Obsessional exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• gabiinacio
    gabiinacio Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week with 3 days being 90minutes and 3 days at 60mins. I only have one rest day which is Sunday, however I listen to my body if I'm just not up to it, I'll take two days off instead sometimes even three. Not in a row, but do what feels right for you. Sometimes I feel selfish because I work a 8-5 full time job, get my kids, go straight to the gym, the kids stay in the gym daycare, then I go home. I feel like I'm not giving enough time for my kids, but I also need to get in shape and have "ME" time. I spent 6 years not doing anything for myself, so its much deserved. In your case, I would start out slow maybe 3 days a week and see how you feel. If you dont want to work out 6-7 days then maybe you could increase the 3 days you workout for example do 60-90minutes on those three days, idk just my two cents.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    The OP says it made her ill.

That negates anybody else's comments saying it's perfectly normal for them.

You exercise and then you rest so the good can come from the work. If you keep exercising, you don't give your body the chance to improve.

So, you treat a rest as being an activity. It isn't doing nothing, it's healing, getting stronger, dealing with any germs you might have breathed in the day before. It's strengthening, using any excess fat, it is the time your body works hardest.

And then you repay your body for working hard on an active or a repair day - maybe that's what we should call them - REPAIR DAYS - by eating well.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I dont think an hour a day 7 days a week is obsessive at all.

This^^^

I work out for at least one hour every single day. That is not obsession, that is how humans are meant to live. We are supposed to be fit and active all day long. People nowadays think being sedentary is perfectly normal, and it's not. I blame the modern age; culture, civilization, etc...we no longer have to physically hustle for our food, most of us i.e hunt, garden/gather, and so on. Many of us have jobs where we have to sit or be otherwise inactive all day. To help compensate for that, we should exercise/move every day on our free time.

I know people who watch and keep up with several TV shows...this means they watch televison for hours every single day! No one ever calls that obsession LOL.
  • cynthiatwayne
    Options
    It really is a matter of personal state of mind. I work out a lot and found that for me the best way to deal with my workouts is to follow a very specific training plan with a goal in mind (a half marathon, a full marathon, etc) which incorporates running, cross training, weight lifting and follow the plan for the day. If the plan says rest, I rest (one total rest day a week). If the plan has an easy day, I run easy, cross training, yep I do that, long run, etc. It helps that I had my plan custom made by one of the best running coaches in the country (in my opinion) because for me if I spend money on something, it makes me more accountable to it.

Maybe talk to a trainer or another fitness professional if you can to work on a plan that incorporates activity in a healthy manner allowing for rest days and follow the plan. Post it where you can see it (mine hangs in my office at eye level) and its a constant reminder of what is the activity of the day/week/etc.

Good luck!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If you are afraid of it taking over your life again I suggest doing just 30 minutes of exercise 3 days a week first thing in the morning. Then don't think about it anymore after that. Also since your exercise made you ill perhaps you should try knocking down the intensity a bit. For example, if you were walking at 4.5 miles an hour, try walking at just 3 miles an hour. Or whatever, whatever exercise you do reduce the intensity and then you shouldn't get sick. Pushing yourself over your current fitness level is bound to make anyone sick. Work out at a pace/level that matches your current state of physical fitness.
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Make a calendar for the month and schedule your workouts INCLUDING rest days and then X them out when done. I also am "all or nothing type" So this is what I do and it works for me. If it's scheduled I do it and if it's a rest day scheduled that's what I do! I have just lately been having a hard time taking a rest day but our bodies do need it!
  • shellux
    shellux Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Haven't finished reading all the posts yet but thought I should add that I look at is as an obsession because I feel so guilty if I don't do it to the point of being really miserable. I am a single parent and work full time and don't have that much spare time so I constantly struggle with my conscience and I don't enjoy exercise but I know I should do it.
  • divasj
    divasj Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Take walks with your child(ren). Go out and play with them if you can. make what you do fun so that you do not burn your self out.
  • shellux
    shellux Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I offended anyone with this post. It is personal to me not intended to cause offence.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I only ever lose weight on my rest days. ;^) Gives me a reason to rest so I can step back on the scale!
  • nothingwithoutHim
    nothingwithoutHim Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just realized I never posted the article. DOH. Here it is, if you are still interested. http://www.thegreatfitnessexperiment.com/2012/11/8-tips-for-overcoming-an-exercise-addiction-from-a-girl-whos-living-it.html
  • Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I dont think an hour a day 7 days a week is obsessive at all.

I think the bigger issue was the "Stupid O'Clock" time of said excercise
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Just realized I never posted the article. DOH. Here it is, if you are still interested. http://www.thegreatfitnessexperiment.com/2012/11/8-tips-for-overcoming-an-exercise-addiction-from-a-girl-whos-living-it.html

That's a great article, thanks for sharing!