How do you stay full?

Options
Hi there,
I am semi-new to this website. I am trying to figure out how to stay FULL. I have decided that I am increasing my protein intake. I have upped my protein to 94 grams per day, 42 grams for fat, and 188 grams for carbohydrates. I also am planning to take in around 30 grams of fiber (25-30 ideally).
I am realizing that I am becoming some bottomless pit and I would like to be more balanced so I do not end up overeating with a spoon and a jar of peanut butter. ;)

Any kind advice is welcomed!

Replies

• ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Some of the "tricks" that helped me in the first weeks of eating with a calorie deficit, instead of the huge surplus I used to have.

1. Water, drink lots and lots of water. It fills your stomach, sending the "full" signal to your brain.

2. HUGE salads. I will eat an extra large salad before my meal. Not with my meal, but before I even have my dinner in front of me. This has helped me overeat less during my evening meal, which was my major fail point.

3. Cooking my own meals, no diet frozen dinners or prepackaged crap. Firstly, these aren't very healthy for you. Secondly, it is easy to modify your favorite recipes to make them lower in calories. Reduce the amount of oil, butter, substitute pasta for spaghetti squash, mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes, etc.

4. Eat slowly. It takes time for your brain to realize you are full, about 10 minutes if i recall correctly.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    4 cups of veggies a day with olive oil
    Some kind of bean dish
    Protein
    Apples and other fresh fruit
    A slice of Whole Foods whole grain bread
    1 avocado
    1-2 tablespoons Marantha peanut butter
    Nuts and seeds
    Muesli
    A little chocolate
    Lotsa water
  • Finding_Freedom
    Options
    These are great ideas! Thank you for the suggestions and time you took to write it out.

Any other ideas?
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are already doing the right things. Increasing fiber and protein will help. Make sure your carb sources are natural. Processed carbs will cause a quick rise and then fall of blood sugar which can trigger hunger and cravings. I also like to fast for short periods of time. While I get hungry while fasting, once the fasting period is over I can eat larger quantities for the remainder of the day and stay full.
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    I try my best to stay away from frozen, preprocessed meals... The little 250 calorie meals you throw in the microwave are full of salt and not much else and I'm starving after an hour...

I always eat protein and drink lots of water and I'm rarely hungry unless its my designated meal times.... But I do have days where I starve all day and I try to just drink lots of milk which seems to help calm that down and munch on chicken
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Increase protein and fibre really helps!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't have to stay full. You shouldn't be stomach rumbling uncomfortably hungry all day but feeling like you're full isn't even something you need to feel after a meal. Eating to the point of full is usually over eating.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    You don't have to stay full. You shouldn't be stomach rumbling uncomfortably hungry all day but feeling like you're full isn't even something you need to feel after a meal. Eating to the point of full is usually over eating.

I need to remind myself of that! I don't needa stuff myself till I wanna throw up. Although at night I tend to feel that way. I feel like it's something more emotional then physical.
  • keepsakesbyconny
    keepsakesbyconny Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I snack or eat every 3hours.... found this helps control my binge eating. Grant it they are healthy snacks in between my meals. Grapes, apple or orange, protein bar, fruit cup!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    As others have said, lots of protein, fiber, and water. I eat a ton of veggies, egg whites, fish, and chicken. Keep in mind though, you shouldn't be hungry. If you are, then you're doing something wrong. (ie. not eating enough or not eating the right things.)
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I snack or eat every 3hours.... found this helps control my binge eating. Grant it they are healthy snacks in between my meals. Grapes, apple or orange, protein bar, fruit cup!

This too! I usually eat every four hours (I find this is most important for the afternoon - it's not that I'm eating every 4 hours around the clock), even if it's just an apple. I find that if I reach the four hour mark and I'm not hungry, then I will be famished by the time dinner rolls around two hours later, and that's also when I get into trouble! So I try my best to force myself to eat something, even if it's just a piece of fruit.
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    Tons of crystal lite and mio with my gallons of water. Also i find hot (not spicy) foods like soup tend to keep me more satiated.
  • floodedlungs
    Options
    I drink a lot of water.
    But I don't really stay full, I just don't mind being hungry - I can fill up at the next meal and I should wait until then.
  • amandanilo
    amandanilo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I am semi-new to this website. I am trying to figure out how to stay FULL. I have decided that I am increasing my protein intake. I have upped my protein to 94 grams per day, 42 grams for fat, and 188 grams for carbohydrates. I also am planning to take in around 30 grams of fiber (25-30 ideally).
    I am realizing that I am becoming some bottomless pit and I would like to be more balanced so I do not end up overeating with a spoon and a jar of peanut butter. ;)

Any kind advice is welcomed!

When I'm really hungry around dinner, I put together vegetable broth, chopped carrots, and some brown rice. You wouldn't believe how full I am after a bowl of that. They have low sodium vegetable broth (I prefer Swanson). It sounds bland, but I'm a huge fan! My mom used to make it for me when I was sick (but with chicken broth) and I loved it.

I just try to eat every two hours..just something little. a piece of fruit...then a yogurt...some carrots...and lots of water!