healthy food ideas to raise caloric intake

I just joined MFP because I have been exercising and not losing weight. I have been trying to change my eating habits lately, but I discovered that I'm not eating enough calories and I guess my body is going into "starvation mode." I eat 3 meals a day plus one or two snacks of healthy things but when they're all added together, I'm lucky if I reach 1000 calories. I can't imagine eating anymore in addition to that because I am already so full. What are some foods that can help me reach my caloric intake goal (which is ideally 1700 for my current weight) but are still healthy?

** side-note:: I can't stand peanut butter and am allergic to avocados which are the 2 main things I am finding when I look around the web.

Replies

• JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Fat is usually the lacking macro when people have a low cal problem... It's easy to over consume, but it's not the enemy.(not a judgment against you, just a common issue) With this in mind, I make the following suggestions in the hopes that it helps :)

ice cream
    cheese
    butter
    coconut oil
    olive oil
    nuts(dunno if your aversion to pb extends to all nuts, if not they're a great source of calories when extra are needed)

If you can't eat it drink it!
    milk
    protein powder
    breakfast type powders(usually are like a multivitamin)
    I use to drink ensure along with a meal

Also- if possible weigh everything that can be weighed and measure the volume of everything else. (at least initially)

edit- all these suggestions are assuming there's not a medical condition that says otherwise of course! :) Good luck.
  • Mharren
    Mharren Posts: 60
    When we want to hike up the caloric intake of patients we do it either by IV feeds or through their diet (in the hospital). A good way to up your caloric intake is to eat food that have more complex proteins and sugars. Carbohydrates are complex sugars that get broken down into smaller and smaller units until they become glucose, which is taken up by the cells in the body. Fats get broken down into fatty acids. Digestion is basically a process of breaking down complex molecules into their smaller components so that they can be take up into the blood stream and then to the cells of the body's tissues.

Picking foods that are carb-heavy will hike your caloric intake significantly. Healthy choices such as whole-wheat pastas and rice will do this very easily. Meat is muscle tissue which is a source of very complex proteins (everything in your body is made of proteins. Molecularly protein means something else than what protein means in health and diet science), so eating a body tissue will mean eating a complex aggregation of proteins that will require quite a bit of work by the body to break down and will render more subunits for uptake.

People seem to avoid meats these days for various reasons, including fears of red meat and the fat content. Lean chicken or fish will hike up your protein yield as well as your calories.

Given the numbers you gave for your calorie intake and what you are aiming for, I suspect that a cup or two of pasta or rice with a small chicken breast will give you a little boost and still be a 'healthy' choice.

All the best,
    - Mharren
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    When we want to hike up the caloric intake of patients we do it either by IV feeds or through their diet (in the hospital). A good way to up your caloric intake is to eat food that have more complex proteins and sugars. Carbohydrates are complex sugars that get broken down into smaller and smaller units until they become glucose, which is taken up by the cells in the body. Fats get broken down into fatty acids. Digestion is basically a process of breaking down complex molecules into their smaller components so that they can be take up into the blood stream and then to the cells of the body's tissues.

Picking foods that are carb-heavy will hike your caloric intake significantly. Healthy choices such as whole-wheat pastas and rice will do this very easily. Meat is muscle tissue which is a source of very complex proteins (everything in your body is made of proteins. Molecularly protein means something else than what protein means in health and diet science), so eating a body tissue will mean eating a complex aggregation of proteins that will require quite a bit of work by the body to break down and will render more subunits for uptake.

People seem to avoid meats these days for various reasons, including fears of red meat and the fat content. Lean chicken or fish will hike up your protein yield as well as your calories.

Given the numbers you gave for your calorie intake and what you are aiming for, I suspect that a cup or two of pasta or rice with a small chicken breast will give you a little boost and still be a 'healthy' choice.

All the best,
    - Mharren
    what makes meat more complex than beans?
    I am an omnivore I just want to hear your response

hiking up calories for people is better to do it with foods with a much lower satiety index.

1. The poster does not have access to an IV line.
    2. If the patient has a problem increasing caloric intake you would choose foods with a lower satiety.
    3. There is nothing wrong with simple sugars such as bananas which does have a lower satiety vs most other fruits
  • Mharren
    Oh dear. I didn't mean to imply that the OP should use an IV line. My bad.

These are some of the guidelines that we follow for patient nutrition. Satiety is gained quicker from ingesting simpler compounds because that are more readily absorbed upon entering the duodenum out of the stomach. The more simple a compound the less it needs to be broken down and the faster it can undergo uptake. So yes, simpler sugars would provide satiety more quickly. The OP - as I understood - commented that they feel 'full' before they can intake their projected calorie intake. A more complex molecule would delay satiety because it would require more time to be broken down in the bowel. And because they are more complex, they have more sub-units to contribute after the digestion process. Sort of like division, a larger number divided by say '2' will take more repetitions of division and provide a greater yield due to the conservation of mass.

What makes meat more complex than beans? That is a good question. A bean is a seed, a single cell, that has not been fertilized. A cut of meat is taken from muscle, a tissue, which is composed of many cells. Again, the digestion/breakdown process will take longer and lead to a greater yield of sub units. Thats not to say that beans could not be a viable substitute for meat, generally you would require more beans than a length of muscle tissue to garner the same yield.

It was not my intention to imply there is anything 'wrong' with simple sugars or more simple compounds, all complex things get broken down into those simpler sub-units. A mix of complex and simple macromolecules is unavoidable and is characteristic of a decent diet.

I mention the IV feed because what is in those are simple sugar and salt solutions that are delivered directly into the blood stream (thus why they need to be simple sugars). They are the sub-units that are derived from foods that move through the bowel, cross the lumen wall, and enter the blood stream. Since we can deliver these directly to the blood stream, we by pass the gastrointestinal tract completely.

When we administer medication we choose a route of administration. The further from the heart or target tissue is the higher the dose tends to be...because the bulk will get lost in the digestion process. When we deliver medications intravenously the dose is relatively small. The digestive tract is a great barrier and is the least efficient method of delivery for any compound, be it food or drug or what have you.

Food that can yield more sub-units is more likely to have those sub-units survive the digestion environment and actually be taken up into the blood stream, than simpler compounds which may get lost mechanically, or become hijacked, or taken up by the gut flora.

Hopefully that made a little more sense.

Cheers,
    - Mharren
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Oh dear. I didn't mean to imply that the OP should use an IV line. My bad.

These are some of the guidelines that we follow for patient nutrition. Satiety is gained quicker from ingesting simpler compounds because that are more readily absorbed upon entering the duodenum out of the stomach. The more simple a compound the less it needs to be broken down and the faster it can undergo uptake. So yes, simpler sugars would provide satiety more quickly. The OP - as I understood - commented that they feel 'full' before they can intake their projected calorie intake. A more complex molecule would delay satiety because it would require more time to be broken down in the bowel. And because they are more complex, they have more sub-units to contribute after the digestion process. Sort of like division, a larger number divided by say '2' will take more repetitions of division and provide a greater yield due to the conservation of mass.

What makes meat more complex than beans? That is a good question. A bean is a seed, a single cell, that has not been fertilized. A cut of meat is taken from muscle, a tissue, which is composed of many cells. Again, the digestion/breakdown process will take longer and lead to a greater yield of sub units. Thats not to say that beans could not be a viable substitute for meat, generally you would require more beans than a length of muscle tissue to garner the same yield.

It was not my intention to imply there is anything 'wrong' with simple sugars or more simple compounds, all complex things get broken down into those simpler sub-units. A mix of complex and simple macromolecules is unavoidable and is characteristic of a decent diet.

I mention the IV feed because what is in those are simple sugar and salt solutions that are delivered directly into the blood stream (thus why they need to be simple sugars). They are the sub-units that are derived from foods that move through the bowel, cross the lumen wall, and enter the blood stream. Since we can deliver these directly to the blood stream, we by pass the gastrointestinal tract completely.

When we administer medication we choose a route of administration. The further from the heart or target tissue is the higher the dose tends to be...because the bulk will get lost in the digestion process. When we deliver medications intravenously the dose is relatively small. The digestive tract is a great barrier and is the least efficient method of delivery for any compound, be it food or drug or what have you.

Food that can yield more sub-units is more likely to have those sub-units survive the digestion environment and actually be taken up into the blood stream, than simpler compounds which may get lost mechanically, or become hijacked, or taken up by the gut flora.

Hopefully that made a little more sense.

Cheers,
    - Mharren
    I understand about the basics of TPN and the functions of the human body. You are going into details that are irrelevant to the satiety index and the simpler compounds of nothing to do with it.

A bean is a seed that is a single cell?

I did not talk about the bean I am talking about the amino acid profile of the protein which woudl make it more complex. That has nothing to do with it.
    What you just compared it to is that is tissue to a "single cell". You are going into terminology that has nothing to do with helping the poster increase their caloric intake.

Speaking of the whole "broken down in the bowel" comment.
    Fats have a much longer digestion rate than carbohydrates. At the same time peanuts do not deliver as much satiety, even if they are composed of many different micronutrients.

You are explaining the sceince of absorption and IV access which doesnt make as much sense to me

IV Access was not meant due to the digestive system
    I am not sure if you really are a doctor, but the purpose of delivering durgs IV is due to the speed of the administration of drugs.
    If the patients airway is blocked most likely their will be experience blockage in their esophagus and not be able to take drugs, On top of that if they have lost level of consciousness they will not be able to ingest any form of medication even if you do somehow shove medications into their stomach it will still take 30-40 minutes for them to digest it if they arent into hypovolemic shock and their body decides not to have any GI function.

The IV access is not because the person eating will not be able "to absorb all the medication"
  • Mharren
    I posted what I thought would be helpful with as adequate an explanation as I thought I could provide. You disagree and are clearly quite critical of my contribution and I'm not sure if you are intending to be hostile. My attempts to provide grounds for the relatively behind the reasoning do not seem to have been successful. I will refrain from adding further.

Good luck to the OP.

Cheers,
    - Mharren
  • I suspect your perception of what is healthy could be leading you astray. A lot of people get caught up trying to avoid dietary fat because theres a perception that it is unhealthy, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Foods high in fat are great for your health and very dense in calories. First of all, if you are buying any low fat products, switch to the regular versions, they taste better and are higher in calories. It's too bad you don't like peanut butter as it is great for adding calories, but cashew and almond butters could be substituted if you don't mind those. Any kind of nuts are calorie rich and good for your health. Another thing to try is extra virgin olive oil, you can add it to many savoury foods.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    My contribution is simply..

Nuts.

That's all I got right now.. My head hurts from reading this lol.

I hope you figure something out, I too have issues with keeping my cals up there without eating junk.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member

Nuts.
    My head hurts from reading this lol.
    I too have issues with keeping my cals up there without eating junk.

3d9.png
  • kimmykailani
    kimmykailani Posts: 14 Member
    Thanks everyone. All of these (well most of it) was really helpful. I am still trying to learn which foods are truly healthy and how to evenly balance my diet. Before I joined this site all I kept hearing was "vegetables are your friend" "just eat vegetables" but I'm discovering that it is really freaking difficult to eat 1700 calories worth of them. I appreciate all the help!

**Edit: I just took my measurements and I have lost about half and in to an inch in most areas, even without very many pounds dropped so that is great motivation to keep trying and get this right!
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member

Nuts.
    My head hurts from reading this lol.
    I too have issues with keeping my cals up there without eating junk.

Riiiiiiiight

3d9.png

Riiiiight;-)
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Nut butters
    Avocado
    Coconut
    Seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, etc).

And I love a good smoothie - pro powder, some fresh fruit and water or some type of milk if you need to bump up your cals. Add flax or chia seeds :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Nuts have lots of cals and are good for you. So does cheese. So...

Brie-with-Spiced-Honey-and-Walnuts-Recipe.jpg
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    bacon
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Dried fruit can give you a calorie boost--just make sure to buy the kind without added sugar and make sure to measure it since it's so calorie dense. It's also portable so great for an on-the-go snack :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Nuts
    Olive oil
    Cheese
    Full fat Greek yogurt
    A few crackers or oat cakes with a wedge of cheese
    Dressing on your salad (virgin olive oil, Balsamic and oregano is nice)
    Rice cake topped with cheese and ham

Have a peek at my diary if you like!

Zara.

Oh I make home made trail mix... Nuts, chocolate drops and dries fruit. That was incredibly calorie dense and delicious!
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Greek yogurt, mmm
    Granola
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    ice cream
    cheese
    butter
    coconut oil
    olive oil
    nuts(dunno if your aversion to pb extends to all nuts, if not they're a great source of calories when extra are needed)

If you can't eat it drink it!
    milk
    protein powder
    breakfast type powders(usually are like a multivitamin)

OP asks for "healthy food ideas," first response is ice cream. I like the way you think.
  • NUTS!! NUTS!! I recommed almond, flax, or even peanuts...just don't have the salted ones
  • sgtlee13
    sgtlee13 Posts: 66

Nuts.

That's all I got right now.. My head hurts from reading this lol.

I hope you figure something out, I too have issues with keeping my cals up there without eating junk.

made me laugh :)))

absolutely nuts! not you, what you should add. :)
    or seeds...I've been having a problem with meeting calorie levels also...my favorite snack is a combination I made of raw cashews, raw sunflower seeds and goji berries. about a 1:1:1 mix depending on your tastes. good protein, good fiber, good antioxidants, filling and yummy. i also put together a homemade protein bar which is easy and can be as calorie dense as you want it to be. I use oats, golden raisins, dried cranberries, raw sunflower seeds, raw pumpkin seeds, almond butter, coconut milk, freshly ground cinnamon and ginger. add whatever you want to get a decent flavor and consistency and plug everything into the recipe tool on here to figure out the calorie/serving.

good luck!