BMI - how much do you depend on your BMI #

Options

Replies

• floodedlungs
    Options
    I know that BMI isn't always accurate but I do pay quite a lot of attention to it - possibly too much. I'm trying to just focus on how my body looks.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Ignore the BMI, it was never intended to be used by an individual to assess their fitness. It was intended to be used in measuring for a population.

Based on BMI I will be considered overweight until I get down to 10% bodyfat, and I am not particularly muscular!

Bodyfat is a better measure, you could also use waist to height ratio, or just look in the mirror!

This. I'll use it as another reason to hate epidemiology...
  • paulbuxton
    paulbuxton Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    BMI is only flawed if you have a lot of lean muscle mass (athletes or body builders) or don't want to believe what it tells you. It's based on a weight to height ratio and your risk of health issues because of that. If you're BMI is overweight then you're carrying too much weight somewhere.

We got into this discussion last week. It's not how you perceive that you look, it's based on medical issues. You may think you look great at a higher BMI but you will still present with higher health risks because of your weight.

Sorry but BMI really is useless. As has been said (several times above) it was never intended for individual weight measurements. It was for evaluating populations where differences in frame size and muscularity are averaged out. Whilst I hesitate to use wikipedia as a reference it does cover this quite well.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My BMI is now ~18, but I'm far from looking like a stick. It did make me stop dieting in my quest for the perfect body and start doing some light sports instead. To me it was an indication that my bf% is too high and I must build some muscle
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is at the just barely overweight level and you have a little bit of extra fat around the midsection, to me that seems to match up?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    BMI is only flawed if you have a lot of lean muscle mass (athletes or body builders) or don't want to believe what it tells you. It's based on a weight to height ratio and your risk of health issues because of that. If you're BMI is overweight then you're carrying too much weight somewhere.

We got into this discussion last week. It's not how you perceive that you look, it's based on medical issues. You may think you look great at a higher BMI but you will still present with higher health risks because of your weight.

Sorry but BMI really is useless. As has been said (several times above) it was never intended for individual weight measurements. It was for evaluating populations where differences in frame size and muscularity are averaged out. Whilst I hesitate to use wikipedia as a reference it does cover this quite well.

nah it's not useless, it's a guideline. does it fit everyone? no. but does it fit most people? yep.

the majority of people who don't like BMI are the people who are considered "obese" by its scale. shocking? not really. just because you don't like the result, doesn't make the test inaccurate.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is at the just barely overweight level and you have a little bit of extra fat around the midsection, to me that seems to match up?

:huh: Are you serious? This is one of the most whacked comments I have ever seen on the forums and I lurk, A LOT.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

No, it really doesn't match up. The BMI is quite flawed - and if you think the OP is overweight, you may want to rethink your standards.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

No, it really doesn't match up. The BMI is quite flawed - and if you think the OP is overweight, you may want to rethink your standards.

good lord everyone's gonna get all pissy about a completely benign comment. the OP put her picture up and even SAID she has a muffin top she's trying to lose, yet we jump no this poster for restating what the OP already said?

she has more weight to lose by her own admission, and she's BARELY in the overweight category. makes sense to me!

this fake outrage that people are prone to these days is ridiculous. grow a thicker skin.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

nah it's not useless, it's a guideline. does it fit everyone? no. but does it fit most people? yep.

the majority of people who don't like BMI are the people who are considered "obese" by its scale. shocking? not really. just because you don't like the result, doesn't make the test inaccurate.

I see we're doomed to have a love hate relationship...

I'm easily dismissed because I fall into the BMI category of obese and I don't agree with how it's being used. But, the statistician who developed the equation intended for population analysis. It doesn't translate well to individual use; it can apply some generalizations, but it's not exact.

It's kind of like using a HRM while lifting weights. The algorithm just wasn't meant to be used that way, and so the calculation is off. You could use it as a rough estimate, but it really just doesn't work well.

Do I still wonder what my BMI is as I lose weight, sure, but I'm not going to let it define me. I'll ask my doctor to run tests if I'm worried about specific diseases I might be at risk for. I don't think it should be used as it is (in schools for example, kids are being labeled as "fat" based on BMI and parents are being sent letters informing them of such with suggested diet plans).
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    BMI is crap, get some calipers to be most accurate. My BMI considers me obese, but I actually am at 12% BF and fairly muscular.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to that number at all.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do you think the BMI is a good indication of a healthy weight? I know I have a muffin - top I'm working on it, but what do you think about the standards for the BMI?

I think the standards for BMI are good when used as they were meant to be used, which is a population based evaluator. On an individual level it is valuable as an easy and quick way check for a weight related red flag. But to really determine if weight is an issue on the individual level other factors need to be considered.

It is unfortunate that a number of insurance companies and clinicians have begun using it alone as an indicator of health for individuals.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I see we're doomed to have a love hate relationship...

I'm easily dismissed because I fall into the BMI category of obese and I don't agree with how it's being used. But, the statistician who developed the equation intended for population analysis. It doesn't translate well to individual use; it can apply some generalizations, but it's not exact.

It's kind of like using a HRM while lifting weights. The algorithm just wasn't meant to be used that way, and so the calculation is off. You could use it as a rough estimate, but it really just doesn't work well.

Do I still wonder what my BMI is as I lose weight, sure, but I'm not going to let it define me. I'll ask my doctor to run tests if I'm worried about specific diseases I might be at risk for. I don't think it should be used as it is (in schools for example, kids are being labeled as "fat" based on BMI and parents are being sent letters informing them of such with suggested diet plans).

haha nah don't worry, I actually agree with the general idea of what you said here. it's not perfect, it's not exact, and the fact that it's used regarding insurance and the like is a bit ridiculous.

however, it's still a decent GUIDELINE that hasn't been prone to changes in the societal perception of what's "normal". in the 1850's when it was created, people were much thinner on average than they are today. There weren't as many fat people, and there also weren't as many "ripped" people. my argument is this: just because our population has changed due to societal factors, why does that mean that the metric is inherently bad? Can't it just mean that our perceptions of what's "healthy" don't gel with reality?
  • santje00
    santje00 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! I'd say the BMI guideline doesn't apply to you. According to BMI my ideal weight is about 126 pounds, but 130 - 135 is better for me. So you see, it isn't always right ;)
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    BMI is crap, get some calipers to be most accurate. My BMI considers me obese, but I actually am at 12% BF and fairly muscular.

calipers are no more accurate than online calculators. most BF% measuring tools are unreliable, but you can give yourself a decent idea by always using the same method and comparing.
  • pghlulu
    pghlulu Posts: 42
    Options
    Um, is anyone else seeing the picture I am seeing? Love handles? Where? That stomach looks toned.

I had a BMI of almost overweight when I started my journey and my stomach looked nowhere near that good.

BMI is too general and generic to base your individual goals on....
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It is, and always was intended as a rough method of estimating obesity in populations, but it generally is pretty accurate unless you are very heavily muscled.

I monitor my body fat as well. I can't say that there's an inconsistency. My fat percentage is low although not athlete-low, and, depending on which BMI calculation used (a new one was recently suggested), my BMI is underweight or low normal. I am not underweight. I'm 5'2".
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I don't even look at it anymore. I'm about 3 lbs from being "overweight" according to BMI charts. I wear a size 6 or 8 in most pants.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I don't depend on my BMI at all.
    My BMI says I'm overweight but my Body Fat % is in the normal range.