Red Meat (doesn't matter if lean) clogs arteries

Options
j4nash
j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
Interesting. States that bacteria promotes clogged arteries.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/258744.php

Replies

• My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Then why is my cholesterol normal?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Then why is my cholesterol normal?

Singularities.
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This has been online and in the news lately I was wondering this myself. But like all new reports I'd like to see the peer review and more research. Thanks for posting.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    This has been online and in the news lately I was wondering this myself. But like all new reports I'd like to see the peer review and more research. Thanks for posting.

Reaffirms the "in moderation" statement. I thought it was interesting, especially since l-carnintine is found in energy drinks.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I love red meat so I'll just go stick my head in the sand.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    what, you tryin to live forever?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    what, you tryin to live forever?

you know I am baby! :love:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,715 Member
    Options
    Good read. I do believe that it's directly related to the amount of L-carnitine consumed since L-carnitine isn't only in meat.
    Looking to see more research on it. I don't eat as much meat as I used to when I competed, which is probably why I haven't experienced any cholesterol issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    red meat is heaven on earth! wish i could have it everyday!
  • kathyclark4
    Options
    My grandmother ate red meat almost everyday until she died.............at 86! She even ate the fat! Yuck!!! However, I am a nurse and I do believe we have to have it in moderation. I also believe it has a lot to do with where the meat comes from. We grew up on
    beef that had been farm raised....grain fed and grazing in the field. No growth hormones, no pesticides, and no artificial crap in their
    feed. Now they have meat like this in the grocery, but its called organic and cost a bit more than the rest. :)
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    You left out the part about what in the red meat the researches claim are increasing health risks. In this article they are pointing the finger at L-carnitine, which is being converted into TMAO (a metabolite already suspected of helping to clog up arteries). And it says suspected, not confirmed. So I guess we are just speculating here? :laugh:

L-carnitine is an ingredient in everything from energy drinks to asparagus and brussels sprouts. Granted, the amount is highest in fatty red meat, however you can also buy it as a stand alone supplement over the counter at any pharmacy. What the article also fails to disclose is whether or not that the participants of the study ate corporate farming's hormone-laden fatty meats or grass fed non-hormone injected beef.

There are also several other uses of L-carnitine including the treatment of ADHD.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/11-super-side-effects-from-taking-l-carnitine.html

The OP title cracks me up. BUT, after reading the article, thats pretty much what the article focuses on and I can see why he posted it like that. Whats bull$h|t is at the end of the article where it says "In 2012, researchers from the Harvard School of Public Health reporting in Archives of Internal Medicine said people who switched even just some of their regular red meat consumption to another healthier source of protein such as fish, poultry, legumes, nuts, low fat dairy and whole grains, could reduce their risk of premature death."

What they suggest supplementing red meat with, " fish, poultry, legumes, nuts, low fat dairy" all contain L-carnitine. So switching from one food that contains L-carnitine to others that contain L-carnitine will lower risk of premature death? Riiiiiiiiiiiight. :laugh:
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    What they suggest supplementing red meat with, " fish, poultry, legumes, nuts, low fat dairy" all contain L-carnitine. So switching from one food that contains L-carnitine to others that contain L-carnitine will lower risk of premature death? Riiiiiiiiiiiight. :laugh:

Well it will if it's dose dependant and white meats are significantly lower in the molecule, which they are.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    people have been eating red meat for thousands of years and we seem to still be living longer, most definately wouldn't stop me eating red meat, or worry while i'm eating it

clogging of arteries may very well be a valid point or conclusion, but these days we're eating more stuff that suposedly unclogs them so we should be fine... if not the average age of death for a man being 77 in england, hell... if i live that long i'll be happy
  • freedomischaos
    freedomischaos Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My grandmother ate red meat almost everyday until she died.............at 86! She even ate the fat! Yuck!!! However, I am a nurse and I do believe we have to have it in moderation. I also believe it has a lot to do with where the meat comes from. We grew up on
    beef that had been farm raised....grain fed and grazing in the field. No growth hormones, no pesticides, and no artificial crap in their
    feed. Now they have meat like this in the grocery, but its called organic and cost a bit more than the rest. :)

Organic doesn't mean grass-fed, so make sure you look for the label that says "grass-fed" as well.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Well of course, if they posted it on the web it must be true. Everyone knows doctors have it all figured out...eggs are bad for you, wait, no, eggs are a good thing...fat is bad, but wait, your body needs some fats to function properly. Red meat is a death sentence...so, I guess it's time to sell the ranch...thanks for the heads up.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    yeah thats thats ok, I need the energy from red meat to fight off the clogged arteries
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mg9gr85oBg1rxgv80o1_250.gif
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I feel that research results should not be made available to the public until it has been thoroughly peer reviewed.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    So this is what a thread looks like before it's been hijacked/derailed by the infiniquote brigade.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    people have been eating red meat for thousands of years and we seem to still be living longer, most definately wouldn't stop me eating red meat, or worry while i'm eating it

clogging of arteries may very well be a valid point or conclusion, but these days we're eating more stuff that suposedly unclogs them so we should be fine... if not the average age of death for a man being 77 in england, hell... if i live that long i'll be happy

We tend to live longer now due to advancement in medical treatments. Because someone is alive at 85 doesn't mean they're healthy (though of course there are some perfectly healthy 100-year-olds). A lot of the elderly are on all sorts of medication that's keeping them alive. Or people with clogged arteries have had operations and are on blood thinners, people with diabetes are on insulin, etc. In the past, you'd live as long as your body could with minimal interference from technology. Now we can keep people alive a hell of a lot longer, some with quality of life...some without.