Celiac Disease/gluten intolerance help

Options
Hey guys,

So to make a long story short, I have a sneaking feeling that I may have some form of gluten intolerance. I have 97% of the common symptoms and while I don't want to jump to any conclusions, I figure the easiest way to confirm my intuition is to try cutting gluten out for awhile and see if any of the symptoms go away.

The issue I'm having with this is that there seems to be gluten in E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G.!!!! My boyfriend wanted to get subs today and I wanted to stay away from the bread so I had to find something else instead. Everything I thought of getting, had gluten in it! Chicken pieces (breading), salad (croutons), soup (noodles or thickeners), etc. I ended up getting the salad and just taking the croutons out, but it's still really frustrating. I know this is something that everyone with gluten intolerance has to go through, but it's just like.. AHHH!!!!

The things I've looked at that are made as alternatives to things that generally have gluten in them, are 2-3 times the price of their gluten including cousins! I'm sorry, but I'm poor. I'm on medical leave from work, I get $200 a month for a food budget, I have no savings. So how am I supposed to afford the gluten-free alternatives when I only have $200 a month to feed myself? The $200 already doesn't last the entire month (the last week of the month is always very very tight). It used to last me the whole month, but that was when I bought pre-packaged crap food. Now that I'm buying healthy food, it goes a lot faster.

So I need some help. Recipes? Resources? Tips and tricks? I should probably mention that I don't really eat meat (I make myself eat chicken breast sometimes), I'm mildly lactose intolerant and I'm allergic to seafood. Kind of limits my options >.<

Help?

Replies

• siriuslestrange1
    siriuslestrange1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Please help?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Check this out: http://eatketo.com/category/recipe/

None of these recipes have any grains or gluten of any kind. I'm particularly in love with "Bacon Explosion".

EDIT: Oops, just saw that you don't really eat meat. You might want to ignore that link then.
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you do in fact have a gluten intolerance, picking croutons out of your salad will likely still get you sick. Do some reading about cross-contamination and protect yourself. Sharing utensils, cutting boards, all of it - be careful. Places that make sandwiches in front of you, like Subway, are dangerous because of cross-contamination from the bread into the sandwich fillings.

As for GF life being expensive - it's only expensive if you try to replace everything. GF cereals, breads, (etc) are pricey, so pick and choose. For example, I do like to buy GF bread sometimes (Udi's is great) but I also make my own, which helps save money. Also, GF baked goods tend to be higher in calories, fats, salts, sugars (etc) because the manufacturers need to make the flavour appealing. Choose carefully. You don't have to have a GF version of everything. I find it's better to buy GF cooking ingredients (such as worchestershire sauce) which I can use to make my own food from scratch, which is cheaper and healthier, and GF.

Feel free to PM with any questions. :)
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I would focus on low-cost, quality protein first. Do you eat eggs?
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Get a big bag of dried beans, lentils, and brown rice. Each of them will make a ton of meals.
  • siriuslestrange1
    siriuslestrange1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I do eat eggs, though I usually use egg substitute. I already have the rice and beans covered since I love them. I'm mostly worried about the fact that I read about how gluten is added to so many things, including pills. I have wheat products at least once a day alone, and that's not including the things that have hidden gluten in them >.<
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Gluten is EVERYWHERE. You'll find malt extract in chocolate, wheat starch in soup, fillers in meat products...the list goes on and on. I would recommend the celiac forum (www.celiac.com/gluten-free) as there are a lot of great resources there.
  • CoffeeCriss
    Options
    Don't fall for the gluten-free products. They cost a ton, are full of all sorts of carbs, and are still junk food (gluten-free pizza is just as much junk food as the gluten-full version).

You need to cook your own food. It's the only way to really save money AND know what's in your food. Keep it simple: Protein + veggies or Carb + veggies. Coconut just may become your new best friend—oil, butter, chips, shredded, milk! Make a huge batch of soup for leftovers. Grain free granola is a life saver around here. Non-acidic nuts are great for snacks (almonds and Brazil nuts are my faves). High quality chocolate can feed your sweet tooth (85% or +). Sweet potatoes are a GREAT treat. Chia seed pudding... And... well... eggs.... lots of eggs (I eat 3 eggs for breakfast + a veggie or salad).

