No more wheat - for me

Options

Replies

• MsFree09
    MsFree09 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in October 2012. The year before, I gained 30 pounds in a month because of this disease, so I thought I would drop the weight right away when going GF.

This wasn't the case. Because I was doing so much research into what I COULD eat, I was loading up on GF versions of breads, cookies, pastries, etc and I gained even more weight!!

This. I was diagnosed in Aug/Sept of 2011. At first I eliminated everything wheat related from my diet and then I found the substitutes and gained weight. Sometimes I crave a sandwich so I use Whole Foods Gluten Free sandwich bread which is really good. Also just discovered, Schar White Rolls this weekend. Other than that, now that I'm trying to lose weight, I've increased my veggies, rice and sweet potatoes to fill me up.
  • Bberl
    Bberl Posts: 32
    Options
    I have adopted a gluten free diet by choice. I have Crohn's disease and manage much better without gluten.
    I have lost weight and noticed substantial health changes such as sleeping through the night and fewer flashes both
    During the day and night. Initially that stopped completely but returned when I slipped up and began eating gluten.
    Now having eaten gluten from Christmas through Easter I also ballooned up weight wise.
    So, I am wiser and once again enjoying a gluten free diet that began Apr 6th.
    I also had incredible ance clear skin. I need to accept that I may be gluten sensitive and not a true Celiac:-)
  • NaturallyandProperly
    NaturallyandProperly Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone. I've read each message. Today is day 7 without wheat, went to the dr. this morning and she wants me to eat it again for a few days and then get tested for Celiac.... :( sad I have to start this over again, but it's a good idea to get tested right? She says if I don't have wheat in my system, get tested, there can be false results...
  • carlydalton1995
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone. I've read each message. Today is day 7 without wheat, went to the dr. this morning and she wants me to eat it again for a few days and then get tested for Celiac.... :( sad I have to start this over again, but it's a good idea to get tested right? She says if I don't have wheat in my system, get tested, there can be false results...

Get tested, its worth it. You have to eat gluten and wheat otherwise you wont have the antibodies in your system that will show that your coeliac

If you are Coeliac you can get gluten free food on prescription, thats what i have
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for 15 months now and feel so much better.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I don't eat too much wheat/gluten. Try spinach pasta, Bob's oats, Dephelmier (sp?) rye breads, quinoa. Lots of options out there now for gluten free diets.
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    We have a partial wheat free household. Our daughter needs this so somethings we go wheat free and some we just buy two kinds(like bread).

Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta is the best in my opinion. Holds up well, good texture, not too pricey.

If you are in the Omaha area, Rotella's bread had two wheat free loaves available. PM me if you need info on Rotellas.

Good luck, lots of websites and recepies.

We are having Black Bean Mac and Cheese tonight. Black Beans, Tinkyada pasta, white sauce made with cornstarch, veggies, and spices.
  • lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I went wheat free for health reasons. I have colitis, and read that wheat is very inflammatory, which also helps for my osteoarthritis. I read Wheat Belly, and while alot of what he touts makes sense, I think the best advice he has it not to replace your old favourites with gluten free replacements. It just leads to disappointment, and if you have trouble with any sort of overeating, it's not going to change if the cupcakes are gluten free.

I'm on day 24, and quite frankly, it's easy. The first 4 days were BRUTAL!!! Headaches, nausea, stomach aches, a whole lotta poop and gas and just general yuckiness. But after that it's been smooth sailing. Do I crave wheat based foods? Not as much as I thought I would. My energy has increased DRAMATICALLY, I have stopped waking up for water and bathroom runs 4-5 times per night. I actually sleep now! It's amazing.

As for pizza...we have a very simple and delicious solution. Portabello Mushroom caps. Just wash with a damp paper towel, remove the stem and scrape out the gills. fill the crater with pasta sauce of your choice (we love classico) and then top with your favourite toppings. We like rosemary ham, onions and peppers, real buffalo mozza and genoa salami. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes, then broil on high for 4 minutes. Let me tell you, it sure gets rid of the craving and tastes delicious. and for 2 giant bellos it's about 500 calories. Add a salad and you're set.

This also works for pulled pork sandwiches, tacos, hamburgers...we just use the bellos as a base.

but for the sweets...since you shouldn't be eating them anyhow, it's best just to eliminate them. after a week you won't crave it...and if you want some chocolate just have one small piece. It's pretty easy. I'm already down 15 pounds, no looking back. Ever.
  • anorrisdyer
    anorrisdyer Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    We have a partial wheat free household. Our daughter needs this so somethings we go wheat free and some we just buy two kinds(like bread).

Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta is the best in my opinion. Holds up well, good texture, not too pricey.

If you are in the Omaha area, Rotella's bread had two wheat free loaves available. PM me if you need info on Rotellas.

Good luck, lots of websites and recepies.

We are having Black Bean Mac and Cheese tonight. Black Beans, Tinkyada pasta, white sauce made with cornstarch, veggies, and spices.

