plus it's quite watery. I'm not fond of the sweetened or flavored kinds and just drink unsweetened plain.
    I think it's worth a try but like others have said, if cow's milk doesn't cause you problems and you enjoy it, there's no reason to switch.