anyone heard of the potato diet?

Options
Hi,

Just heard from a lady today about the potato diet and was curious to see if anyone has ever heard of tried it before? It's very restrictive and cuts sugar completely from your diet. It also promotes drinking lots of warm or hot beverages with every meal, especially hot tea. this lady lost 70 pounds in a period of 6 months. There's a whole natural science behind it and I'm trying to find out about it online but not very much.

Replies

• skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    Never heard of it but I can say this much. Unless you want to do that forever, I wouldn't recommend it. The minute you stop, all that weight will probably come right back, possibly even worse. Its best and healthiest to just lose weight slowly through eating well & exercising.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    There's a whole natural science behind it ....

There's a *kitten* load of science behind everything if you look hard enough...
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    There's a whole natural science behind it ....

There's a *kitten* load of science behind everything if you look hard enough...

^ THIS.
    For every study I find saying one thing, I can easily go back & find something that disproves it. Its a never ending cycle.
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    Never heard of it but I can say this much. Unless you want to do that forever, I wouldn't recommend it. The minute you stop, all that weight will probably come right back, possibly even worse. Its best and healthiest to just lose weight slowly through eating well & exercising.

What she said.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    Fad diet is a fad.

calories in vs calories out. Just stick with eating at a deficit. It doesn't mater what you eat (much). Some cardio to build stamina and some strength training to make sure the weight lost doesn't come from muscles...
  • DatProtein
    Options
    This sounds like a fad diet, which is never a good idea. There is only one way to lose weight, and that is to consume less calories than you burn. It doesn't matter whether you are on the potato diet, aitkens diet, south beach diet, andy kind of diet, the only thing that matters is your total caloric intake and calories burned.

The potato diet could work if it reduces your calorie intake, but unless you particularly enjoy potatoes, there isn't much point to it, you could achieve the exact same results eating any foods which came to the same calorie total.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options

. There's a whole natural science behind it

Shocked-cat-reaction.gif

best to just eat in moderation at a caloric deficit and lose weight safely, do something that you can do for the rest of your life not a Fad. Best of luck to you.
  • twinkychops
    twinkychops Posts: 228 Member
    Options

what she said! You'd feel very rough eating potatoes all the time
  • thomas127
    thomas127 Posts: 32
    Options
    If you lost weight on it you wouldn't be eating many potatoes. They're very thick in carbs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    does it include buttery mashed potato with cheese on top? if so, count me in!!!!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    If you lost weight on it you wouldn't be eating many potatoes. They're very thick in carbs.

So, are carbs EVIL? I have eatten either white or Sweet Potatoes 4-5 times a week and I have lost a bit of weight. The problem isnt the carbs its the fad diet. Everything in moderation.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    The 20 potatoes a day thing?

Yeah, it's been knocking around for a while.

It did work to promote weight loss and improve general health markers. Much as I love potatoes I don't think I could stomach that amount for any length of time though.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

. There's a whole natural science behind it

Shocked-cat-reaction.gif

best to just eat in moderation at a caloric deficit and lose weight safely, do something that you can do for the rest of your life not a Fad. Best of luck to you.

I love this kitty!

I do mashed potato with butter, milk and cheese, sounds like a winner to me!
  • Chrisgrz
    Chrisgrz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm of Irish descent... (Grandfather is 100%) And despite my love for all types of starchy tubes I wouldn't recommend it. Now a diet rich in Haggis, I could get behind that.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    If I can bake them and fill them with anything I want I'm in.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    bodgerandbadger_1_396x222.jpg

Mashed potatooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Potatoes and tea??? Sounds like your everyday irish diet. Lol. I eat potatoes and tea everyday, and bread and meat and cheese and veg and fruit! Seriously though I've never heard of it. Limiting yourself to any one/two food groups is very hard physically and mentally. Why do it to yourself? You can't stay on that diet forever and when you come off it you'll have to start eating healthily including all food groups and exercising if you want to continue losing weight or even just keep it off. Why not just start doing that now? Eat all food groups (unless you have an intolerance etc). Eat things that you enjoy! Do not cut out your favourite foods because you think they are bad for you. Moderation is key. Just be sensible. Try to eat as healthily as you can. Create a realistic and manageable deficit through food and exercise. In 6 months you will look and feel amazing and so much stronger for doing it sensibly. Anyway good luck with whatever you decide to do. :smile:
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    What an awful diet.
    Eating just potatoes will no way give you enough protein. If say you are on 1500 cals a day you will barely get 30gr of protein from potatoes, effectively starving your muscles. You will always lose weight on a deficit but you will lose LOADS of muscle and end up skinny fat on such a bad diet.

Unless you specifically want to lose muscle mass you MUST eat at least 1 gr of protein per lb of lean body weight. (good starting point is to hit at least 150 grams a day.

A Low protein diet is going to ravage your body. To extreme this can be hair loss, bloating, lowered immune system and generally feeling pretty dam low in energy.

Best avoid
  • IFlover90
    IFlover90 Posts: 62
    Options
    You can tehnically live off only potatoes and milk alone. Interesting, huh?
  • eag264
    eag264 Posts: 116
    Options
    lol, you don't actually have to eat 20 potatoes a day, it cuts all other forms of carbs except potatoes...as well as all sugar, diary, and red meat.

I do agree though, fads are bad and it'll do more hard than good in the long term.