Mmmm Tinkyada. :D It is the best imo as well.
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Great for you! I will be joining that band wagon very soon. I stopped dairy a few weeks ago and so far i feel AMAZING! Good luck on your journey
  • RayNewland
    Options
    I just found this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/2131-gluten-free-vegan here on MFP. I, too, am gluten free since a diagnosis of Celiac disease two years ago.
  • NaturallyandProperly
    Options
    thanks everyone. Right now I'm on day 12... I gotta say I have a lot of upset stomach.... diarrhea......... issues. Has anyone explain why this might be happening? lack of fibre? it's horrible... :(
  • NaturallyandProperly
    Options
    I recommend this bread if you like bread. It has crunchy bits of millet and has awesome texture. Actually holds up well for sandwiches.

udis_gluten_free_millet-chia_bread_2.jpg

I don't think we have this in Canada? Is sprouted wheat considered gluten free? I was really liking sprouted grain bread, http://www.silverhillsbakery.ca/products/sprouted-bread/squirrelly
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. Right now I'm on day 12... I gotta say I have a lot of upset stomach.... diarrhea......... issues. Has anyone explain why this might be happening? lack of fibre? it's horrible... :(

Your innards are likely adjusting to your change in diet. Gut flora actually changes in response to what you are feeding them. You might want to try taking a high quality acidophilus product or some plain yogurt.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Your body just needs time to adjust, for me a good probiotic and garlic help. If you think it might be lack of fiber ground flax seed or chia seed are good, i mix mine in with plain yogurt. Nuts and avocados are high in good fats and fiber. To much sugar or milk cause me to have diarrhea too.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    ETA: My 7yo son is also wheat-intolerant and we do a lot of baking with spelt flour. Makes the best crunchy pizza crust and biscuits that have the taste and mouth-feel that I want from a biscuit. None of the other gf flours or mixes have done as well for us.

Spelt is usually OK for people with wheat intolerance but please be aware that it's NOT gluten free. Spelt is basically an ancient variety of wheat and it causes less problems for some people than wheat. I am coeliac and have had so many people try to offer me spelt products as they think it's a safe alternative. Gluten is also in barley and rye. Oats have a similar protein to gluten which some people are sensitive to (unfortunately I am) and is often contaminated with gluten containing grains when grown/transported/processed.

I was originally pretty down when I was diagnosed but changing my diet has dramatically transformed my life and cleared up all sorts of health issues that I had just been putting up with for years. The most surprising change for me was the end of the ghastly chronic insomnia that had made life miserable. I react very badly to even the slightest bit of gluten so I don't feel any desire to 'cheat' as it's like taking poison to me! Some people think it's just a fad which can be rather annoying!
  • minimoneybox
    Options
    Hi there, first time user here. I was wondering if anyone can help me? I have put myself off wheat and have had no wheat for seven days. I have lost no weight and getting headachs (I dont get headaches) and felling abit down. I would fell better I think if the weight was fulling off me like the wheat belly book says. I not only went off wheat for weight reasons but I was finding bread was making me fell tired and blotted. Yes Im exercising too! Im doing this by myself, no family, no work mates, no friends are wheat free. Can you help?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I'm not allergic to wheat or gluten, but made a decision that starting Monday I'm going to TRY and eliminate the wheat and gluten from my diet to see if I feel better. I eat pretty clean, but LOVE bread which is why I feel my weight loss is slow.

Feel free to add me and we can try this together!

I am also gluten-free (which eliminates most grain for me). I had two reasons for going gluten-free. There is a component in gluten called gliadin that appears to be "addictive" with lab animals when it was tested. I had chronic indigestion for many years and so I did an elimination diet to see if I could track down the cause. When I eliminated gluten, not only did I lose weight but my chronic indigestion completely cleared up (as did other problems as well--rashes, itching, etc.). I do enjoy a bowl of steel-cut oats (gluten-free) a couple of times a week. I was eating pretty clean before I stopped the gluten but eliminating grain seems to open up more of a desire for vegetables and fruit (well, at least it did for me). Good luck. I have sent you a friend request. :smile:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Hi there, first time user here. I was wondering if anyone can help me? I have put myself off wheat and have had no wheat for seven days. I have lost no weight and getting headachs (I dont get headaches) and felling abit down. I would fell better I think if the weight was fulling off me like the wheat belly book says. I not only went off wheat for weight reasons but I was finding bread was making me fell tired and blotted. Yes Im exercising too! Im doing this by myself, no family, no work mates, no friends are wheat free. Can you help?

If you have been eating a high carb diet in the past, your bowel flora are going to adjust to the change in diet. Some that are heavily dependent on simple carbohydrates will die off (to be replaced by other organisms) and in the course of their dying, will put toxic by-products into your system and could well be responsible for the headaches. This is what naturopathic docs call a "die-off reaction". As new organisms proliferate, your symptoms should improve. Drinking a lot of water will help. You might also be having low blood sugar headaches. If you have been high carb in the past, your insulin levels may have been running chronically high because high carb diets contribute to high blood sugar (which then must be "covered" by high insulin). When you abruptly take out a lot of the carbohydrates, your body will still continue pumping out the high levels of insulin (causing your blood sugar to tumble) until it gets used to the "new normal" and cuts back your insulin levels to compensate for the lower level of carbohydrates. The low mood state is also likely to be related to these changes (serotonin the "feel good" neurotransmitter is involved) but should stabilize after a while. There are herbal preparations that boost serotonin levels but you may not need them once your body adjusts. Good luck! :smile:
  • Silvervixen79
    Silvervixen79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to wheat (not gluten in general) since cutting wheat from my diet I have had a lot more energy, dropped a lot of water weight (no more bloating and swollen ankles and face) and no more stomach issues which used to completely rule my life - I had to turn down so many meals out with friends etc because before I knew what was making me sick, I just didnt know how my body would react to the meal and if it was bad it would mean leaving early - which was embarrassing and didnt want to have to explain.