Craving beef??

2»

Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    I eat a little beef steak mince most days in some recipe or another. I love it. Not had fillet steak for ages! Now I've got a craving! Lol. An expensive one at that! I say just go with it, have some! X
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Mmmm....steak. I can't remember last time had a good steak dinner. This is a great reminder I need to take care of that soon! haha

And if your craving it...then eat it.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    I don't even like red meat, but I find myself craving it sometimes. I have an iron deficiency, and I usually attribute it to that.

Weird fact: the desire to chew on ice also is a side effect of anemia.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    No joke, I thought this said "Craving beer" at first, to which I thought me too!

But then I realized it said beef. While occasionally I'm really in the mood for a juicy steak (like this past weekend---so I ate one), I don't typically crave beef. But some lean beef tenderloin is perfectly ok to eat as you're craving it! Just like anything else, watch your portion size and enjoy :)
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Eat some beef!! I crave protein a lot too when I work out. You probably need it. Just get leaner cuts/grades and it'll work. If you think you are iron deficient, eat a handful of raisins!
  • IrishMinx32
    IrishMinx32 Posts: 77 Member
    it sounds like your body is asking for protein? My body does that after my monthy. I use a protein powder during my monthy and after and it makes me feel better.
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    I have been told that it is a lack of iron. I don't know if that is totally correct, but if I crave beef I eat it.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    I think that almost all cravings are the result of your body asking for a particular type of nutrient. In the cases of things like chocolate (often magnesium, I'm told) and sweets, your body may not be asking for the right way to get the nutrients, but it's asking for them. In the case of beef, it could be a lot of things but if you're craving it, eat some. I had a time about a year or a year and a half ago when I was craving cheese and peanut butter sandwiches. I had no idea why, I'd always thought it was gross before, but I ate them for lunch for about two weeks and never had the craving again. Then I realized that they shared many of the same amino acids, so maybe my body was just asking for those because I had seriously decreased my meat intake. If you want the beef, have the beef. You're never, ever trying to outsmart your body. You're trying to work with it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I think that almost all cravings are the result of your body asking for a particular type of nutrient.

A lot of people I know say that. I think it's possible that is true occasionally, but not usually. It would not explain cravings for things like beer, Cheetos, cake, etc. If we were craving nutirtion it makes more sense that we'd only crave healthy foods.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    I think that almost all cravings are the result of your body asking for a particular type of nutrient.

A lot of people I know say that. I think it's possible that is true occasionally, but not usually. It would not explain cravings for things like beer, Cheetos, cake, etc. If we were craving nutirtion it makes more sense that we'd only crave healthy foods.

I think those are more likely a symptom of dependency, or habit, rather than need.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Yummm I love me a good steak!!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    I don't even like red meat, but I find myself craving it sometimes. I have an iron deficiency, and I usually attribute it to that.

Weird fact: the desire to chew on ice also is a side effect of anemia.

This is very interesting! My ice chewing habit went away not long after my hysterectomy, which cured my anemia.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member

I think those are more likely a symptom of dependency, or habit, rather than need.

Yeah, or more specifically like there's something in it that you need (who knows what), and your body asks for it but because you have a habit of having it, your body thinks that's what it wants. Like the chocolate example.
  • kmf91604
    kmf91604 Posts: 12 Member
    I haven't eaten beef in 25 years. I'm 44. I have only eaten chicken turkey or fish but just had no desire for beef. Through the years my iron has been giving me issues. Tonight is strange. I am eating chicken and although it is good, I am seriously undeniably craving huge hamburger. (No bread, gluten free). I don't get it. It's not my TOM. Im not preg. Why the extreme craving? So should I just give in?