safranita Posts: 48 Member
Baked Kale Chips
photo: http://www.eatingrules.com/2010/08/baked-kale-chips/

Ingredients
2 cups kale leaves
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
several pinches sea salt

Instructions
1. Wash and dry the kale. Tear or cut the leaves into pieces, cutting out the tough center stem.
2. Toss the leaves with the olive oil, and then sprinkle on a few pinches of sea salt.
3. Lay the leaves on a cookie sheet (see pic below) and bake at 350°F for about 10 minutes. Careful, though: If you bake them too briefly they won’t get crispy, but go too long and they’ll be burned. Check them at 9 minutes, and if they’re not crispy yet, give them a couple more minutes and check again. You may need to pull some out sooner than others.
4. enjoy!

Replies

• Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the taste of kale but I wanted to eat it because of its nutritional benefits.

Made these and they were good. Tasted surprisingly like regular potato chips...
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    They're yummy!! Remind me of the crispy seaweed you get from Chinese shops....
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Kale, but this looks like a good start. Thanks!
  • safranita
    Options
    I can't stand the taste of kale but I wanted to eat it because of its nutritional benefits.

Made these and they were good. Tasted surprisingly like regular potato chips...

That's great news. Thanks!
  • safranita
    Options
    They're yummy!! Remind me of the crispy seaweed you get from Chinese shops....

I agree that it tastes like the crsipy seaweed! Both are very healthy.
  • safranita
    Options
    I've never tried Kale, but this looks like a good start. Thanks!

Please share when you make and taste this.. The salt is such a treat for me that I look forward to them - really a good substitute for my fav potato chips.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I make mine without the olive oil for even fewer calories and longer shelf life:

Wash the Kale, while still wet sprinkle with spices (I like a pinch of coarse salt, and then a heavy dose of garlic powder and cayenne pepper), and spread on a "Silpat" silicon baking sheet. Pop in the oven at 250 until dried and crispy!
  • swagnificent3
    swagnificent3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist made that exact same recipe a couple of weeks ago and I loved it! I plan to make it for my wife sometime this week as she loves kale.
  • MarshaMole
    MarshaMole Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mnm424
    mnm424 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    yay :happy: something easy and yummy
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. I want to find more ways to add kale to my diet.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Kale is awesome! At first I didn't think I'd like it and then I made the chips....they were great! then I learned to saute it, that was great too!

It really pays to experiment and not give up and dive head first into a bag of Doritos!! Am I right!?!? :bigsmile:

Oh! ........p.s. use the Himalayan Sea Salt - 30 trace minerals and iron - hey! makes a difference!!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with kale chips. I use just a quick spritz of olive oil spray (way fewer calories) and lots of garlic powder (not garlic salt) and cayenne. They are DELICIOUS and so light on calories. I can eat a ton without feeling bad about it or caving to my salty-snack cravings.
  • safranita
    Options
    I make mine without the olive oil for even fewer calories and longer shelf life:

Wash the Kale, while still wet sprinkle with spices (I like a pinch of coarse salt, and then a heavy dose of garlic powder and cayenne pepper), and spread on a "Silpat" silicon baking sheet. Pop in the oven at 250 until dried and crispy!

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a great alternative.
  • safranita
    Options
    My nutritionist made that exact same recipe a couple of weeks ago and I loved it! I plan to make it for my wife sometime this week as she loves kale.

Please share when you do make them!
  • safranita
    Options
    bump

please forgive my ignorance but a lot of people write "bump" and I'm not sure what it means! :embarassed:
  • safranita
    Options
    yay :happy: something easy and yummy

it really is. And I love your avi picture. Talk about inspiration!
  • safranita
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. I want to find more ways to add kale to my diet.

Tasty AND easy AND healthy AND low cal.. what more could we want?!
  • FitToBeKim
    FitToBeKim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    These sound delicious !
    I will be trying this, this week !

Thanks so much !
  • janeensan
    janeensan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    omg--I LOVE kale chips!!