Quiting smoking while counting cals

Options
Hey everyone!

My name's Lucy. I'm 5'3" and 24 years old. I've been eating vegan for over a year now and I definitely feel better because of it but the new foods I've discovered are even better than what I was eating before, no weight has come off as a result from switching to vegan-ism. I have so many new recipes I want to try and when I do I could never stop with one plate!

I'm still eating vegan but I've recently been watching how much I eat and started counting calories last Saturday (4/6/13). So far I have lost 10-15 pounds (the scale says 125 or 130 throughout the day... so I guess I'm 125 when I'm completely empty...?) Either way I feel great and can't even remember the last time I saw my weight below 140 so this is huge news for me! I don't have so much a goal "weight" as I would just like to look be as slim as possible and still look good. I'm thinking I'd like to be around the 105-110 range but I'll have to see when I get there. I want to be skinny but healthy.

I know this isn't a non-smoking forum but I want to explain what's causing the main struggle in my calorie consumption. This is also affecting my health as I am unmotivated and don't want to exercise when I am a smoker or quitting smoking
A few weeks ago I was sure I had quit smoking for good. I'll spare you the long sob story but I smoked one while drinking and then a week later another and then it was all downhill from there. Now I'm wanting to quit ASAP but I don't know how to deal with the awful chocolate (and food in general) cravings that I get. I thought I'd go drink my last beer tonight for the next few months.. or year... and smoke away to enjoy my last night and then try tomorrow. I know the next few days are going to be hell though.

Hope to meet some nice people here and we'll be able to trade tips with each other and offer support! Not getting to eat everything I want is hard but it's even harder when you're quitting smoking at the same time!

Replies

• liz111006
    liz111006 Posts: 26
    Options
    I quit smoking recently, and I wish you the best of luck!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    As a smoker for 45 years I can tell you it took a stay in the ICU with blood clots in my heart and legs to get me to quit. I quit Jan 26, 2012 and I can do so much more than I ever could. Just think what you could do if you didn't smoke.Don't wait until it's to late and you can't undo the damage done to your wonderful body!( I also stopped all alcohol on July 4,2011) Love yourself totally! Good Luck!
  • Hallucynogen
    Hallucynogen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! It's going to be a rough next couple of days but I'll be glad once the first 3 days are over with! I've only been smoking for 2 years, if that even so I want to quit now before it gets even harder to quit. It really just becomes a part of your life after a while :/ Definitely going to have to work a few sweets into my daily calorie count so I have something to look forward to!
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I haven't smoked a cigarette in exactly one week today! I smoked 2 packs for over 35 years. I am using the vapor to quit. I am on the step down program with the nicotine. It is a process but it is working. I started at the highest mg on nicotine and and have stepped down by 6 mg. so far and will be stepping down again this weekend. My goal is to be nicotine free by June 1. My Dr. has endorsed this method of quitting and I have to say I am stunned that it is working for me. I was a die hard smoker was never going to quit. With this step down method, I haven't craved a cigarette. I can already breathe a little better which is giving me incentive to start exercising again. You can do it!!!!!!
  • BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It has been exactly 33 days since I have quit smoking and I feel fantastic. I have quit drinking (even the smallest amount) for the time being because I don't want to be tempted at all. Hang in there and you can add me if you like, we can give each other motivation!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking on September 25, 2012...I started counting calories on October 10, 2012...it can be done. Best of luck...my trick was to really focus and harness my energy to the weight room and to HIIT.
  • Mom4Liz
    Mom4Liz Posts: 55
    Options
    I quit smoking one week ago. It hasn't always been easy but I keep going. I have been using Nicotine gum. I know many people say go cold turkey but I needed a step down so I don't rip someone's head off. I drink a lot of water now and that seems to help. I feel like I can already breathe a little better. My DH smokes and he had a heart attack at 35. He still smokes and nothing I have done has ever made him quit. My Grandma had emphysema from smoking. She had to roll a large oxygen canister around from room to room with her. I just realize I need to take control if I want to have a long healthy life. We can do this together. I believe in you.
  • carlytenney
    carlytenney Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    For me what helped was staying away from my cigarette "triggers". I stopped drinking alcohol. I had my morning coffee in a different place in the house. I stayed away from friends who smoked. Also I went to non-smoking places. Movies, malls etc. Quitting smoking is like another full time job. Everytime I wanted a cigarette I drank from my giganticwater bottle that I carried around with me. It also helped fill me up so that I wasn"t gnawing on everything in site. You have to always be aware. Good luck!
  • leeroxboro
    leeroxboro Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The last cig I had was March 5, 2013....I'd smoked for 35 years, and had gotten up to 2 - 2 1/2 packs a day. When I smoked, I didn't care about what I ate, and cringed at the thought of exercise. The reason I'm here today is because for once, I feel like I'm able to get healthy and fit...

Stick with it now, while you're young, and life will be much easier for you when you get to be my age!! Trust me, you will feel much, much better!! AND, if you happen to have a set back, don't knock yourself down, suck it up and try again. Notice I said "the last cig I had" and not "I had my last cig"!! Every cigarette you don't smoke is one you didn't smoke!!

Hang in there, find some people to help you through those cravings (somebody you can call and rant to or whatever if needed) and try your hardest to avoid the triggers, at least at the beginning!!
  • boboff
    boboff Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stop!

