need help

Options
I am 5.2 50 years old 139 pounds. I have been a yo yo dieter with atkins, 17 day diet, and others. I have been doing this for around 1 week now and was given 1200 calories. I walk 90 minutes every morning which is around 4 miles. I also will do a 45 minute treadmill workout where i can burn any where between 300 and 400 calories. I also do some weight training. If i did the bmr it says i should be eating like 1900 calories. I have 2 small glasses of red wine at dinner which i also factor in. Some days i am at around 1300 but most sit around the 1200 mark. Is this to low. I am afraid to eat any more incase i do gain weight.

Replies

• 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    wow...i have 2k calories a day and walk maybe 30 mins a day if I am not lazy. I too have trouble reaching my full calories But I cant really say I cant see your food diary. But seeing as you are older how is your fiber?Protein? Also I am also short and my goal weight is 142 for 5.3 what are you tryin to accomplish here? weight loss? or muscle maintenance or gain?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    My maintenance level with moderate activity is over 2000 calories a day (so a deficit would be closer to 1700). 1200 is not enough.
  • kenorus
    kenorus Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    wow 2000 calories seems like alot. I just put my food diary public. I am trying to get to 128 also to build muscle. I am active , i also do trx training and golf every day in the summer. I gained most of my weight this winter as we were away and drank alot and ate out lots. I guess i have to start eating more but really have to get into that mentality that i wont gain weight. I love my meat and veggies try to stay away from alot of bread. I will not give my wine up, and it is even harder in the summer as i golf every day and that comes with more dinner parties and more wine. I enjoy reading the success stories and will keep trying to track everything i eat.
  • GinaRamp
    GinaRamp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am near your age, weight and height and I feel like 1200 is just the right amount. If I eat more than that, I gain.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    wow 2000 calories seems like alot. I just put my food diary public. I am trying to get to 128 also to build muscle. I am active , i also do trx training and golf every day in the summer. I gained most of my weight this winter as we were away and drank alot and ate out lots. I guess i have to start eating more but really have to get into that mentality that i wont gain weight. I love my meat and veggies try to stay away from alot of bread. I will not give my wine up, and it is even harder in the summer as i golf every day and that comes with more dinner parties and more wine. I enjoy reading the success stories and will keep trying to track everything i eat.

If you are indeed trying for muscle toning then you shouldnt worry about weight loss. You can loss fat weight and gain muscle. How is your fiber? And no 2k calories isnt alot I cant eat enough to hit it. 3k to 5k is alot . As long as you have calorie defecits you will lose weight if you are stalled out you need to up your RDI.Did FP auto give you this RDI of 1200 calories you are very active so you def need more fuel.
  • kenorus
    kenorus Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    okay so it says 1200 net calories but below it says 1850 . Is that the calories i am to eat if i exercise i am so confused now
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    okay so it says 1200 net calories but below it says 1850 . Is that the calories i am to eat if i exercise i am so confused now

Eat back every exercise calorie burned. SO, yes, 1850...but even that will not be enough in the long term because you are still only netting 1200. 1200 will work wonders for a while on the scale...but then you will plateau because a good portion of the weight you lose will be lean muscle mass (which controls your metabolism - more = higher).

I eat 1850 a day, every day, no matter if I workout or not (I use the TDEE method). On a workout day I end up netting 1300, but that is only 3 days a week so the other days make up for it.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am 5.2 50 years old 139 pounds. I have been a yo yo dieter with atkins, 17 day diet, and others. I have been doing this for around 1 week now and was given 1200 calories. I walk 90 minutes every morning which is around 4 miles. I also will do a 45 minute treadmill workout where i can burn any where between 300 and 400 calories. I also do some weight training. If i did the bmr it says i should be eating like 1900 calories. I have 2 small glasses of red wine at dinner which i also factor in. Some days i am at around 1300 but most sit around the 1200 mark. Is this to low. I am afraid to eat any more incase i do gain weight.

My mother is 60 y/o and 116 lbs and 5'4. She walks for an hour 5 mornings a week (or does the elliptical for 30 minutes). She says she eats about 1200-1500 calories each day to maintain because she said her metabolism slows down naturally. It seems to me like you are the same track with her and she lives a very healthy lifestyle and looks amazing :bigsmile:

I think you should keep up with what you are doing! If anything add maybe 200-300 calories a day to incorporate the exercise?