Replies

• Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    You're not eating enough.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Also, a lot of people will tell you that your expectations are unrealistic and you should be eating more than 1200 calories.

...and that's the only applicable part of this post.
  • Johanne1957
    Johanne1957 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? I went through this a few years ago until I hired a trainer and he told me I wasn't eating enough...after he re-set my diet with more calories, I lost 6lbs the first week!

Try an online calculator to find out how many calories you should be eating in a day...
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, yeah you're probably right. I have the 30DS but haven't used it yet. So tonight I will take measurements and pics and maybe eat a few more calories. I would be happy with 12 pounds, or even ten pounds but seeing the +2 is just so discouraging. I think I am too scale obsessed and I should probably stop that. Do you think 1 liter of water is enough?

I think if you give 30 DS a good shot, you'll see nice changes in measurements. Sometimes people don't necessarily see a huge drop in lbs., but if they begin to drop off it will be toward the middle or end of week 2...so don't give up or get discouraged. Just be consistent, keep eating healthy, and do the workout to the best of your ability. You'll probably be pleased with the results. Good luck to you and congrats on the impending marriage!
  • bigapplepie
    bigapplepie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Consider how long it took you to gain the weight. Then set a realistic goal of 1 pound a week. That's conservative enough to account for those plateaus you will hit. I was also 200 pounds and gave myself 2 years to lose 50. As it happened I lost it in 18 months. Whatever happens, don't starve yourself and don't be afraid to get include some simple carbs in you before exercise and complex carbs and protein afterwards.

I found the Men's Health forums useful in keeping me accountable for achieving my diet and exercise goals.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    So for the past few weeks I've been eating 1200 calories a day. I'm 5'6" and now 200 pounds. This week my weight went from 198 on monday back to 200 today. I work out 5 days a week, 30 min, using HIIT dvd's. I am always hungry it seems. I sometimes will eat back around a third of my exercise calories. I might also mention that I am new to working out. Am I holding water from the workouts? I am drinking about 1 liter a day. How can my weight go up 2 pounds in 2 days with so much of a calorie deficit. I am just so bummed out that the scale is not going down. I am getting married in 3 months and would like to lose 20 pounds. What am I doing wrong?
    You're female. You should expect this.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Measure!!! I never have in teh past but this time around I am. I was very upset with only losing a few pounds the last few weeks but I lost 2 in off my waist and 4 off my hips! Measuring will make you feel better! I went from no work outs to pretty intense 6 days a week, the losing is slower this time then in the past when I have lost but it is showing more and my body is looking better, it will pay off keep up the good work!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry all the time, you're not doing a diet that is right for your body. Example: I used to do calorie counting, low-fat, high carb diets, and failed miserably. I had the willpower and the discipline, BUT I stayed hungry and never lost an ounce! What I ended up doing was introduce ONLY high quality, whole foods to my diet, this included full fat cheese and butter. YUM! I said "no" to crappy, store bought desserts. I started eating fruit as dessert...plain, fresh fruit. If I had rice, then I'd skip other starches and bread. If I had bread, I'd skip rice and other starches. (You should eat a protein/fat, veggie (green veggies, mainly), and a fruit at each meal. I cut back on my portion sizes. (It's easy to do this when you're treating yourself to a wide variety of flavors during each meal.) Stop snacking. Zero. You don't need it. If you're eating well, you won't want it, either. I read "French Women Don't Get Fat" and used it as my guide/bible. Eat mindfully. Don't feel guilty when eating--you are ALLOWED to enjoy your food! Stop when you're full. I did this and lost 15 lbs. pretty fast (a few months). I lost 1-2 lbs per week, at first, then .5 lbs per week after. The good thing about FWDGF, Is that it's set on a 3 month recasting period, so you could reasonably lose 15-20 lbs. by your wedding. Good luck!!!
  • jsbieniek
    jsbieniek Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't mea to hi-jack the OP's post. But along those same lines, I started out 3 months ago at 1200 calories and working out 4 times a week (plus 30 minutes on the exercise bike daily). I eat back some of my calories, not all. On the recommendations I've read on MFP I upped my calories to 1300 a week ago. This week I've noticed I feel more sluggish. How quickly do you up your calories? My fear is that if i do it all at once I will gain, whereas if I do it gradually my body will adjust to it over time and I shouldn't gain. The goal is to lose weight and be healthy. Afraid I am working against myself right now!
  • GettinIT6
    GettinIT6 Posts: 44
    Options
    hey hey! I don't get notifications on posts so I thought I would message you! How often do you weight yourself? It could easily be water or sodium or even sugar....how did you decide on teh 1200 calorie goal? Are you watching protein, carbs, fat? Do you take any supplements/vitamins?
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have considered measuring but then I figured if I was losing inches I would be able to tell by how my clothes were fitting. I guess its worth a shot!

I used to think that, then when I started losing, I initially got discouraged b/c I was still wearing the same jeans....the thing was, I was wearing stretch jeans! So, they were stretching out to basically one size larger, and I wore them until I was in a size smaller without even realizing they were fitting differently. Definitely do measurements! :)
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    Also, a lot of people will tell you that your expectations are unrealistic and you should be eating more than 1200 calories.

