I Need Some New Breakfast Ideas!

Options
annamc18
annamc18 Posts: 198 Member
Helllloooooooooooooo!!!

So I'm the type of person who likes to eat something 'warm' for breakfast - hell, I work for a Chocolate company who keeps it like in the 60's MAX all year round, so I want something warm!

For the longest time I've found it pretty easy to grab a pack of grits & some cheese & call it my breakfast. Keeps me full for a few hours, so I'm good!

I'm starting to get tired of grits though, and lots of other easy 'warm' breakfast stuff is either too high calorie or just too sugary like a lot of those oatmeal packets (and those get REAL old REAL fast, too)

So, does anyone else have some easy breakfast ideas for me? I hardly ever am able to get up early enough to cook stuff, so that's not really an option.

Ok - GO! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

Replies

• Scudder76
    Scudder76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use a race cooker to make steal cut, or 'irish' oatmeal. Its the best oatmeal, but takes a long time to cook. Witht he rice cooker, I can set it the night before and it's ready when I wake up. Then dress it with fresh or dried fruit, and maybe some chopped nuts.

I've also just begun experimenting with these: http://coleensrecipes.blogspot.com/2012/02/easy-baked-mini-omelets.html
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My normal breakfast is rolled oats made with water, a apple 1/2 sliced thin and incorporated with oatmeal, cinnamon in the oatmeal for flavor, the other half of the apple for straight eating, and a cup of green tea. Total calories about 176
  • jwoods31822
    jwoods31822 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have done the grits for breakfast but tired of that quick, I have started up on oatmeal. I go to Wal-Mart or Kroger and get their brand of oatmeal. They have different flavors and I enjoy mixing up packs to try different concoctions.
  • erinpickles
    erinpickles Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I get the same way during colder months, can't really take eating cold Greek yogurt. I started toasting whole wheat bread and spreading almond butter or peanut butter on it. Quick to make, warm and kept me full til lunchtime.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, grits!

Have you tried vegetable soup?
    Or string cheese rolled up in a whole wheat tortilla, zapped for a few seconds in the microwave?
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever am able to get up early enough to cook stuff, so that's not really an option.

Well then guess what - grits it is...

I get up an extra half-hour early every morning so I can make myself a quick omelette with diced ham, some black olives and cheese. Takes 20 minutes from empty skillet to empty plate.
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    There are a lot of varieties of instant oatmeal. That would give you a different choice daily. You can also make that and add dried cranberries, cherries or blueberries to them, for a little variety. I also like to have egg whites, some chopped apple, cinnamon and a little sweetner. You can throw them all together and microwave it for a minute. If it isn't done yet, mix up a little and put in for 30 seconds more. I also like to have egg whites, a little cheese and maybe some turkey pepperoni for a little "omlette".
  • kmburns3
    kmburns3 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Often I do a big thing of crockpot oatmeal. I'll cook it all night Sunday and have it Monday morning. Then I package it into single servings and warm it up in the microwave every morning the rest of the week with a touch of milk. Here is a recipe for one of my favorites - her cherry almond is really good too!
    http://www.theyummylife.com/Slow_Cooker_Apple_Cinnamon_Oatmeal
  • jamjo93
    jamjo93 Posts: 6
    Options
    Oats are great! But for some people they are a acquired taste and hard to enjoy. How about eggs, beans or pancakes?
  • annamc18
    Options
    Great ideas, everyone - thanks!

I think I just need to get my butt up earlier and try to eat something at the house before I get to work.

I LOVE toast with peanut butter (...and with banana's is pretty amazing too) but the company I work for is Peanut Free, so I can't have peanut butter or any kind of tree nut in the facility; otherwise, I'd have a lot more options to work with here at the office in the morning lol

If anyone else feels like posting, I'm still open to suggestions!
  • Jamiewoodle
    Jamiewoodle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I like to make breakfast muffings on Sunday to last us the week. We beat about 18 eggs in a large bowl (you could even sub liquid egg whites for some of the eggs to reduce calories) and add cooked crisp and crumbled bacon pieces or turkey pepperoni or cooked ground breakfast turkey sausage and some veggies. Then pour into sprayed or greesed muffin tin, add a little shredded cheese to the top of each and cook for about 20-30 min on 350. When cooled, we place two in a ziplock sandwich bags or a tupperwares and so we can just grab and go through out the week :)
  • xxowenscharxx
    xxowenscharxx Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a soft boiled egg (dippy egg) with a slice of toast - boiled for 4 mins so normally do it whilst I'm just at the end of getting ready for the day.. great for the protein!
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs on toast. Doesn't take long and is delicious.

Also, how about making a quiche or some mini crustless-quiches and then warming in the microwave in the morning?

Also beans on toast. Nom.

Or a big tortilla, the Spanish kind with loads of eggs and potatoes. Or make a tomato sauce beforehand, then in the morning put it in a pan and crack eggs into a couple of holes in the sauce. Fry and then serve over toast...
  • LydiaShackelford
    LydiaShackelford Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread topped with a T of natural PB and half a banana. Egg mug: spray a coffee mug with non-stick, whisk an egg inside the mug, drop in some cheese, bell peppers, a little hot sauce, etc. Give it another whisk to make sure it's nice and beaten. Microwave for one minute. Quick, easy, nom nom nom.
  • JHarr454
    JHarr454 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is usually a serving of almonds, some fruit and some gummi vitamins :)

It's light, it's quick, but it's all I feel like eating in the morning.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Wake up early - make a little omelette to take with you and zap it fo ra second or two in the microwave at work. That's what i've done.
    those instant grits get boring QUICK anyway, not to mention have you ever seen the sodium amount in EACh pack? omg and i eat two packs! I try to eat those on occasion and thats it....
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Boil some eggs if you like eggs then instead of rinsing them in cold water, take them out about 5 min early and wrap those hot suckers in aluminum foil....when you're ready, peel and eat.

Breakfast burritos are good too! Chop and saute some veggies and have some already cooked breakfast meats on hand like chopped ham or bacon. In the morning throw some of the veggies, a lil cheese, and your meat in a tortilla and zap it for 20 seconds. Bam, done. I like the taste of spinach burrito wraps or your could use flat outs too.

Eat leftovers from dinner for breakfast. That's my personal favorite.
  • workout_fish
    workout_fish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I like to make breakfast muffings on Sunday to last us the week. We beat about 18 eggs in a large bowl (you could even sub liquid egg whites for some of the eggs to reduce calories) and add cooked crisp and crumbled bacon pieces or turkey pepperoni or cooked ground breakfast turkey sausage and some veggies. Then pour into sprayed or greesed muffin tin, add a little shredded cheese to the top of each and cook for about 20-30 min on 350. When cooled, we place two in a ziplock sandwich bags or a tupperwares and so we can just grab and go through out the week :)

This sounds yummy!!! And i think my husband would love these for a quick breakfast!
  • 2jayjaysmom
    2jayjaysmom Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of muffins--I get the Martha White brand in different flavors and make a few batches on Sunday then I can grab 2 for breakfast during the week....or make some french toast . When I do French toast instead of milk (in the batter) I use flavored coffee creamer **no alcohol based ones like irish creme**;;this gives the toast a nice flavor and you don't need any syrup or very little so that cuts dwon on a ton of calories...I have used french vanilla or cinnabon on mine
  • annamc18
    Options

This sounds yummy!!! And i think my husband would love these for a quick breakfast!

they do sound pretty amazing! I just need to get myself in that thought pattern of preparing stuff early, too!