I am a newbie, and I am fat.

Options
Yes, I can say it. I am FAT. Yesterday, my scale read 181 lbs. Today, it was down to 180.5 lbs. I am 5'2", so technically this makes me OBESE. I am 33 years old and a mother of 3 boys. This year marks my 15 year wedding anniversary, and I am DETERMINED to knock all the baby weight off and get back down to my wedding weight. I have been trapped in a dieting cycle that never ends with me losing and keeping weight off. I have tried Medifast, Nutrisystem, Sugarbusters, Atkins, South Beach...you name it, I've probably attempted it, but none of these have worked...and it has become apparent that the one thing that all these diets had in common was me. I always have a reason to give up. So I'm here to try to hold myself accountable and FORCE myself to exercise. I really have a strong dislike of exercise. I know some people love it, but I'm one of the few that doesn't get the endorphin rush. Exercise just zaps me...always has even when I was a teenager and running track. But as a first step, I threw the clothing that was draped on my exercise bike on to the floor and hopped on the bike for a 15 minute brisk ride this morning, and I intend to hop on for another ride this evening. Hopefully, I can keep myself motivated to ride for 30 minutes a day for one whole week. This is my mini goal. BABY STEPS!!

Replies

• DainaLC
    DainaLC Posts: 18,937 Member
    Options
    Well, it sounds like you are on the right track or bike I should say. I'm right there with you! You can do this, you are in control!!
  • ssb1662
    ssb1662 Posts: 26
    Options
    :love: Welcome to MFP.
    Don't diet, just start small changes in your health habits.
    It is ok to throw out the food left on your kids' plates - - or save it for them to eat when they are hungry and want a snack. Don't eat it yourself.
    Don't exercise, just park a few spots farther away from the door.
    When of if you fold laundry, keep the basket on the floor and bend over to get each piece out of the basket or dryer.

Small changes, big results.

Happy Anniversary is coming!
  • 04sprj0
    04sprj0 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was slightly heavier than you after my operation. I like you disliked exercise. Once I got down to a certain weight I joined exercise classes. I had to motivate myself to go once a week before but then I started going twice, then three, now I do 4 - 5 workouts a week and love it. I couldn't not exercise now or I feel worse for it. You'll get there. :)
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    well best of luck to you..... from your brief story it seems to me that you keep trying to do the things you hear works or you read about with all the whatever diets you've done. I think people tend to over-complicate weight loss at times. The reasons you can't stick to the diets is because it may be wrong for you. There is about 7 billion people in this world and thus 7 billion different diets to choose from. No matter what you do it seems like you need to do something sustainable. Which means something that you like to do. What is the point of killing yourself to join a fad diet if it works, but you hate it your not gonna stick with it. weight loss is a simple formula.... move more, eat less. Find something that you actually enjoy doing to find something that you will stick with. It sounds like you may hate the bike.... then try dance videos or something, maybe wii fit anything that is a physical activity you like doing. I used to hate doing cardio I found that racquetball is my nitch and I love it and get it in at least 4 times a week. I can play it for 2 hours without even noticing the time went by and I burned 800 or so cals. Find stuff that works for YOU find stuff that you enjoy or else it will only be temporary and not permanent. Best of luck to you! there are thousands of people on here making the same change you are everyday. find your nitch and stick to it
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Baby steps are great ..... every step gets you closer to your goal.

Just change one habit at a time .... many people try to do everything at once & just get overwhelmed and burn out.

Re: exercise ...... find something you like. Keep trying different things. My journey was like this. I exercised(hated) & dieted ... when I was "done" dieting I quit exercise and .... the weight came right back. Repeated that a couple times (doh!).

I found I had to make permanent changes to keep the weight off. I got a subscription to Netflix (by mail) ..... and tried a new exercise video every week. Some videos I liked .... some I disliked .... but I found some I LIKED!

Exercise can be a sport, hiking, hula hooping ..... lots of stuff qualifies .... just so your are moving.
  • Utahgirl12
    Utahgirl12 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Your story rings so many bells with me! Just keep on keeping on, and logging in here for support. Feel free to add me as a friend. We'll get there!
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You can to do this, we will be here to help you.

When you are happy, we are happy. When you are sad, we are sad. When you are hungry, we will probably have already had lunch :laugh: But we will be here when you need us so you don't give up! Coming to these forums actually keeps me coming back to MFP each day.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Recognizing that the FAD diets don't work is a biggy, but you need to think of it as a LIFESTYLE change not a diet. Its about being HEALTHY! Take it slow and just start by writting down and recording everything you eat, don't even worry about the calories and don't change how you eat at first. It will give you an idea of how you can slowly change your habits. Just adding exercise and not changing what you eat won't work either. Its what I had done for over a year. The first week i got back to CHANGING my diet i saw immediate results. 80% of it is your diet. Also try something that is going to get you moving that isn't too stressful for your body, even something like a 30 min walk will burn calories. Its important to make changes that are comfortable for you that you can maintain throughout your life...
  • mforsis
    mforsis Posts: 41
    Options
    When I was your age, I had a bubbly enthusiastic friend who ran for exercise. She convinced me to try it. I buttoned my lip and let her dictate the experience. She decided on a 3 times per week, 3 km walk / run til I was able to run it gently. At some point, after at least 2 months I experienced a 'runner's high. It was nothing short of transformational. Since then, I have had a completely different view of exercise and the effect it has on my mood. Especially, if my mood is low, I make sure I exercise to reduce the cravings for food as comfort. I am still a gentle exerciser but try only to be consistent.

