gained 4lbs in a day?

Options
According to my scale I weighed 209 on Sunday 4.7. This is correct, I have lost 8lbs since the start of mfp on 3.25. Now this morning, it says I weigh 213. I find this hard to belive as I have stayed under my calorie intake for the day and have exercised. Any idea why this would happen? I weigh myself in the AM before eating. Thanks

Replies

• kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Have you started a new work out? Could be retaining water to help repair your muscles
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    More than likely, you haven't gained (or lost, for that matter), anything in day. The amount of water your body holds fluctuates daily, and a fluctuation of ~5lbs daily is pretty normal.

Don't worry about day-to-day changes, pay attention to long term trends.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Water.
  • melly0224
    melly0224 Posts: 15
    Options
    Don't obsess over the scale. There's no way unless you consumed a ton of calories that you can possibly gain that much overnight. It's water. Throw the scale away.
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    All kinds of things can affect your daily weight loss. Try not to weigh yourself every day.. I know it's difficult, but if you are staying on track then the scale will move.
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Its must be water weight...Did you check Sodium levels of the food you had? Did you start a new exercise?
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It's water retention. Either from a higher salt intake, needing a bowel movement, or your muscles retaining water so they can heal. Keep doing what you are doing, drink more water and see where you are in 2 or 3 weeks.
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    TMI, but if my digestion gets a little bit slow (or stopped altogether) I find the scale starts creeping up a bit.
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Just think of the sodium intake that will retain water in your body, now 4lbs is only about 2 litres of water, if your training and drinking lots its not unsusual to have fluctuations of 10lbs per day in your body.

try wieghing yourself once a week or 2 weeks if you can, i know its tempting just to jump on the scales every morning but it will demotivate you!

also, are you keeping measurements? particularl neck, hips and navel, that way if youve lost inches but not weight you can rest assured that your body is burning fat and building muscle.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Water.
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    LOL. Sorry I don't mean to laugh but I just weighed in yesterday and again today and YUP 4LBS overnight. Seeing the number it the scales can freak us out but I had a very salty meal last night(I didn't have much choice); I went back to the gym after a week(was sick) so a combination of both the salty meal and exercising has caused my body to retain quiet a bit of water. Don't worry in a couple of days you'll be back to your normal weight; try to drink more water that will help get rid of the excess.

Cheers
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and regularly see fluctuations of 2-4lbs, it's not unusual :-)
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    New workout will mean water weight and I looked at your diary for the last week or so. I see several days where sodium was high so that could be a contributing factor too. In any case, I'm confident this is water weight. Give it time and watch the sodium. No worries.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    two things come to mind: water and sodium
    drink more water, eat foods with less sodium.
    oh and be consistent with your weigh in time/day. only weigh once a week!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    It's water! That or you have a four lb poop to look forward to.
  • jdk124
    jdk124 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for all your feedback. Driving in to work I was thinking WTF but now I am at ease with all of your responses.
  • jdk124
    jdk124 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's water! That or you have a four lb poop to look forward to.

That wouldn't suprise me!