New running shoes are causing me pain

Options
2»

Replies

• GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If the store won't take them back, I'd call Asics customer service department. I'm sure that they will take care of you. They'd probably want to know if one of their retailers refuses to exchange shoes as well.

I've returned running shoes to several places, some online, some local. They all take them back if you explain that they cause pain and discomfort.
  • dclem2012
    dclem2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have a torn achilles (with scarring) and some planter fasciitus as result. I have also use Asics. BUT I still have to add inserts. I get the Dr. Scholls Active. Take the one out of the shoe and re-insert Dr.S. I find that very few shoes actually have the arch support I need. The soreness I get actually tends to feel like bruising; at first I thought the arch in the shoe was too high. BUT the swelling causes that feeling.

I just bought my third pair of Asics Kayanos. My others have inserts. I thought since they were new I would try without. I alternated running/jogging yesterday. AND my arch was hurting half way through exercise. So on way home went to CVS, replaced the inserts. No problems this morning.

I have a fairly new pair of Mizuno's that I also had to put the Dr. S in.

BTW....it is always just the foot with torn tendon! So, I am sure the shoe is fine.

I usually put inserts in my casual shoes also, but definitely for the pounding of running, power walking, or hiking I use inserts.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    When I first got fitted for my shoes I had aches under the arches but it was just a case of my feet getting used to having support there for the first time. Bit like when I started back on a push bike my rear end was sore the first few times I rode till I got used to it :laugh:

this is what I was thinking. I have very flat feet, so anything with arch support makes my feet ache just because I'm not used to having the shoe actually push up my arches.

That was my initial thought but to be honest the pain was severe enough to be alarming - not just the kind of aches and pains you get from doing new types of exercise. I am just frightened of causing myself an injury. I went out in my old shoes today and aside from a blister where the lining is worn I didn't have any pain.

trogalicious - they do have a facebook page so I will try that. I just sent an email to the general asics info email address because I can't find a direct address for the store or for customer services.
  • armymom5
    armymom5 Posts: 115
    Options
    A little off topic but..........where do you have a gait analysis done? Stores like Scheels?
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Take them back. Most places like that have a return/exchange policy as long as they are not too worn. My running place allows you a full refund within a 2 week period, as long as they aren't too damaged.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Def take em back
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    This happeneed to me tooo:( i sold them on ebay luckly i had extra moneys & purchased pair that i knew were gunna be great( id own pervious pairs of saucony and being silly i listened to the sales person and bought New Balance , never again.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    TAKE THEM BACK, like other posters said, they did the analysis and recommended the shoe. As I always say, it doesn't hurt to ask. Take em back and politely ask for a refund after explaining the experience. If no results ask to speak to a manager. If no results contact corporate with all details. If no results contact the BBB and file a complaint and do a negative review on Yelp! Oh and let them know you will be doing that. :bigsmile:
  • rodsco
    rodsco Posts: 1
    Options
    No shoes should cause prolonged pain or discomfort. Heel cushioned, Arch supporting shoes are important for running, but only to the point that the contour of the shoe matches your neutral weight bearing arch. You should feel immediately comfortable in your shoe, and should not have to spend an excessive amount of time "breaking them in". The same goes for any prescribed or over the counter orthotics or shoe inserts. Some initial discomfort can just be due to the rebalancing of your foot muscles and joints and you should take a gradual approach to adjusting to them. If after a week you are still having pain, then you are wearing the wrong shoes.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Definitely take them back. I had a similar issue, thought i could break them in and continued to wear them for over a month. I continued to get cramps in the arch of one of my feet so I took them back. I explained the problem and they not only returned them for store credit, but sold me a better (more expensive) pair of shoes at the same price as an apology (This was at Fleet Feet in Stockton, CA).
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Well, I got a response from the shop today, they have said that if I bring in the shoes and they can see me in them and re-*kitten*, they will exchange IF they agree that they are the wrong type of shoe for me.

I might just have to leave this. The store is over an hour away, so with the cost in petrol and the time spent I could end up much more out of pocket if they disagree.
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't need anyone to tell me a painful shoe may or may not be right for me. I'd take it to a public forum such as their FB wall. I couldn't imagine my running store saying that. I'd also tell them I was going to review them on Yelp. Then again, I've got a temper.