Half marathon issue

Options
I am planning to run my first half marathon on May 9th. I have fell behind on schedule due to calf injury and the great weather of Wisconsin. I am running about 5-6 miles now. I am totally ok with walking some but what are your opinions?

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    With an injury to my calf, if it's not very healed, I wouldn't run it, training 5-6 miles will make it a very tough half. Even walking, that distance if you haven't trained for it, you could get injured. I would look at your long term goals of running and maybe ditch the race if you haven't at least been running up to 8-10 consistently, IMO you are just asking for injury. Your first half, should be a great experience, one you worked for and know you will do well, even with a "finish" goal, you really want to train correctly so that you feel you can do more half's in the future with better or like results.

I run a lot of half and all of my longest training runs are 15 miles. It can be done w/o going that far, but I like to feel great at the finish.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I always do a run/walk interval exercise during all of my runs, including my 2 marathons and 5 half marathons. I highly recommend it and I think you'll be fine as long as your calf is fully healed.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I would think as long as your calf is healed, you should be all right. You can do a walk/run and since it is your first one, it will be a PR! Woo hoo! Just don't put too much pressure on yourself to beat some time that you had in your mind before you got injured. Enjoy it!

And gschneck...I see you did Goofy...are you going to be Dopey in 2014???
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    No reason you can't walk\run if your calf is healed enough. I know plenty of people that have walked a half marathon.
  • dejesus4
    dejesus4 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great in put. My goal was to complete a half by my 30th birthday with that in mind I am determined and am okay with a walk/run. Then maybe sign up for another at the end of the summer and shoot to run that. My calf has felt great so thinking thats behind me.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    If the calf is good with it, I would try to do a couple of 8 or 9 mile runs before your half. You really only need to taper the actual week of the half (like two easy 3's during that week). I ran my first half after a training problems. My longest run was 8 miles. The first 10 I felt great and maintained my pace but the last 3 almost did me in.
  • bigbrownkid
    Options
    may 9th leaves one month. is ur calf fully healed and are back at 5-miles? I think trying to increase your long distance mile by 1 every week will be good. that way by april 29th you should be around 9 miles. then if you can run that, then you wont have a problem finishing the race if you are ok with walking some of it. this may be better than just losing your money and your hard work. but if your not healed dont re injure yourself, sign up for one closer to your birthday if thats your goal.