The first step may have been to remove the 'I hate exercise' (and oh man did I ) thoughts from my head and just take a step forward.

I guess what I am saying is that I feel exercise should to be part of the 'new you plan ' Those plans tend to work best if you approach them positively.

Best of Luck
  • Lucy_6678
    Lucy_6678 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Add me as a friend if you would like. I am 34 and have 2 step-daughters. I don't run but I don't mind exercise. My problem is food!
  • barron1982
    Options
    Kudos to you. Don't look back just keeping moving foward. Like you i decided it was time to lose all my baby weight.
  • Disneynut
    Disneynut Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, you have taken the first important step and the rest is going to be your special journey, one which as you say may take small steps, but each of those steps will be in the right direction.

Use the support from those here, you will find we are a friendly and helpful bunch, feel free to add me if you want a little encouragement or the odd kick (if necessary). :happy:
  • maggpie999
    Options
    I am setting small goals for myself too. I am 178, gotta get down to 140 or less. Good job on exercising though, you'll make it if you hang in there and keep the goal in mind in everything you do. Mind over matter. Patience is key as well. Rome wasnt built in a day. It is going to take me forever too. I have started recently eating less carb and more fruit and veg. It is slow going but I lost 3 pound in 1.5 week just journaling all the food and doing landscaping (it is hot in NC right now.) YOU CAN DOO ITT (:
  • TT64
    TT64 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You are honest with yourself, and that is so important! Sounds to me like you are on the right track now! I am new here, just started a few days ago, and I can tell you, this site is a great tool! Everyone is so supportive, and keeping track of your food and exercise intake is so easy, and seeing what you have eaten throughout the day makes you really think about what you are going to put in your mouth. I love that!
    I have a lot of weight to lose, and I feel this site and it's wonderful members are going to really help! Good luck, and please feel free to add me as a friend. We all can use as much support as we can get!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Empowering isn't it?

Welcome to the site.
  • c2hrist3a
    c2hrist3a Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Guess what? I'm an oldie and I'm fat. I've been at this about a year now and I still don't like going to the gym, but I LOVE the feeling when I'm leaving. You aren't going to love it right away, maybe you never will. Watching that scale go down will make you feel OUTSTANDING!

You've got this. I'll add you.

:flowerforyou:
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track.
    A two prong approach is best. Start exercising gradually, whether it's a walk or a dvd, and adapt normal eating habits that don't limit any one food (I know what it's like to be on South Beach and then reintroduce those "bad" foods, but I'm still losing weight, so don't be afraid of a good carb). Be mindful of what you are eating, read nutrition labels (use the app to scan them, so easy) and measure everything. Cook your own food more and dine out less. You won't feel deprived eating whatever you want in measured quantities and you'll lose weight!

Good luck!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    You sound ready.

The best thing about being here is that nearly everyone knows the truth - this isn't a phase. Your new food plan will be permanent. Make no mistake, if you make temporary changes you'll have temporary results.

The good news is that you don't need to exercise nearly as much as you think.
  • Fit2Skinnyme33
    Fit2Skinnyme33 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, I am 5'2 and 194 right now, and I wouldn't consider myself FAT or Obese; its negative thinking and you will never be motivated if you look at yourself that way. I have lost 20lbs so far and I am trying really hard to get to 189 and you calling yourself fat at 181 kind of offends me. I think I look great right now and am striving every day to look better than yesterday.

Good for you for starting a life style change, its baby steps and first and foremost never call yourself fat because then one day when you are having a rough day, you will eat crappy food and think "well I am still fat so I mind as well eat it just for today". Today's choices are next month's body. I have to remind myself all the time. I even started running which is something I haven't done since high school and plan on doing a 5k in about 2 months.

I am a mother as well so I know the "stripes" we have earned by bringing some amazing personalities in this world and it changes your body but I think calling yourself fat is unfair.

Good luck, stick to it!
  • BLBrinegar
    Options
    Best of luck! Try adding B12 to your diet for more energy. I used to want to take a nap after exercise because I just felt worn out. I started taking B12 (one tablet a day) and it has helped me tremendously! As for diets, just try eating less, or in moderation...it's easier to do than trying a diet plan of only eating certain foods. I find it easier to set a calorie goal, and watch how many calories I'm putting into my mouth. You don't have to deprive yourself, but do watch what you are consuming. Also, B12 tends to suppress your appetite somewhat.