Been 30 years for me, man and boy,

Been wearing patches and trying to cut down last two days.

It's not working but I will give it time, and cut me some slack.

I read Allen Carr the "easy way" - I'll save you buying the book, his program = Give up, don't fret!

I tried that and that evening I told my wife I was leaving her, luckily she forgave me!

Best of luck to you all, and me!
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Get a copy of Allen Carr's Easyway to stop smoking. Best book I ever bought myself because it's six years since I smoked now and i never miss them, in fact I have gone from being a really heavy smoker to being so pleased to be free from them that I trained as a hypnotherapist so I could help others stop... I have lost three stone since that time too. Once I got rid of the cigarettes I felt like I could do more for myself/my health and it was true.

Trust me, that book is not just some preachy crap about how smoking is bad for you (if knowing it was bad for us was enough to stop us everyone would quit). It breaks down the nature of nicotine addiction so that it becomes very clear how to get free from it. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Best of luck. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose. I promise you. I never miss cigarettes or that time when I would wake up every morning coughing and reaching for my cigarettes. You can feel like that too. :smile:
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi, I can totally relate to you but you can do it! Don't beat yourself up about slipping, the important thing is that you are still quitting.
    I quit 92 days ago and smoked for 10 years. The first few weeks are tough but I downloaded the livestrong quit smoking app and I think that is what helped me the most. Get the paid version so you can post to the community but everyone on there is so supportive and it really helps when you have a craving to log on and see all these other people who are going through the same thing and offering advice. I also felt very accountable to these strangers whom I'll probably never meet except we are all going through the same life changing experience of quitting. Try that and also I found the e-cigarette helped instead of going cold turkey. I only used it for a few weeks but between that and the livestrong app I could keep my hands and mind busy while waiting for a craving to pass instead of eating. I even lost 6 pounds since I quit!
    I also started working out harder and knew that when I pushed myself to work out so hard I was out of breath that quitting was the best thing I've ever done. I didn't really get any food cravings but sounds like you eat very healthy anyways so just up your excercise and drink more water and you'll be fine.
    I support you, you got this!
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Ha. Just saw the other person's post saying the Allen Carr book is simply 'Give up, don't fret'. I can assure you that is not true. It is very detailed about the nature of nicotine addiction and the most important part is that you don't stop until you are ready- even if that means going back and re-reading it until you truly understand what he is saying.. Nobody who thought the message was as simple as 'Give up, don't fret' would stay stopped. :wink: It's massively popular for a reason. It's worked for millions of people who 'got it'.
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    One more thing- spend some time reading whyquit.org. The true stories on there will make you throw your cigs out right now and never look back!
  • DistractedGrace
    Options
    Yep, it's hard, but if I can do it anyone can! I quit smoking 01-22-13, and started back on MFP 21 days ago. Just hang in there, you CAN do this!
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I quit on January 1st of this year, then at the beginning of march I started again on the weekends...I'm wanting to quit again too so I'll definitely help hold you accountable!
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I started MFP at the same time as I quit smoking. The thing that helped me the most was planning my day with MANY low-cal snacks. I knew that I was allowed to eat all of them and would still stay within my calorie goal (that's where the planning comes in), and because there were so many of them I got to feel like I was eating constantly, so I would snack on things whenever I got that urge of boredom or a craving that would normally be satisfied by a smoke.

Some examples of things I ate were rice cakes with PB & banana, veggies and hummus, nuts (carefully measured portions), lots of fruit and veggies in general, TEA!, soups, fruit salad, etc.

Also, if you are craving things like chocolate, DON'T keep them in your house! Buy a small piece and eat that and limit yourself there. Everything is fine in moderation. If I had a larger chocolate bar or snack that I knew I couldn't resist, I would share with my boyfriend or other people to get rid of it faster lol =)

In order to make it possible to eat many small snacks or meals during the day, work on making substitutions that make your delicious recipes more low-cal so that you can eat portions of them without having the calories add up so fast - this will also help you learn things that will make it easier to maintain your weight and habits going forward! If you make a sandwich, have it open-faced (1 slice of bread), use unsweetened almond milk instead of soy milk when baking, if making pasta, sub some of the noodles for filling veggies like brocolli to fill you up faster without the calories.. these types of little things can add up and make a big difference!
  • joy5877
    joy5877 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have smoked for over 30 years and want to quit. I am so worried about gaining the weight back that I lost when I stop. I have been on MFP for almost a year and thought that after I hit that one year mark that I would take on the next challenge of quitting.

If anyone would like to add me so that I can learn from your experience that would be wonderful and VERY much appreciated!
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I started my diet on 2nd Jan. then, once I'd got eating under control on 13 feb (start of Lent) decided it was as good an excuse as any to quit the dreaded weed. Ok, so I still use my leccy cig a few times a day but 1 cartridge lasts me a week ( supposed to be 20 cigs). Oh, and I've been smoking for 41 years! If I can do it you can too - and, I'm not eating any more :) however, to be honest I'm not sure if I could have one it without my nicolites substitute.

I no longer cough, I have way more energy, I've all but stopped using my asthma inhalers and, with a bit of luck I'll see my grandchildren grow up!!

You can do this - If you want to add me as a friend for encouragement please feel free .... Good luck! xx
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Also, I am vegan as well (started pretty recently) so feel free to send me a friend request if you want some extra support =)