How do I exercise with an insane schedule?

Options
I'm sure a million people have asked this, but everyone's situation is unique so I'm hoping all of you MFPers can help me :wink: I've lost a ton of weight and I was exercising regularly until a few weeks ago when my schedule went crazy... now I can't seem to fit it in and I'm frustrated b/c I don't want all my hard work to go out the window.

I have a full time job, two kids (9 and 12), and I'm taking 2 classes toward my MBA. Here's my schedule - can you help?
Monday and Tuesday - Commute 6:40 to 7:30, Work 7:30 to 4:15, Commute 4:15 to 5:30 (takes me longer to get back b/c of traffic), Homework 5:45 to Midnight, Bed sometime between 12 and 1 (depending on what I need to do to get ready for the next day)
Wednesday and Thursday - Commute 6:40 to 7:30, Work 7:30 to 4:15, Commute 4:15 to 6:15 (I go further away on these days), Class from 6:20 to 8:50, Stay after and do homework at the computer lab from 9 to Midnight, Bed sometime between 12 and 1 (depending on what I need to do to get ready for the next day)
Friday - Commute 6:40 to 7:30, Work 7:30 to 4:15, Commute 4:15 to 5:30 (takes me longer to get back b/c of traffic), Family time from when I get home from work until I fall asleep
Saturday/Sunday varies for me b/c of my daughters' schedules (we're in the height of gymnastics competition season right now so I attend meets on the weekends), I also tutor my daughter in math on the weekends, and do my share of the house stuff, and homework that did not get completed during the week

I'd like to work out at least 4 days a week, but I really don't know where/how to fit it in... can someone offer advice?

Replies

• hollyannem
    Options
    Wow, you Do have a lot on your plate! Kudos for managing it all.

What about your lunch hour? Is there somewhere you could take a walk? Do you have a private office, where you could stash some weights? I keep stuff in my car for impromptu workouts when time permits. I also have a mall close by that people walk in. It's not very busy.

Does your workplace have any sort of corporate fitness plan? Example: My insurance pays for the sign up fee at a gym.

On weekends maybe you could take a walk or do a video with the kids. I'm not sure how long you spend doing the meets, driving there and back etc.

Work mornings must be really tough. I was going to suggest a quickie video that was effective, i.e. Jillian Michaels 20 minute shreds or something,. But I realized that I would lay down and cry if I had to do that before one of your days!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    To long, didn't read... but ultimately if you want it, if it means enough to you, you'll find a way to fit it in. Most people use time as an excuse. For some it is a legitimate obstacle. But we all have obstacles to overcome... if it's important enough then you'll find a way to make it happen.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    at first i was going to say get up an hour earlier until i read that you're going to bed at 1 in the morning. lunch break. that's when i work out.

you said you're taking 2 classes but you go to school 4 days a week? just want to make sure i read that right.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Yous ay when you leave, but not when you get up. Can you get up 30 minutes earlier and squeze in 15 minutes of HIIT? I get up between 4:15 and 4:30 to workout, and I leave the house by 7 most days. You can do some bodyweight exercises like squats, lunges and push-ups on your lunch hour. You could also do that stuff, crazy as it may look, while on breaks and in between events at gymnastics meets. Also, you could do it after work, before bed. I know you list that as "family time" but 15-20 minutes would even be enough to get a workout in. Heck, you could do your work out as family time. If you have a gaming system that allows a dance game, do that with your kids. Or, just throw some music on and dance for 20-30 minutes. If you keep moving constantly, trust me, it'll get your HR up. My girls (12 & 4) love "Dance Party".
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I bring my workout tools (suspension trainer and sandbags w/ water fillers) to work with me and work out for 20-30 minutes on my lunch break daily. The results I get are amazing.
  • barbi1281
    barbi1281 Posts: 48
    Options
    Wow, you Do have a lot on your plate! Kudos for managing it all.

What about your lunch hour? Is there somewhere you could take a walk? Do you have a private office, where you could stash some weights? I keep stuff in my car for impromptu workouts when time permits. I also have a mall close by that people walk in. It's not very busy.

Does your workplace have any sort of corporate fitness plan? Example: My insurance pays for the sign up fee at a gym.

On weekends maybe you could take a walk or do a video with the kids. I'm not sure how long you spend doing the meets, driving there and back etc.

