Losing weight is easy !!

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hey, OP, I'm officially a grownup and I agree with you all the way! I went through a lot of yo-yoing with my weight for many years because the only way I knew how to diet was to severely restrict calories, and I only did exercise for weight loss. So somehow, when I went back to eating normally and stopped exercising, the weight always came back...weird, huh?

It took me well into my 40s to figure out what you figured out in your teens: eat within limits, and find an activity you'll do year-round forever (I'm also a runner). I'd have saved myself a lot of grief if this had dawned on me sooner.

One suggestion: at your age you have amazing powers of recovery, but it's still a good idea to schedule in occasional rest days to let your muscles heal and recover. Make it a habit now, and it'll help keep you from getting overuse injuries later.

Congrats on your weight loss, and keep this up--for life!

Same here! I wish I had learned about calories and macro-nutrients when I was his age. I would never have gotten so fat in the first place. In school, they made it sound really complicated, so I figured, "why bother." But in fact, it's very simple. The only thing "hard" about it is dedication and patience.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Physically it is real easy. Mentally it can be very hard for some people. If you're 17 it's a lot easier than when you are matured and you've had bad eating habits for a longer time.

So you should pat yourself on the back for realizing this so early on! Will make it easier for you in the future! Good luck maintaining!
  • Jujai52
    Jujai52 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi

3100 daily calories!!!?? No wonder you lost so much the first week and it shouldn't have felt that difficult as 2100 daily is the - "normal" - eating for the average woman! (who isn't trying to lose weight) WELL DONE THO!! and keep at it

Ju
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Yes until you hit the plateau. It takes more (mentally) to keep at it then the actual physical of shoving food down your mouth. Also, many (including me) at one point thought eating less (by less I mean salads all day long not TDEE -%) and burning more was the way to go.
  • Neish_Nonstop
    Neish_Nonstop Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This was very helpful thanks for sharing. I nned to try something new to get the weight falling off again. Maybe I should try jogging instead of walking. Congrats on your weight loss success!!!
  • mtbaker64
    mtbaker64 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! I think its wonderful that you've dropped the weight! Keep up the good work running, etc.

Have a great day!
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Said noone ever!
  • AHealthyMe1lbAtATime
    AHealthyMe1lbAtATime Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post:) Very inspirational!!
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    But in all seriousness. Congrats on your loss. :)
  • thinkcrystal
    thinkcrystal Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think ultimately it comes down to DEDICATION!! You have to want it bad enough. I think we all know what to do in order to achieve what we want....but without the SELF CONTROL it wont happen. Im Glad that it was easy for you...i hope to one day get to where its easy for me. But i have to get over this hump of yo-yo dieting. I dont think the majority of us are overweight because we dont know how to lose weight- its because of our lack of dedication, motivation and SELF CONTROL.
  • LovinDaNewLiz14
    LovinDaNewLiz14 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    HATERS will HATE!!!:laugh:

So proud of you for loosing the weight, and at a young age too:) Wish I would of had your will power,and mind set at the age to get my weight under control!!! Keep up the great work, super proud of you:happy:
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    At age 20 I lost a great deal of weight and would have agreed with the heading of this thread.

Fast forward a few years - er - decades and I (cough) forgot how to do that.

I am now 46 years old! I think I finally am getting the hang of it again (age related metabolism slowing notwithstanding).

What I have I re-learned?

That weight loss IS easy... If you stop making excuses and have a plan - thank u Mfp (:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I said the same thing at 18.

And at 28.

now at 38...not so much. Time has a habit of catching up with many of us.
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    Options
    and now you're an expert... well done :)
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is easy if you have motivation and the will power to do it! ^^
  • cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    How easy or hard it is depends on a lot of factors.

You have a few things going in your favor: You're young and you're male. Overall, men tend to lose weight easier than women because their metabolism is already a bit higher to begin with because of muscle. Secondly, it's easier when you're young.

I lost weight quite easily when I was younger if I put my mind to it. Now, after gaining with my last pregnancy (pregnancy always puts weight on me, no matter how carefully I try to eat), I'm having a hell of a time, and I'm doing the same things! I'm 39 now, so no surprise for me there.

But it will come off, I know it. I'm doing what I need to do, and my body can only hold on to the extra weight for so long.
  • nickielouise36
    nickielouise36 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi.I'm Nicola.. nd I agree with u .. too many people cut out foods they enjoy.. exercise like there's no tomorrow.. then lose weight go back to there 'before' life style then put it back on maybe not all of it but they can't understand why there putting weight on..
    This should be a lifestyle change not a diet.. things in moderation..
    And a big welldone for changing ur life for the better xxx
  • jody04111987
    jody04111987 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'd say 95% of losing weight is in the mind.

I also agree about denying yourself things. I have a chocolate bar every day and I've lost 26lbs in the last 13 weeks.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I am very happy for your success with weight loss and your increased exercise, I don't like to be critical because you are doing so well and the title of your post is about weight loss, But I think it is important to remember that this site is called myFITNESSpal not myFATpal, I am not suggesting you deprive yourself of the foods you enjoy but I have seen plenty of people remain within their calorie goals but their nutrient level are shocking which is eventually a low calorie recipe for disaster and illness.

Like I said CONGRATS man, but please consider the long term effects of what you are or are not putting into your body.
  • steveinct
    steveinct Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Wait until your testosterone drops when you get older... Then come back and tell me how easy it is. You will need to find a balance between staying in a calorie deficit so you drop fat but eating enough so you don't lose muscle. If you lose muscle by being too aggressive, your testosterone will drop further and you will also have to eat less to keep from gaining weight since you have less lean mass. It is a vicious cycle.

I am not trying to be rude, but when I was 18, I could do some push ups and run around the block for a week and lose 10 pounds.

Oh.. and Congratulations on your weight loss!