fat hating... what do you think of these two?

Options
13»

Replies

• neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I think they make some very valid points, though their delivery may leave a bit to be desired.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I'M CURVY
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Derp_zps911f8db2.gif
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Gotcha!

Well...I don't know that I wholeheartedly agree with the article. However, some of it does ring true. Every action has a reaction. Eating a bunch of junk and gluing your butt to the couch will sometimes make you alot more...giggly.

On the other hand, and I'm not sure about AU...but in US...it's a big problem that no one seems to want to get to the root of.

Instead of educating, lets propose a tax on soda and junk food. Let's regulate what's in our McDonalds happy meals. Let's criticize the fat people but not give them tools. Let's take away recess and study for state proficiency exams. The younger generation is so dumb when it comes to nutrition. I've even come across people my own age (and I'm 26) that don't know how to read a label. I have been with people that complain they are so fat...but have no idea how that entire loaf of italian bread they eat every day is contributing to their weight. It's bread right? It should be healthy...it's a grain. Oh...I ate a salad, that's healthy. Nevermind the triple packs of ranch you just poured on there. There is such a lack of education with nutrition that I've just become quiet about the subject. In a nutshell...I can't criticize fat people when our own system failed to properly educate on the importance of exercise and nutrition.

People can educate themselves if they want to. The government should teach me/feed me/tell me what to think attitude is what makes us overweight TV zombies
  • AIZZO4
    AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I follow the philosophy of E.L.E. (Everybody Love Everybody). I hate on nobody. Fat, skinny, in shape, etc. I love the different shapes that we come in. For my people that work out and stay in shape. I am proud of you keep up. You are my inspiration. For my fellow big/fat people, let’s work hard to get to where we need to be.

I would see my friends on Facebook post things like "only a dog wants a bone." I would think to myself, if someone said something about your size, you would be all upset, so why would you do it? I don't judge people. I have no right to judge people.

Yes we all have excuses, why we can't lose weight, why we can't be faithful, why we can't stop smoking, why we can't stop drinking. The difference is people are willing to give you a pass on the other things, but not weight. I had excuses some BS some real. Once I got one of my issues taking care of, the light switch clicked on and now I can't wait to get to the gym.

Call me a hippie, liberal or whatever they label me with these days but I say no one should hate on anyone.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Gotcha!

Well...I don't know that I wholeheartedly agree with the article. However, some of it does ring true. Every action has a reaction. Eating a bunch of junk and gluing your butt to the couch will sometimes make you alot more...giggly.

On the other hand, and I'm not sure about AU...but in US...it's a big problem that no one seems to want to get to the root of.

Instead of educating, lets propose a tax on soda and junk food. Let's regulate what's in our McDonalds happy meals. Let's criticize the fat people but not give them tools. Let's take away recess and study for state proficiency exams. The younger generation is so dumb when it comes to nutrition. I've even come across people my own age (and I'm 26) that don't know how to read a label. I have been with people that complain they are so fat...but have no idea how that entire loaf of italian bread they eat every day is contributing to their weight. It's bread right? It should be healthy...it's a grain. Oh...I ate a salad, that's healthy. Nevermind the triple packs of ranch you just poured on there. There is such a lack of education with nutrition that I've just become quiet about the subject. In a nutshell...I can't criticize fat people when our own system failed to properly educate on the importance of exercise and nutrition.

People can educate themselves if they want to. The government should teach me/feed me/tell me what to think attitude is what makes us overweight TV zombies

Oh ya, the government is part of my gripe. I should be able to do what I want...but it's astonishing how many people stuff their faces and literately don't know what they're eating. I blame alot on our school system...which would in turn create educated adults, which would be passed on and on and on... Kids don't get a nutritional meal or recess half the time (at least where I grew up). I never EVER had a class in school on healthy eating . We had ONE health class in elementary school, PE was dwindled to a semester in a year in high school. I can't entirely blame my dad (he grew up with dirt floor poor depression era parents that ate lard sandwiches.) But as a whole, I think we need to educate more. Everyone is absolutely encouraged to educate themselves, but more often than not...we don't do ever anything until we find ourselves too big too late.
  • irishrose22
    irishrose22 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I love how this turned into hating on skinny people...clearly thats what the article is all about. The truth is, if you are truly happy with yourself inside and out, you really have hurt yourself to hate on anyone. Hate stems from jealousy, insecuritities, or many other unhealthy issues. People who are truly happy don't make arguments like this. The article has some truth in it and no reason to sugar coat why most people are fat. There is a way to be direct and to the point without hurting others feelings, no matter what their size.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I only see skinny bashing when some chick who is obviously fit and knows it (by the many half naked photos on her profile) comes in and goes "I am so fat. I hate myself. Please shower me with comments about how hot I really am. Also, to help speed things along, here is a photo of me in a bikini this morning making a sad face in the mirror." Feel bad yet?

Everyone has fat days..but not everyone is attention whorish about it. Those are the skinny chicks I can't stand.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I follow the philosophy of E.L.E. (Everybody Love Everybody). I hate on nobody. Fat, skinny, in shape, etc. I love the different shapes that we come in. For my people that work out and stay in shape. I am proud of you keep up. You are my inspiration. For my fellow big/fat people, let’s work hard to get to where we need to be.