Work mornings must be really tough. I was going to suggest a quickie video that was effective, i.e. Jillian Michaels 20 minute shreds or something,. But I realized that I would lay down and cry if I had to do that before one of your days!

My job doesn't offer anything but I have a gym membership on my own - just haven't been able to use it lately. Thanks for the idea of keeping weights in my office :smile: Now that the weather is breaking (I'm in Maryland), I am going to start walking at lunch.

The meets vary - last weekend she competed on Sunday at 2:15 so I worked on a paper for school until 1 then I helped her get her hair straight for the meet and we left. We ended up not getting home until about 7:30/8 p.m. After dinner I worked on the paper some more until about midnight which is when I went to bed.

And you are exactly right about wanting to lay down and cry if you were to try to do something in the morning... I was going to the gym in the mornings until I started pulling these late nights but now I'm only getting 4-5 hours of sleep.
  • barbi1281
    Options
    To long, didn't read... but ultimately if you want it, if it means enough to you, you'll find a way to fit it in. Most people use time as an excuse. For some it is a legitimate obstacle. But we all have obstacles to overcome... if it's important enough then you'll find a way to make it happen.

Why comment if you can't and/or didn't read? You seem like one of those rude *kitten* people that are the very reason I don't often post in this forum. :mad: I'm not making any excuses - asking for advice on fitting a workout into an 18-20 hour day.
  • barbi1281
    Options
    at first i was going to say get up an hour earlier until i read that you're going to bed at 1 in the morning. lunch break. that's when i work out.

you said you're taking 2 classes but you go to school 4 days a week? just want to make sure i read that right.

I go to school for class two nights per week, the other nights I'm doing related homework (sometimes I go to the computer lab on campus to work b/c I have children at home as well as pets, a husband, and my disabled mother staying with us). I'm at the end of my MBA and there is suddenly more work than I've ever had (i.e. one of my classes has 2 30 page papers, a 45 minute presentation, an essay midterm, an essay final, weekly case analysis, weekly mini-essays, and mandatory attendance - all in 15 weeks).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Why comment if you can't and/or didn't read? You seem like one of those rude *kitten* people that are the very reason I don't often post in this forum. :mad: I'm not making any excuses - asking for advice on fitting a workout into an 18-20 hour day.

And you seem like one of those overly sensitive people that get all worked up when advice isn't given in just the exact perfect tone.

Look, like I said before. We all have challenges to overcome. Some people don't have a gym nearby to go to (or can't afford it). Some people have disabilities. Some people have diseases. Some people have a zillion kids. Some people work 3 jobs. People who use those things as excuses will never find a way (I'm not saying that's you, I'm just saying those people are out there). People who don't use them as excuses, who really want to be healthier or stronger or faster or whatever... those people find a way to make it happen (I'm not saying that's you either).

You know which of those groups you fall into. Most of us fall into both, but more one than the other. I'm a single father, work a full time job, etc etc etc. Most of the time I'm dedicated enough to find time to workout out. Some times I'm not and make excuses.
  • barbi1281
    Options
    Yous ay when you leave, but not when you get up. Can you get up 30 minutes earlier and squeze in 15 minutes of HIIT? I get up between 4:15 and 4:30 to workout, and I leave the house by 7 most days. You can do some bodyweight exercises like squats, lunges and push-ups on your lunch hour. You could also do that stuff, crazy as it may look, while on breaks and in between events at gymnastics meets. Also, you could do it after work, before bed. I know you list that as "family time" but 15-20 minutes would even be enough to get a workout in. Heck, you could do your work out as family time. If you have a gaming system that allows a dance game, do that with your kids. Or, just throw some music on and dance for 20-30 minutes. If you keep moving constantly, trust me, it'll get your HR up. My girls (12 & 4) love "Dance Party".

I currently get up between 5:45 and 6. I used to get up early and go to the gym but that was when I was going to bed no later than 11 - most nights I don't get to bed until 1 or later now (last night I got to bed at 2:30). I don't know that my body can physically handle getting up any earlier with the schedule I'm pulling. I'm definitely going to try small weights at work and doing something on my lunch break (limited though since I work in full business attire :smile: .