I got all my ideas, recipes and support from the Gluten Free Sugar Cleanse. There are tons of sites that you can find with the kind of recipes you're looking for. Support, recipes and a plan are the keys to success. It's a lot of work, but your health is MORE than worth it. You can do it!
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My daughter is gluten, dairy and soy intolerant. Issues with soy knock out about 3/4 of the gluten-free processed foods for us.

In order to not spend a fortune, I have to cook.

I make dried beans, frozen veggies, fresh veggies, eggs, grits, lots of grilled chicken and salads with oil and vinegar dressing.

She eats a good bit of fruit, which gets expensive quickly.

She LOVES pasta, and so we tried a whole lot of them, and the good news is that the cheapest one we found, is also her favorite! Pasta Joy makes brown rice pasta in several different shapes, and they sell it at many Walmart stores (but not all of them).

Because of her dairy/soy issues, and her love for processed mac and cheese (sigh... I really tried to avoid this particular love), we looked for some easy things she could make for herself that would keep her from feeling deprived. We discovered Road's End Organics and I can't recommend them enough! (But not because I think they are good for anyone!) http://www.amazon.com/Roads-End-Organics-Cheddar-1-1-Ounce/dp/B0017SWAAW/ref=sr_1_2?s=grocery&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1365562788&amp;sr=1-2&amp;keywords=Road's+End+Organics+Gluten+Free

It is very expensive to buy their boxed processed foods, but you can buy the powdered "cheese" and use it in all kinds of things. Sometimes I can find it on amazon in a case of 36 for about $.60 cents per envelope... that's cheaper than Kraft mac and cheese, even after I add some pasta!

The way she doctors it to make it taste more like conventional cheese is she adds a couple of tablespoons of goat cheese, which for some reason doesn't seem to upset her stomach. I have found goat cheese at Aldi, for less than 1/2 what it costs everywhere else.

We haven't really found any bread we like much. She eats Udi Cinnamon Raisin bread sometimes, but it is expensive. I just need to learn how to make gluten free bread from scratch. I used to make all of our bread, but I'm really intimidated by gluten free stuff.

Another thing she likes to eat is lunch meat wrapped in lettuce. Once again, I'm not a fan of lunch meat, but it is something she can fix herself. I try to keep lots of fruits and veggies and salad stuff in the fridge and discourage the processed stuff... but it sure is cheaper when she eats the processed foods!

I think we actually have a harder time avoiding the soy than the gluten, though.

Many restaurants have gluten-free menus, so you can check those out before you go out to eat. That also might give you some ideas for things you can fix at home!
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you do in fact have a gluten intolerance, picking croutons out of your salad will likely still get you sick

I don't believe this. I have a gluten intolerance, not celiac disease, and this doesn't bother me.

I eat healthy whole foods most of the time - eggs, dairy, fruit, veggies, potatoes, rice, meat, poultry, etc. Trader Joe's has lower priced gluten free pasta, mac n cheese and breads. I don't eat a lot of that.

Hope that helps. Please feel free to message me if you have any other questions. Oh by the way, soy sauce has gluten as well - never would have known that. Be sure to read lots of food labels :)
  • FatPenguin11
    Options
    I have hardly any money and am gluten intolerant (possibly CD or just severe wheat allergy, that has yet to be determined).

I would not rely too heavily on GF versions of gluten foods. Things like GF cookies, pasta, baked goods, and bread are all expensive, sometimes don't taste that great, and are very processed.

I like to enjoy some GF versions of things, but 80-90% of the time I just try to eat whole foods as much as possible. Fish, nuts, vegetables, fruit, etc.