In your opinion, perhaps. I know what works for me.
  • ctroxell2004
    Options
    I was doing the same thing-I'm 5"1 and I was eating 1200 a day....I was always hungry no matter what.

I stepped it up to 1600 calories a day and have been losing inches on my waist and also notice my face and neck is thinner....
    but haven't noticed a change on the scale.

So don't LIVE by the scale.
    Seriously......only weigh yourself once a week-it might help with you not seeing any progress.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Don't eat back your exercise calories.

Whatever you do, don't listen to this. You should be eating back your exercise calories unless you have done the TDEE method where they are factored in.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Yup and what will you do after you get married? Throwing my 2 cents in because its my opinion day will you continue to do this 20 years from now or is this just to look good in wedding pictures?
  • rhelenl
    rhelenl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm 5'7, 205 lbs. I lost 40lbs in 6 months on my own (before I discovered MFP) and I seem to have hit a plateau since joining. I'm eating 1200 calories/day based on the info I put into MFP (desk job, lose 2 lbs per week, etc) and I eat back my workout calories (4-5 workouts/week ranging from cardio to HIIT to weight training) and the scale seems to be stuck at 205 for the past month.

I eat smaller meals more often throughout the day, I've found this way leaves me feeling satisfied all day and less likely to reach for junk or get the munchies. I upped my water intake to 2 litres per day and I noticed that I'm not hungry as often. I would try the smaller meals/more often if that is something that works for your lifestyle. Also increase your water intake, I think I read somewhere that sometimes your brains says you are hungry when really your body is thirsty.

I really haven't noticed a difference in clothing size or muscle definition on my plateau. Based on the advice others gave you I think I might up my calories to 1500 (plus eating back workout cals) to do a 1lb/week deficit, that may be what my body needs and also will be more sustainable moving forward.

Good luck to you! I hope we both see a difference soon!
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options

But she's 5'6, 200 pounds, eating 1200 calories PLUS workout videos for 30 minutes, which could be around 200 calories lost. With this, she's only truly eating 1000 calories. That's terrible for someone her weight. Not healthy at the least bit. It's probably killing her metabolism. Baby steps.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, a lot of people will tell you that your expectations are unrealistic and you should be eating more than 1200 calories. If it works for you, it's perfectly fine. I eat 1200-1300 calories per day and am completely satisfied. I never eat back my exercise calories and I typically lose 1.5-2lbs. per week. I am down 16lbs in 6 weeks and I am definitely not undereating or starving myself. I'm also not in a rush to lose weight, but I'm not going to complain about it coming off easily. Everyone is different and you just have to find what works for your body.

Start monitoring body composition and you will probably change your mind. Not all weight loss is the same. There is weight loss and then there is fat loss. Weight loss is fat + lean body mass (LBM) and fat loss is just that, fat. Minimizing LBM loss should be a goal during your journey. The more lbm you have, the tighter and more lean you will be. Also, if you have more lbm, you will need to lose less weight overall to achieve your goal.

Now, since the OP only has 30 ish lbs to lose, aiming for one lb per week is ideal. Also, making sure you aim for 1g of protein per lb of lbm (about 70-80% of your total weight would suffice) and around .35g of protein per lb of lbm is ideal as well. Higher protein will help maximize muscle retention. Below is a good link to demonstrates the difference of how a body can look when you have more lbm. This girl gained 20lbs of muscle and has a leaner and tighter body. The perception that you need to weigh less to look better is false.

Also, it's a lot easier to maintain lbm than gain lbm; when you gain muscle, you need to go through bulk and cut cycles.

OP, since you are doing 30DS, just set your account to lightly active and 1 lb per week. You can adjust macro's to around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats and this can help ensure your P/F is adequate.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to eat your exercise calories back. If you're hungry all the time, you may want to consider eating more. I'm 5'6" and 10 pounds heavier than you are. I eat 1600 calories a day plus most or all of my exercise calories (and I do some form of exercise almost every day, which means I typically eat 1800-1900 calories every day). I also try to drink 3 liters of water every day.
    My goal is set to lose 1.5 lbs a week, and I've lost almost 24 pounds since the beginning of January.

Weight can fluctuate several pounds in a day for any number of reasons, and new or vigorous workouts can cause your muscles to retain water, which may show up on the scale. It will come back off, and drinking lots of water will help with water retention.

Take body measurements, measure/weigh your food, and eat a modest calorie deficit. If you focus on building a healthy body and fueling it properly, you will like the end result, even if it takes a little longer to get there. I'm smaller now than I was when I got married 3 and a half years ago. Of course I would have liked to have been smaller at my wedding, but I didn't know then what I know now.

Make it a lifestyle, not a destination.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

...le sigh. Tell me again how eating below your bmr is healthy?
    argue with science all you want to, it's amusing to watch.

you gave bad advice, it's okay. I'm not judging YOU for it, but if you start getting poopy and defending it, then we'll have problems.