As for after work or before bed - there's really no free time... I commute from DC (which is ranked #1 nationwide for traffic and completely lives up to it:grumble: ) to school two days a week and I've got 2 hours to get my car from parking and drive 50 miles (my school is such a distance b/c I lived near it when I started - I've since moved closer to work but it's nearly impossible to transfer MBA credits and I was more than halfway through so I'm stuck there). The other days I just go straight to wherever I'm doing school work and get busy b/c it takes so long to get it done... Maybe I'll try to fit my 30 day shred dvd in on those days before I start my homework... :huh:

We actually only have family time one day a week and then we do something fun like bowling or an outing or a movie - the rest of the days my husband takes care of the girls and I call them when I have breaks at school. We do play the dance games occasionally, so if my girls are game I'll try to incorporate that more into my family time.
  • barbi1281
    Options
    I bring my workout tools (suspension trainer and sandbags w/ water fillers) to work with me and work out for 20-30 minutes on my lunch break daily. The results I get are amazing.

Thanks for the advice - I'm going to go pick up some small weights this weekend and bring them to work :smile:
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You know, this might be one of those times in your life where you have to prioritise. You are not Super Woman and you cannot do absolutely everything and be there for everybody.

It sounds like at this point in time, you need to focus on your studies. Your MBA will eventually be complete and then you can go back to prioritising fitness.

You're only going to get yourself stressed/ill/upset if you try to fit everything in.

Maybe for now, just focus on the things you do have some time for ie. healthy eating, small exercises like holding in your belly while at meetings, standing while taking phone calls at work, a quick 20 squats in the ladies, taking the stairs where possible.

I don't think that just because you aren't getting up at 4.15 that you are failing in being healthy and fit!!! Life is supposed to be enjoyable, not torturous!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Take a 12-20 minute study break, do a simple body weight circuit workout. It's effective & short.

You don't need hours a day or equipment
  • pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    Study for 30 mins less every 3-4 days and do high intensity work outs through the week :smile: There's time, just change your schedule a tiny bit, prioritize your own happiness and your body for once :-)
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options

How unhelpful....? If you even bothered to read, you'd see she is one of the very few people who makes one of these posts that actually is strapped for time. Short of waking up early, she'd only be getting three hours of sleep a night... And that's so ridiculous it's not even funny.

Barbi, I suggest maintaining a calorie deficit for now until things calm down a little bit, and fit whatever you can into any space you find at the weekend.
  • Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Try and squeeze in fresh air - park in a car park further away etc. You'll be thankful for the walk and the air before sitting down to do loads of work! I've just finished Uni (albeit under less stressful circumstances) and I really enjoyed the fresh air to keep me sane! Just fit in those little things when you can! We were always told at uni to keep up exercise because its that kind of thing that keeps minds sharp etc etc
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Work out on your lunch break
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

I know right, but she is just being thorough which shows your determination OP...
    Essentially, you just need 20 mins a day. Julian Micheals had a 30 day shred and Killer Buns and Thighs that are great quick efficient workouts.

Good Luck to you Miss.
  • ahiddenlink
    ahiddenlink Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I like the theories of either squeezing something into lunch and/or cutting down a little bit on study time. With all those class items due, I have to imagine you get brain fried while working on it. Take a break every hour or so and just do a little bit here and there until the load eases off and hit the gym again.
  • kels1152
    kels1152 Posts: 74
    Options

And you seem like one of those overly sensitive people that get all worked up when advice isn't given in just the exact perfect tone.

Look, like I said before. We all have challenges to overcome. Some people don't have a gym nearby to go to (or can't afford it). Some people have disabilities. Some people have diseases. Some people have a zillion kids. Some people work 3 jobs. People who use those things as excuses will never find a way (I'm not saying that's you, I'm just saying those people are out there). People who don't use them as excuses, who really want to be healthier or stronger or faster or whatever... those people find a way to make it happen (I'm not saying that's you either).

You know which of those groups you fall into. Most of us fall into both, but more one than the other. I'm a single father, work a full time job, etc etc etc. Most of the time I'm dedicated enough to find time to workout out. Some times I'm not and make excuses.

Ignore the rude ones that don't offer advice but instead just judge. : )

You definitely sound like someone who has the dedication and yea, sometimes life does get way to hectic.
    But like other people said, just squeeze in a 10 minute workout a few times throughout the day.
    I'm also working towards my MBA so theres lots of studying. My brain can't focus for more than an hour or so, so always just get up, do some burpees, jumping jacks, pushups, etc. It'll help re-energize ya and then regain the focus for the studies which are very important :)
    Good luck with everything you have! Hopefully life slows down a bit for ya soon :)