I would see my friends on Facebook post things like "only a dog wants a bone." I would think to myself, if someone said something about your size, you would be all upset, so why would you do it? I don't judge people. I have no right to judge people.

Yes we all have excuses, why we can't lose weight, why we can't be faithful, why we can't stop smoking, why we can't stop drinking. The difference is people are willing to give you a pass on the other things, but not weight. I had excuses some BS some real. Once I got one of my issues taking care of, the light switch clicked on and now I can't wait to get to the gym.

Call me a hippie, liberal or whatever they label me with these days but I say no one should hate on anyone.
    i'm going to call you a 'nice person', because i'm mean that way.
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I agree with them that whining is not the way to overcome a problem. But I can't get on board with their idea that fat people need to feel ashamed of themselves in order to get the weight off.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options

I get angry too when skinny's get slandered, but for some odd reason that's more acceptable then if a slender person was to shame a fat person.

It is more acceptable, I get rude comments all the time in public about how I look gross. Okay, there is no need to put me down to make yourself feel better. Sick of it.

You think that doesn't happen when you're fat? I'm working on my health, and have lost count of the number of times people have yelled things from cars at me while I'm walking, snide remarks at the gym, walking in the mall, everywhere.

There are always going to be bullies in this world, regardless of which end of the scale you're on. I can only feel sorry for them, how sad their lives must be that they get pleasure out of making fun and trying to hurt others.
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    I am a lover of everyone. Fat, skinny, straight, gay...you name it. Live the way you want.

I am fat, I know I'm fat and I strive to be skinny or in shape. If I WANT to look skinny, why would I hate on that? If I dig down deep within myself, I know it all boils down to jealousy. Hate is a strong word. I'd say I'm more jealous of in shape people. Hopefully one day I can be there with them and lose the negative self-talk.
  • CidCecilia
    Options
    I wouldn't say I support fat hate, but I very much dislike fat acceptance. I will never accept obesity or people who think being over weight is "healthy", because if you define healthy by stuff that's good for your body, then being over weight isn't. That's a fact. Of course there's no need for discrimination, but accepting one of society's civilisation diseases seems retarded to me.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    This article upsets me.. there are health issues and reasons as to why certain people are overweight (or underweight for that matter) I have hypothyroidism and as hard as I have been trying, the scale is not moving. I have gained weight recently and it wasn't because Im lazy or ate too much, my metabolism literally started to shut itself down.. On the other hand, I have a friend that is a size 0-2 that cannot keep weight on her. We are both seeing endocrinologists and a slew of new doctors to try and figure things out. I dont think its fair to say anyone should feel ashamed of what they are.. yes everyone should strive to be healthy but putting people down is not going to make that happen. Chances are if you treat someone poorly for being overweight, they will go home and eat more because it comes down to their mindset.. I personally wouldn't hate on anyone's weight, I may try to positively help them but I wouldnt never say someone is lazy or selfish strictly based on their looks and weight. Its unfair. You don't know the persons story. I guess basically what Im saying is that this couple is going about things the wrong way. They should be motivating people, not putting them down.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I think that perhaps they need to work on their insides as well as their outsides.

I see too many people who worship physical fitness and prop it up on a pedestal as being a complete person. This is often too true of people who were once considered fat or obese and then achieved a more healthy lifestyle. The problem is, they use physical health to try and fill a void in their spirit or cover for emotional issues in their mind. What comes from that is stuff like these articles are made of. You end up with a fit person who lacks character, compasion, and understand of health and wellness. They only have one part covered. The easiiest part, I think.

I can't say I am completely free of bias and "wrong" thinking about others at times, but having a concisouness of it allows me to continue to work on it. Hopefully others will figure that part out as they grow and mature.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I once was obese and have achieved a healthier lifestyle. And I still don't have "compassion," if that's what you want to call it, for people who consistently make bad decisions and refuse to take responsibility for them. And that's what it's called when an obese person makes excuses for why they're obese. I know firsthand how much "character" and "understanding of health and wellness" it takes to lose 100+ lbs entirely on your own. I've done it. So don't tell me that I'm a bad person because I'm sick of the laziness and the excuses from people who don't want to try.

And please spare me the "They do want to try. Do you think they like being obese?" argument. I think they LOVE being obese. I think it's a security blanket. It's a sandbox for them to stick their heads into so they don't have to confront their real issues (i.e. why they ate themselves into obesity in the first place). If they hated it so much, they'd be doing something about it. Again, I speak from firsthand experience. You want to talk about compassion? Where is THEIR compassion for themselves, not to mention the people around them who have to live with the consequences of their decisions?
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating, my mom is extremely overweight with no health conditions causing it.. only conditions caused by her weight and she sees no reason to lose weight or really to even try. She is 45 years old and can barely walk. We have a lot of heart conditions in our family and it worries me that she might not live long enough to see grandkids.. but I cant force her to care.. I do agree with that.