Funny or offensive? Comedian on fat people.

Options

Replies

• Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    "Shouldn't one of us switch? Or we'll just fly off to Canada" OMG too funny. I have the biggest crush on Ricky Gervais.

Comedy is great, and it should always be free speech. I am not offended by anything comedians say because they aren't making fun to hurt anyone. They make observations about the world that we live in, and our world IS a little messed up. You can either take offense and be miserable, or join in the fun with the rest of us.

From my favorite TV show...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwkOAueZbBY
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    Funny. Stand up comedians make fun of religions, races, work statis, etc. and people going shouldn't be offended. It's comedy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I didn't watch the video (yet), but I think it's only funny to poke fun at fatties if the comedian is fat too.

...I don't think it should work that way. I think that we should be allowed to make fun of anything we like. (Plus, lots of points he mentioned are true).

It's one thing if you are poking fun at yourself or someone like you. It's quite another if you are using "humor" in an attempt to bully others.*

And I think some of you misunderstand "free speech". Free speech (in the US) means that the government cannot jail you for it (in many cases -- in some they actually can, with the standard being shouting "fire" in a crowded theater when there is no fire). "Free speech" does not mean that others cannot use their own free speech to argue about what you are saying.

*Which I do not believe the comedian in question has done.
  • swimmer_chick
    swimmer_chick Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    All comedians poke fun at people, it's just a joke! I found it funny and now I'm watching the whole thing haha (:
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I watched that clip quite a few times when I was in college! :D
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch the video (yet), but I think it's only funny to poke fun at fatties if the comedian is fat too.

...I don't think it should work that way. I think that we should be allowed to make fun of anything we like. (Plus, lots of points he mentioned are true).

It's one thing if you are poking fun at yourself or someone like you. It's quite another if you are using "humor" in an attempt to bully others.*

And I think some of you misunderstand "free speech". Free speech (in the US) means that the government cannot jail you for it (in many cases -- in some they actually can, with the standard being shouting "fire" in a crowded theater when there is no fire). "Free speech" does not mean that others cannot use their own free speech to argue about what you are saying.

*Which I do not believe the comedian in question has done.

You.. can't... be... serious...

It's a somewhat free country, if a comedian wants to do a gig on fat people then so be it. Nobody is forcing you to watch his/her show.

The only reason why I say somewhat is because people like you get butt hurt , whine and complain. They loose their job which is ironic because it's contradictory to what you are "fighting" for.
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    I cracked a few smiles. More true than funny I think.
  • Maracuya77
    Options
    I honestly don't want stuff that makes me uncomfortable. Some people find college humor like American Wedding funny, and I don't. It's pretty offensive and overall terrible. I watched a standup from Tosh.O and wow, he was vulgar, offensive and a lot of things he said about women's bodies was over the top with crudeness. Never again! I like comedians like George Lopez and Gabriel Iglesias and Martin Lawrence. People who are actually funny without using crudeness and a bully-like mentality as the main meat of their comedy act. It's no surprise that most people find mindless, rude things funny...people are becoming more and more desensitized to the good and true things in life as each day passes. So yea, not watching this. Thanks for sharing though.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    He's very funny but speaking the truth most of all!
  • 50belugas
    Options
    It's not politically correct to make fun of people in protected classes. Fat people are not generally perceived to be members of a protected class, although they (we) probably should be, for employment reasons if no other. By "protected class" I mean members of a particular race or ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc. I await the day when fat people are no longer made fun of or publicly harassed by total strangers (as I have been, and by some random middle-aged man in a business suit, no less). Needless to say, I'll take along a lunch while waiting for that!
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It's not politically correct to make fun of people in protected classes. Fat people are not generally perceived to be members of a protected class, although they (we) probably should be, for employment reasons if no other. By "protected class" I mean members of a particular race or ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc. I await the day when fat people are no longer made fun of or publicly harassed by total strangers (as I have been, and by some random middle-aged man in a business suit, no less). Needless to say, I'll take along a lunch while waiting for that!

A protected class?!? You think fat people should be a protected class?? WOW. We made ourselves overweight. And we can do something to change it. Overweight people do not need to be protected, they need to make changes. End of story.
  • 50belugas
    Options
    Oh, dear, was that the first salvo in a flame war?
  • IamSheaMc
    Options
    I like comedians like George Lopez and Gabriel Iglesias and Martin Lawrence. People who are actually funny without using crudeness and a bully-like mentality as the main meat of their comedy act. It's no surprise that most people find mindless, rude things funny...people are becoming more and more desensitized to the good and true things in life as each day passes.

Everyone has a different sense of humor, because yours is different from that of someone else doesn't make them NOT "actually funny" or a person who is "crude" with " a bully-like mentality".
    Someone may find something funny that you don't that doesn't make their taste "Mindless" and "rude".
    You said "people are becoming more and more desensitized", it could also be that you are becoming too sensitive.

It's all a matter of preference/opinion.
  • IamSheaMc
    Options
    Fat people are not generally perceived to be members of a protected class, although they (we) probably should be, for employment reasons if no other. By "protected class" I mean members of a particular race or ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc. I await the day when fat people are no longer made fun of or publicly harassed by total strangers (as I have been.

I think "Fat people" as you put it do in fact belong to "a particular race or ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation" lmao
    I await the day when "fat people" who got fat by their own doing and not because of medical issues take responsibility for their health.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Fat people are not generally perceived to be members of a protected class, although they (we) probably should be, for employment reasons if no other. By "protected class" I mean members of a particular race or ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc. I await the day when fat people are no longer made fun of or publicly harassed by total strangers (as I have been.

I think "Fat people" as you put it do in fact belong to "a particular race or ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation" lmao
    I await the day when "fat people" who got fat by their own doing and not because of medical issues take responsibility for their health.

a particular race or ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation <--- Something you really can't control

Being fat <--- Something that you CAN control.

No sympathy and you're on the wrong website if you are looking for some.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    it was funny. and it is OK for comedians to make fun of all sorts of groups, people or situations. It is kind of what they do.

I have heard comedians jokes about my race, ethnicity, religious beliefs, workout habits, eating habits, political affiliation, my job, my gender, my hobbies and organization I volunteer for. some of them are offensive, some wrong, but almost all of them funny.

so, IMHO, if one get offended by a comedian, don't watch them. it is real easy as tv and youtube give one the the ability to just click away.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Ricky is hilarious, love him. :) I thought it was funny.

That said, people who dislike it, censorship is what makes good comedy stale, repetitive, boring, and just plain not funny. If you want to censor something, just censor yourself. The moment we start telling people what they can think / say, that's the moment we hold back the progression of mankind.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I actually enjoyed it and found it funny
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    And I honestly don't see the point of being so PC in this world. You end up offending SOMEBODY somewhere with whatever you say. People aren't made of glass, if you don't like what someone is saying, don't listen to them.

I for one have heard (and made my own) jokes on being very white, red headed, Polish, and catholic. There are funny aspects to every part of me, why shouldn't people poke fun at them? I like who I am and I like to laugh.

Comedians don't direct their jokes AT people to be hurtful, they do it to poke fun at the differences in people. Some jokes may be tasteless, yes. But they are entertainers who always need to find new material and they should be allowed to try everything. If it's not funny, drunkenly and boo them off stage. They won't do that joke again.