Need tough love!!

Options
Ive been having a pity party the last couple of days because I made a weight loss goal for my birthday which is monday, that I know I will not reach. Since Ive come to that realization, I have been doing nothing but feeling sorry for myself and binging. I bought a medium sized bag of pretzel M&Ms and ate the whole dang thing, to the point of total gut rot. This is just so hard, because I feel like Ive stayed focused and steadfast for so long trying to reach my goal, and to not get there is just heartbreaking to me. This weekend was supposed to be one of celebration, now its turning into one of guilt. *sigh***I know there must a lot of you out there who feel my pain on this one. How in the world do I recover??

Replies

• ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Just take one day at a time!! It certainly didn't take you one day to gain the weight and it is hard to lose weight then to gain it. Look how far you have come. This will sound mean, but get your butt up and get your head back in the game. You are a lot more stronger than you are giving yourself credit for. Get over the pity party and start back on this weight lose journey. YOU know you can do this!! You have done it before!
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    It only takes one second to get on track. Decide right this minute that you're not looking back -- you're only going to look forward, take one day at a time, one decision at a time. You can do this!
  • MensEtSalvere2013
    MensEtSalvere2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Have you made a list of reasons why you are on this weight loss journey? I try and keep it in an envelope and read it to remind me of how important this is.
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    It's all about the journey not the time it takes to get there, don't let one bag of treats throw you off. If you enjoyed it great, if you didn't...fine too. Just remember where you want to go and what it takes to get there. Being fit and healthy is harder than being unfit and unhealthy...but so worth it!

If you fall off the wagon...get back on and keep on your path....
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You just don't give up. You were naive to think it was going to be easy. So, now you have learned that lesson and you are on your way. . . . to the next hard lesson.
    You can do it.
  • outscore23
    outscore23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For many years I did the same exact thing. I was so afraid I'd fail that eventually I stopped trying. I finally have come to the realization that even if I am doing something it is better than nothing. You need to know that you have tried your best and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Today I exceeded my calorie intake goal by 200 calories but I am not going to let that stop me from doing what I need to tomorrow. So you didn't hit your goal. That doesn't mean you are not healthier today than you were yesterday. Chin up, do what you know you are capable of and move forward. As I tell my daughter, pull up your big girl panties and keep moving on. Life sucks sometimes, you can either beat it or let it beat you. Don't be a quitter.

Good luck!
  • brownju
    brownju Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I seem to do better if I really think out my plan of attack and all the details. I fantasize about how I will feel, what others might say, how I will be proactive in times of trouble. I dwell on this for days and sometimes even weeks before I actually TRY again. Seems nutty...but the last time I really did this I lasted for 4 months..which was the longest I stuck to anything in the past 11 years. I got off track by not tracking for 3 freaking days...then I tried to get back on in a half *kitten* way and struggled for about 6 months...and now I am here again :) It took not only the first couple of sentences I typed but also my mom dropping off and exercise bike out of the blue. SO WEIRD! Good luck, friend me if you like :)
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys!! I just really needed to get that off my chest. I think the idea of actually writing down my goals on a physical piece of paper is a really great idea. I think tomorrow I will feel tons better!! These are the days when Im really glad I joined this site, I know a lot of you understand how hard and emotional this journey is.
  • JeniFairchild
    JeniFairchild Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I just got back on the "my fitness pal wagon" and it is a struggle for me! Feel free to become my friend and I will do my best to send some support and motivation your way! :flowerforyou:
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    You have made progress! Don't let a bad day define all your days. Birthdays come and go - set the goal for your next one!! :wink:
  • MichaelBrewer2634
    MichaelBrewer2634 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Goal setting is important. But the process, and perspective you have towards goals are far more important. When you set a goal, and you don't reach it, always evaluate what you've done, find out what you are doing wrong, make the adjustments needed, adjust your goal if needed, and continue. Never ever stop moving forward. Failing to meet a goal is not failure. It is an opportunity to learn, and move forward with more knowledge. And as far as perspective goes; it's just one goal missed. Make another, and go for it. You can make as many as you want. Today is the very last day you will ever have to worry about until tomorrow gets here. Start there, do the best you can right now, take action, and create the reality you want for yourself. Visualize where you want to be, and go there. Never stop. Do not quit. These principals will never fail you. Good luck.
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    First -- was the goal a reasonable one? If you set unrealistic goals you're just setting yourself up for failure.

Second -- your birthday is Monday - I assume since you posted this on Tuesday 4/9, that your birthday is 4/15?? And you gave up a couple of days ago -- I assume over the weekend? So how long do you plan on feeling sorry for yourself? The longer you go the more damage you're doing and the more likely you'll just "chuck it"

Stop right now. Plan tomorrow's menu. Forget about setting goals - other than "I'm going to do my best".

No cry babies here!:flowerforyou: