Biking

Options
I am new to biking and really enjoy it, could I get some people here to add as friends, to kind of pick their brains and ask rookie questions??

Replies

• fitnessfreddie
    fitnessfreddie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Anyone??
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Anyone??

I love bikes! I ride mountain and road bike, a hybrid actually, I love tearing through the hood and I need a bike that can handle some rough roads
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Freddayyy.

I would join you. But, I have had suchhh bad luck with bikes. I got my bike stole 3 times within the span of five months. Gotten into 2 bike accidents within 3 weeks - and sprained the same ankle. No luck at all. I live in a biking community haha. So, bike robberies and bike accidents are common.
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I can't answer any questions but I am hoping you find some bike gurus because I plan to get a new bike and start pedaling my way to a smaller size as soon as I have enough money to get the bike I want!
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I love cyling! What type of riding do you do? I only ride road and I will help with any questions I can!

Enjoy the ride!
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    Feel free to add me, am able to give some fun interval workouts to switch things up a bit. Most of my riding is contained to indoor bike right now but the workouts would be more fun outside.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Check the MFP groups. I am sure there are loads of biking groups you could join.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Really just got back into cycling after a long hiatus but pick away.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    <<--- see profile ;)
  • blodk66
    blodk66 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have recently started and I love it, can't answer many questions though as I am learning too. Sorry :ohwell:
  • KansasRider
    KansasRider Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I live and breath bikes! I do rd and mtn. And play with cyclocross
  • fitnessfreddie
    fitnessfreddie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a single speed road bike because I live in chicago with 0 hills so no need for gears IMO, But I was curious as to how much the weight of the frame actually changes how fast you can go, and are those super skinny tires worth it to replace the stock tires?? Heres a link to the bike I have, its nothing fancy but gets me from A to B.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias=aps&amp;field-keywords=takara+kabuto&amp;sprefix=takara+ka,aps,174&amp;rh=i:aps,k:takara+kabuto
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have a single speed road bike because I live in chicago with 0 hills so no need for gears IMO, But I was curious as to how much the weight of the frame actually changes how fast you can go,

The advantage of lighter weight is more significant in climbing - not much so on flats. But I don't have the knowledge of exactly how much faster one can go... IMO Frameset is just part of the ball game, consider wheelset and components too. Eg can shave a lot say switching from a 1800g wheelset to 1500g. However, some people (me included) believe losing weight is a better and more economical way to climb faster - there is only so much you can save weight on the bike and it gets more and more (insanely) expensive as the bike get lighter.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    here are a couple of groups that may be useful to join...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3764-century-plus-cycling - don't worry it's not compulsory to ride ludicrous distances :wink:

and

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/344-bicycling-road-and-mountain
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    you have 0 hills.... ouch:sad:
    I live near the peak district and love pedalling up hills.....mainly cos i can go really fast down the other side:laugh:
  • marcussb
    marcussb Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey I cycle.. quite a lot , what do you want to know ?? skinny tyres yes get them and make sure they are at the right pressure i run mine at about 100psi and it decreases the rolling resistance so you roll faster straight away. single speeds are great just ensure you are spinning the pedals comfortably rather than too fast, if you are your burning more calories at a slower speed as as you get faster your heart rate rises and you end up in cardio territory rather than calorie burning territory .
    Most of all enjoy the riding !!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Ride the bike you like! With that said, there are advantages to having different gears ... Your body will work best at approximately 75-90 rpms (pedal revolution per minute), good cardio work out and good muscle work out. On your single speed initially you may not be there and be more big muscles, but low on the cardio. As you get stronger you will be more on the cardio and not so much on the muscles. So what is wrong with this ... if you are having fun nothing. As far as I'm concerned there are 3 rules for riding and they are:

1) Ride your bike
    2) Ride your bike
    3) Ride your bike

I am, however, a gear head ... I have 7 bikes and I love talking about them all. My last bike I built myself and it is currently my favorite. So add me if you like and I'll answer anything I can. Send a note with your friend request.