I can't afford to buy a lot of fancy stuff, but if you go for less processed it oftentimes is cheaper.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be worried about cross contamination until you know how severe this is. Only if you have severe celiac disease would this happen - and if that is the case you would have SEVERE digestive problems and dropping weight like it was nothing.

I would just do your best with what you can do. Stick to things that are naturally gluten free as opposed to things that are gluten substitutes.

Rice, legumes, beans, veggies, millet, quinoa are all reletively inexpensive especially if you can get them in bulk

I'm just curious - why do you use egg substitute? - not that I can think of anything particularly wrong with doing it - i'm just curious its always just weirded me out... lol
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i have to agree with the above comments you just have to put effort into cooking wholesome foods. the easiest way to figure out if you are infact gluten intolerant without paying out the *kitten* for testing is to do a juice cleanse or a juice fast and then add foods back into your diet one at a time to see what triggers your symptoms.
  • amyg007
    amyg007 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It may not be the gluten. I thought that the gluten was bothering me because I had constant stomachaches for years. My sister-in-law has had stomach issues like me forever and she suggested I read the book Wheat Belly. It turns out many of us have trouble digesting the wheat that is processed today. The reason is that it has about 24 chromosomes in it now, whereas 50+ years ago there were only 8. Our bodies have a hard time breaking this down. I have stopped eating wheat almost entirely (hard to pass up a treat once in a while, even when I know I will have a stomachache!). Perhaps give this a try as well eliminating gluten. Wheat Belly also has a cookbook that has many delicious recipes in it. Good luck!
  • ang3li
    ang3li Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey There

As others have advised, stay clear of all the "gluten free" products that you can buy in the supermarket.

Focus on real, whole foods. I would cut out all wheat, grains, and dairy and see if you feel better.

I would suggest doing some research on the Paleo lifestyle and start eating Paleo. It will help you lose a lot weight. Paleo means anything that the caveman use to it - all natural.

Sweet potato, lean meats, loads of veggies and a bit of fruit and nuts.

See you go with that. But def DON'T buy those gluten free products or anything in a box. =)
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I just avoid the wheat and nothing else seems to bother me.
  • heatmack
    heatmack Posts: 29
    Options
    I have a gluten intolerance and I'm lactose intolerant. Eating out is pretty much impossible since gluten is in EVERYTHING!! Soya sauce, teriyaki sauce, the fake crab in the California sushi rolls etc. luckily my husband is a chef and can help but honestly it sucks :( I would rather not eat gluten than have the horrible pain and side effects, so I try to plan, plan, plan. And I bring my favorite non-gluten snacks with me when we are out.

Don't fall for the 'gluten- free' products, they are expensive and are usually made out of high glycemic foods like rice and corn, which is bad for your blood sugar and healthy eating. I eat lots of veggies, fruit, and proteins. I try to eat as clean as possible, and you can do this on a tight budget. Most packaged food has gluten in it, try to stay away from it. Good luck!
  • HikeThatMountain
    Options
    be back in a bit, have to collect some info
  • Meow112
    Meow112 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I understand, it's hard to figure it out at first. I have trouble eating pastas, pizza and tortillas, noodles, I eat them, and I soon get cramps, I get swollen...not like the I just ate 10 cookies chubbiness but I literally swell, my stomach, neck, arms, hands... I pass gas like a 300 lb man ( sorry I know it sounds graphic) I have had to cut out a lot of bread like items, and started cooking out of the eat clean cook book by Tosca Reno.
    I eat rice noodles ( do you guys have a Winco?) or a whole foods market? Or a Henrys?
    My lunches are usually omelettes with spinach an mushroom, my dinners are usually a stir fry ( chicken, broccoli, shredded carrot, shredded zucchini, olive and onion) I also love quinoa.
    I juice every morning but if you don't have a juicer, Greek yogurt with almonds berries and honey are yummy. The more you make your meals, the more creative you can become.
  • Meow112
    Meow112 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It also the eat clean cook book, it something I live out of, and when I eat clean, my stomach feels better, :) and I feel better :)