eating breakfast

Options
Hi all

The general wisdom is that you should eat breakfast. If I do eat breakfast, I find I am ravenous all day and eat over my allowance for the day. So generally now I don't eat until mid morning (10.30ish). I usually only have a latte (with light soy milk) in the morning and that seems to keep me going for a while.

What do you think? Should I be eating breakfast?
Thanks

Replies

• JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem with breakfast, and I was even eating oats which everyone (including my mother of course) says is amazing for keeping you full.

If you look at my diary you can see my breakfast. High protein is how I tackled the problem, and I always aim for at least 30g protein at breakfast these days. I can stay full for almost 4 hours now, where as within 30 mins I was itching for something to eat before.

Give it a try and remember that everyone is different!
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    no need to eat breakfast just to eat breakfast. i prefer to save the bulk of my calories for later in the day.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Should I be eating breakfast?

Breakfast is no different than any other meal.

Eat it if you're hungry.

Don't eat it if you're not.
  • mayhr3
    mayhr3 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi,

I have a problem with eating in the morning, found myslef feeling the same at mid-morning.
    I now eat porridge with semi-skimmed milk and either sweetner or a little strawberry jam just to give me a nicer taste.

Hope that helps.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    Your body can't tell time so it doesn't really matter when you eat, so long as you eat. With that said, your first meal of the day is always breakfast technically because you're breaking the fast from the prior night. If you get up & wait a few hours to eat, I think its perfectly fine. I always wake up, do my workout, and then eat a little while after ... I've had no problems thus far. I can't exercise if I've ate in the recent hours and the thought of food when I first wake up makes me sick to my stomach. I wouldn't worry much about it.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating breakfast recently when I read that it's not true that it's important to eat it. Do what suits you best! Many people on here I have seen say they save their calories for later in the day when they would enjoy eating them more. You still eat the same amount of calories over the day just not as spread out. It's an old myth you should have it.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating breakfast recently when I read that it's not true that it's important to eat it. Do what suits you best! Many people on here I have seen say they save their calories for later in the day when they would enjoy eating them more. You still eat the same amount of calories over the day just not as spread out. It's an old myth you should have it.

Same here, not eaten breakfast for a while. If you are not hungry just skip it until lunch time and save the calories.

You will see a lot of posts about "kick starting metabolism" but as another poster says, your body does not have clock
  • kell2116
    kell2116 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you're going to do each morning. If you know you're going to be very physically active for an extended period of time and therefore will need food beforehand to maintain your energy levels, then it would make sense to eat breakfast but if you're just going to be sitting at a desk all morning, you may as well save up the calories for later. I always have something to eat in the morning but not immediately on waking up, and I'm trying to make my breakfasts as low-calorie as possible.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The only thing that breakfast is important for is to stop you from eating junk half way through the morning. If you just move your healthy breakfast to the time you would otherwise start eating junk that's fine.
  • RyanneRose
    RyanneRose Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Anywhere between 8am and 11 I'll generally have a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee. I never used to have breakfast, but if I don't have it I'll snack mindlessly and overeat. I've noticed that recently. That's me, though.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I think the important thing to focus on is your Macro intake, ie., getting a carb/ fat/ protein balance of roughly 40/30/30 %

when and how you eat them is pretty irrelevant, sometimes I eat porridge for dinner!

the general rules of eating at TDEE - 20% & never letting yourself get hungry are core to this all, other than that we're all individuals so structure your eating day in a way that suits you
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    The only thing that breakfast is important for is to stop you from eating junk half way through the morning. If you just move your healthy breakfast to the time you would otherwise start eating junk that's fine.

This!
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I EAT A HIGH PROTEIN BREAKFAST
  • Angelikajohnston
    Options
    A great breakfast can assist give you the vigor you need to face the day. There is some proof to prescribe that consuming breakfast can assist individuals control their weight.
  • AshatanViz
    AshatanViz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    To all the people saying your body cannot tell time: Your body DOES have a clock. Very much so. Ever heard of circadian rhythms? They determine when you release hormones/neurotransmitters, when you get hungry, when you get tired (on a daily basis), and when you get your period (on a monthly basis, for example). There's no doubt that the body has a way of telling time.

For me at least, breakfast is important since I go to class and work out in the mornings, and if I'm running on low blood sugar, I can't perform my best in the gym or at school.
  • brit_ks_89
    Options

This!

agree
  • brit_ks_89
    Options
    To all the people saying your body cannot tell time: Your body DOES have a clock. Very much so. Ever heard of circadian rhythms? They determine when you release hormones/neurotransmitters, when you get hungry, when you get tired (on a daily basis), and when you get your period (on a monthly basis, for example). There's no doubt that the body has a way of telling time.

For me at least, breakfast is important since I go to class and work out in the mornings, and if I'm running on low blood sugar, I can't perform my best in the gym or at school.

SAME WAY!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I like a big breakfast and a mid-morning snack and a big lunch, but we all have our preferences. To satisfy me breakfast has to be around 600kcal
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I eat brekkie about 50 percent of the time. Moreso, during the week days...not so much on weekends. However, it depends on how you feel and your fitness/ nutritional goals. :smile:
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same as you, so i don't bother. Each to their own :)