Gluten Intolerance or IBS?!

Options
About 3 years ago I went to the doctor for what I considered IBS. No tests were ran (is there even a test for IBS?) but my doctor agreed that based on my symptoms, "it sounds like ibs". I was RX'd Bentyl ((Dicyclomine) that basically re-synced my colon and I haven't had as severe of symptoms since. (week-12 day constipation which then turned into non stop diarrhea).

Fast forward to now. I take an acidophilus with probiotics and a B-complex every day. I drink plenty of water. However, whenever I eat reheated pasta, leftover pizza, white bread I am in SERIOUS pain within a couple hours after eating. My stomach bloats and its very noticeable and I have gas that hurts like no other. I will massage my abdomen and get on my hands & knees to try to relieve pain. It often helps a little but usually lasts a few hours. I can eat jasmine rice & fresh cooked noodles OK. I don't seem to have a problem there. There have been a couple instances after eating the noodles that I've had problems. I usually have a bowel movement every day (personally I don't feel its enough?), sometimes I will go 2-3 without movement.

Based on experience, without going to the dr, does this sound like IBS or a possible Gluten intolerance? Any tips or suggestions to maybe experiment?

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I don't really have an answer for you, but I'll share my experience. I've had digestive issues for as long as I can remember. As a kid, I was told by some doctors that I "faking" or had a "nervous stomach." Eventually, I was given the "diagnosis" of IBS. Basically, they couldn't figure out what was wrong, so I guess that was all that was left. I cut out gluten about five years ago at the suggestion of a naturopath and I haven't had any huge digestive flare ups like I used to. Every now and then I will eat gluten and I get all gassy and am in intense pain. It's not fun, so I try to avoid it. If you feel better without eating gluten (or anything else for that matter), then by all means, don't eat it! However, I'm not sure why reheated pasta or leftover pizza would cause your symptoms but freshly made pizza or pasta would not. (I'm assuming it's the same ingredients?)
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor. I have an stomach pain after eating gluten and I understand it can be quite common. If I don't eat it, I have no issues with pain. But that's just my experience.

You really should ask your doctor. There is a test they can do to rule out celiac which should be done while you still include gluten in your diet. From what I've read, it isn't accurate if you've already eliminated gluten. You might want to ask your doctor about the test.
  • terricol
    terricol Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have suffered with IBS for over 15 years, the first thing my gp said to me was to cut out the following. Tea, Coffee, Coke, Onion and Garlic. (Tea, coffee and Coke because of caffeine,) I have since found that Onion is a trigger for me so now I avoid it at all costs. Once you have gut these out then re introudcue them 1 a month and see what it could be. this is only from my experiences as i don't work in the medical industry.
    Do you write a food diary?
    Good luck and seek medical advice if still in doubt.
  • terricol
    terricol Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    sorry forgot to mention that now i drink de caff tea and coke. Peppermint is good for calming the stomach too.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    People with gluten intolerance or Celiacs are commonly misdiagnosed as having IBS. I was and was on Bentyl as well. I did tests and I came up with no gluten insensitivity or celiacs and doctors are still uneducated on both.
    What I would do is cut it out of your diet for at LEAST 1-3 months and then slowly add it back in. If your body freaks out then you know it is the culprit. I have done so much better since I cut it out of my diet in November and I can tell when some sneaks in my diet. Good luck!
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    There's nothing nutritionally bad about avoiding gluten containing foods. There are plenty of gluten-free alternatives (without buying "special" gluten-free bread products, which I've found are mostly less than wonderful - GF pasta is OK, but cooking is more challenging - about 5 seconds cooking time between crunchy and mush). It would not hurt to try it for several months and see if you feel better. That said, you may have other "trigger" foods as well, so it is frequently a matter of trial and error to see what foods work and which result in "insult". Plan a time to start when you don't have any required social occasions coming up (hard to say no to things like birthday or wedding cake until you have a better idea that they really are bad for you).
  • titanbonnie
    Options
    Ever heard of Herbal Formulas? Go get you some Black walnut hull and olive leaf drops/may want to take an adrenal support also! Sure to help your IBS. Trust me I was in ER twice when I didn't know what was going on.
  • mmccliment
    Options
    I have Celiac Disease and your symptoms sound very much like what many of suffer when ingesting gluten. IBS is a symptom, not a diagnosis. I had doctors tell me that for years before my biopsy. As stated above, if you want to get tested for Celiac you must keep eating gluten so the test results are accurate. If not, I would agree try GF (gluten free) on your own (or with help from celiac forums).